• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

One glass for multiple rifles?

LRS_Ranger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2010
Molalla, OR
Maybe someone will have tried this before so I don't have to learn the hard way...

So I spent way more than I should have on some awesome new glass for my 6.5 grendel. It has occurred to me that I would really like to be able to use this optic on another rifle or two as well, though that will not be the primary usage. To do this, I have been pondering getting a Larue quick disconnect SPR mount. If I zero on my 6.5, I should be able to record the zero settings, zero out the turrets, and then record the changes for every other rifle I put it on. Changing rifles should be as simple as swapping over the Larue mount and changing to the known zero setting.

Has anyone else ran an optic like this? Theoretically it should work, but does anyone have any hands on experience? Are the Larue mounts that good? Thanks for the help all,
-Nathan

Re: One glass for multiple rifles?

I have done this in the past. It was never exactaly on when I switched back and forth, but close enough to dial in with in a shot or two.

Plus I never really trusted any quick release mounts. I know Larue has a excellent reputation, that obviously was earned, but I would rather do a set of Picatinny rings.

I've done this on a few scopes but don't recommend it. You'll get confused sooner or later. I've used ARMS and no probs there. Just that adjusting and re-zeroing the scope makes room for mistakes in the long run.

If you use only the reticle for corrections (like Horus) it could be a bit easier. Also if all the guns are of the same platform (like AR-15) you don't have to make compromises (like ring height and placement).

Tried it. They come close, but never close enough
frown.gif

Honestly you can't ever have enough good glass.

I have done it also. Bought a great scope to use while I saved for a another one. Little bit of a pain, but still better than having multiple peaces of junk.

I was going to do this for a bolt gun and an AR but the height difference was too great. So I bit the bullet go an awesome scope for my AR for hunting purposes and plan to place a cheap Nikon Monarch on my new tacticial build until I can afford a USO for the nail driver......
Just my $.02

I don't think it would be soo bad if you were doing it in the same platform with same/similar caliber. This screams foal to me. I have to agree with the other fella....sooner or later you are going to mess up and get the scope wayyyy off. I think that eventually you will also wear out the mount. Sure they are quick release, but not 4 times a week. Eventually it is going to give out or get enough play in the mount where it won't work properly and groups will suffer. You are also going to scar/damage your rail over time. Again, not meant to mount/unmount in the same spot multiple times a week. Eventually there will be some wear there and the mount won't fit right on the rail. All of this is speculative of course. I would just buy a decent used optic that best suits your needs in your price range and run that on the other gun(s).

Thanks for the help all.. I'm thinking that I might just go with standard rings.. Unfortunately not many companies make 34mm rings it seems. Larue, Badger, Leupold, and TSR are the only ones I can come up with after pouring through Brownells and Midway catalogs. Is there anything other than brand name that makes the TSR half the cost of the Badger's?

Seekins Precision but the price is on par with Badger's. You won't find too many cheap options as most people with the coin to purchase a 34mm tubed scope also have it to buy the quality rings.

What I have found that works real well is some Badger or Seekins low rings and a Badger Ord 22 MOA base for the Ar type rifle and a Seekins / Badger standard 20 MOA base for bolt actions.

The ring height is perfect for both bases and since both rifles are 22 MOA / 20 MOA its not much of a adjustment if any for elevation.

One more nice point is the once you set the rings you only have to adjust the rings on the base to get tight.

John

If you are going to do this I would reccommned good rings torqued correctly to ensure as accurate a return to zero as possible.

A second tool to make this even more useable and remove most of the confusion is if you use Loadbase software either in PDA for or to make your charts as this now has a zero offset feature allowing it to calculate for you different zeroes either because of moving a scope between rifles or a switch barrel system on one rifle or even just for different loads in one rifle.

Ewen

Some excellent rings to try this out with (not QD) are the stuff I've been running for almost a year now. American Rifle makes some excellent rings that return to zero extremely well from my experience, this being due to the rail interface that they have on the picatinny interface surfaces.

www.americanrifle.com

I have a hard time believing that you'll get 2 rifles which share a zero, however, simply writing down the zero to switch between the two and swapping back and forth *could* be done. I don't think that the QD approach is the way to go on this one.

LaRue hands down for QD mounts. However, mounting an optic on different rifles you are bound to screw something up. I know its a tough call due to the cost of optics.