• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One Last Gun

gnfiter3

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2007
Florida
I think this has been asked before, but here's the story, and the question.

I own nice rifles from .22 Rimfire to .308. 10-22 to Rem. 40X and AR-10T, with a Sako 25-06, and 3 AR-15's in there too. I want one more. Don't ask what I'll use it for, just think, I have $ to spend and I want one more.

Now I'm leaning toward a 300 Win or Ultra, as 30 cals have a host of bullet weights to choose from, and I do reload. Pick an off the shelf gun, above .308 Win.

Re: One Last Gun

I see that you need a .338LM or larger. Everyone needs a good .50BMG rifle!!

Seriously, if yer goin big, go BIG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id go with some variety, maybe a 7Mag or 7WSM </div></div>

+1

Go to Surgeon Rifles "In Stock" page, there are some very nice options there...any of them would make you proud to shoot them.

How about some dope on the 338 Lapua? I'm a 30 cal kinda guy, but options are truly open.

I understand that the 7mm shoots flatter than the 300??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gnfiter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about some dope on the 338 Lapua? I'm a 30 cal kinda guy, but options are truly open.

I understand that the 7mm shoots flatter than the 300?? </div></div>

338s are nice in the fact that you get a lot of frontal bearing surface with the bullets and thus they deliver energy really efficiently. The ballistics will vary with bullet selection. There are some nonexpanding solids out there with BCs in the high .8s and better. For expanding and swaged rounds Rocky Mountain bullets has a great bullet but it requires an 8 twist and 2800 fps. Thus you have to get into some of the really overbored 338 to make it work. The Long Range Hunting crowd is really liking the 300 grain SMKs. They are reporting solid clean kills with this bullet.

On the 7mm rounds. The bullet selection is just as good as 30 caliber. And you get the added benefit of better BCs. I'm a 7mm guy and the WSM is a really good round. On that note I also really enjoyed my 300 weatherby. It was an excellent rifle that was fun to shoot.

I love my 338 lapua but this rifle cost alot.

I would say go 300RUM I have a 7RUM and a 375 RUM. I wish i got the 300RUM in stead of the 7mm

+1 on .338 cost. I did a search and $5K is not what I had in mind. Something in a Sedero, 300, or 7MM make $ sense. I'm going to look around and see what's out there for around 3K max.

Armalite even has a 300WSM upper, I assume will go on my lower, around 2K.

Longshot, you're on that 338 dope, aren't you? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gnfiter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on .338 cost. I did a search and $5K is not what I had in mind. Something in a Sedero, 300, or 7MM make $ sense. I'm going to look around and see what's out there for around 3K max.

Armalite even has a 300WSM upper, I assume will go on my lower, around 2K.

Longshot, you're on that 338 dope, aren't you? Thanks </div></div>

Guilty as charged. I've really come to like the 338 rounds. With the bullet selection they are really impressive. As for the price you can get into a 338 for much less then 5K. Two economically efficient option are out there. Both the 338 Lapua and 338 Edge are solid rounds that don't cost a fortune. In fact when Shawn was developing the Edge he used a Remmy action for it. The Lapua can be shot out of a Remmy action but it is better with a Sako in terms of a factory option.

Found the comments of the purpose of a sm interesting. As it is, my range is only a 100 yrds. with a 4 hour drive to the nearest 1K range, so a sm would not be an issue for me. I don't need heavy bullets at that range or any range I currently feel I could hit at with some proficiency. Then I would (practice)X10 to get to the right level. 168's have been all I used and could go lighter, but I have a supply of them for now. It seems I could always shoot 155 scenars for 1K; they certainly have a huge following. When I do make that 4 hour trek, I'm taking my portable load bench with me, and will hotel overnight to get in two days, load that night for day two. Probably will find that what I have will get me out there, but what I know about reading the wind isn't much.

Right now I'm glad that my biggest problem is deciding what next, as practicing to be profienct is a joy.

Thanks for your input.

jas, you're right, I'd be proud with a Surgeon, BROKE TOO! They're over my budget.Then there's the mounts and optics, reloading dies. I know I'll come up with something that fits all the perameters. I don't believe in cheap glass either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gnfiter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One Last Gun

</div></div>

Your title just makes me laugh every time I read it
grin.gif

Good luck.