• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

one clean powder, suitable for 9mm and .45ACP?

Tomekeuro85

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
Chicago Suburbs, IL
I don't reload for pistol, but I want to get into it.

I failed at searching but what I'm looking for is a powder that burns clean, and will work well in both 9mm and .45

This is for plinking ammo only, won't ever be chrono'd or used for any kind of serious competition.. Just want to make a universal load for my 2 pistols, and my friends' two pistols of 9mm and .45ACP. Don't want to make a huge mess to clean up but don't want to kill the bank.

THanks in advance.

Re: one clean powder, suitable for 9mm and .45ACP?

I have used VV 340 of a bunch of years for 9mm, 40S&W, and 45. You should be higher on the chart for .45ACP with 200grainers, but 230 FMJ is good at all powder charge levels. JPG

Side note, does anyone use ranier bullets?

Trying to get the cheapest price ammo possible to get as much shooting done as we can.

I've shot a few thousand of both ranier and berry's plated bullets ( http://www.berrysmfg.com/ ) in 45.
Both worked fine for plinking, IDPA, etc.
I tend not to load my own 9mm.
CW

Ranier bullets are great. If you watch midway they put them on sale every couple months. I use hp 38 for both. Can also try montana gold bullets, and berrys bullets.

I've used the Rainier bullets, and the only thing to keep in mind is that they're plated rather than jacketed. They should be fine for all .45 and 99% of loads for a 9mm, just don't push velocities much over 1250fps or so.

I've settled on WSF for reloading these claibers, and it's consistent, meters well, and is pretty clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't reload for pistol, but I want to get into it.

I failed at searching but what I'm looking for is a powder that burns clean, and will work well in both 9mm and .45

This is for plinking ammo only, won't ever be chrono'd or used for any kind of serious competition.. Just want to make a universal load for my 2 pistols, and my friends' two pistols of 9mm and .45ACP. Don't want to make a huge mess to clean up but don't want to kill the bank.

THanks in advance. </div></div>

please dont try to fit that brass into yer pistols it wont werk. thems fer rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BamaLoaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Titegroup for both. </div></div>
+1. I love Titegroup. Low charge weights, good velocity, very versitile, and CLEAN!

VV N320. Been shooting it for 10 years in my 45's. A couple of bucks more than the rest, but worth it.

I've had very good results from Titegroup which I'm still using. It achieves normal velocities with very low charge weights and is clean burning. It does seem to burn hotter than other powders I've used, it really heats guns up. I've also used a lot of Hodgdon Universal with very good results but you need to use close to max charges, if you go too light on the powder charge, you start getting incomplete ignition and lots of unburned powder left in the gun.

I like Titegroup since it can also be used for subsonic rifle loads... Hodgdon even has data for this.

Sounds like titegroup is the way to go for my uses...and 1lb is only $14.xx from powdervalley... not bad at all.

clays universal, clean, hard to double load, good velocity works in the scattergun too

I use Alliant Power Pistol for my 9mm and zero brand bullets 124 gr JHP's. Zero has 45 ACP bullets as well. Bought all through Powder Valley. Just an FYI, if you are going to order and have it shipped order as much as you can afford and think you'll use to spread out the hazmat charge on your order. 4lbs of powder for pistol rounds will go a long ways.

You can also contact Zero bullet company directly and get load data for your bullets.

Good afternoon,

Just as the gentlemen above have said, Titegroup and Power Pistol have been excellent for 9mm, 45 ACP, and 40 S&W. My favorite Major Load for USPSA Limited division (40 S&W) is Titegroup and 180 grain bullets. I also use a reduced charge of Titegroup in 40 S&W for IDPA Enhanced Service Pistol division, also with 180 grain bullets. Very clean burning powder.

Power Pistol is my all around favorite pistol powder....great velocity without high pressures, and I find it, too, burns very clean for me. I've used them behind jacketed & plated bullets. It really maximizes the performance of all the semi-auto pistol cartridges commonly used.

Hope this helps you.

Warmest regards,
Rob

P.S. I did notice you said it was for plinking only, but if you do happen to shoot competition at some point in Open division, Titegroup is not a good choice since it doesn't produce enough gas to make a compensator very effective. Please understand I don't have direct experience with this, but a friend of mine who shoots Open warned me of this when I was considering open class for this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Side note, does anyone use ranier bullets?

Trying to get the cheapest price ammo possible to get as much shooting done as we can. </div></div>

I use Win 231. No since in getting hooked on expensive Vit powders if you don't have to.

I buy pistol bullets from Precision delta. CHEAP CHEAP, don't tell anyone.

Ramshot silhouette, if you can find it. I load the one powder in 9mm and .45 acp. Burns clean and nice groups with, berry's, ranier as well as 124grn Hornady XTP/230 xtp for .45.

Another vote for TiteGroup. Was using Berry's bullets but thinking of trying out Montana Gold's for 9mm and 45. I've heard the MG CMJ 147's for 9mm work great with cans.

I don't load 9mm yet, but I plan on starting soon. My plinking loads for .40 and .45 have been developed with Hodgdon's Titegroup and Universal. I've had good results with both but Titegroup is the cleaner burning powder in my experience. I've had good results with Power Pistol but ive only shot full power loads using that powder. Longshot is my go to powder for full power pistol loads, but from my experience it likes to be loaded at max and crimped pretty firmly.

I've used the Ranier plated bullets and found them to be satisfactory for a plinking load, but they were a little soft for my tastes. I tried some of the semi wad cutters in my 1911 and they shot very accurately with Titegroup. Based on what I wanted, i switched to the cheapest jacketed hollow point round I could find which was the Nosler JHPs. I shoot those in 40 and 45 and have been very pleased.