• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One-Mile Success

GunnyUSMC

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2022
SC
I live in the Charleston SC area and had been developing my capability to shoot One-Mile. However, in order to do that, I had to find a place where i can actually shoot One-Mile.

I found the "One-Mile Club" website and in reading the testimonials there, I learned that there was a place in Clinton SC (The Clinton House) with a one-mile range. They open up the one-mile range once each month to non-members.

Yesterday was the day...

On May 14th, I took my 6.5 Creedmore and showed up at the range at 8:30am. By 9:30am, myself and about 6 others were on the line. They had two one-mile targets one that was about 36"x48" (i think) and one that was just an 18" round plate dubbed the MOA target/challenge for one-mile.

Having never shot my gun further than 800 yards, i wasn't overly confident in my shooting solution out to one-mile. I just trusted my kestrel and put 78.9 MOA on the scope and held right windage at about 2.5MOA. First shot didnt count as it was just for cold bore. On the first shot for record, i could see my hits low and left. I adjusted my holdover and by the third shot I found my sweet spot and was able to not only hit but hit consistently.

Next, I focused my attention on the MOA Challenge (18" round steel) and again, by the third shot, I was able to connect.

A BIG CALL OUT to Mike Sexton (CWO USMC Ret) who was coaching us. He was awesome to work with, provided great insights and advice. THANKS MIKE if you are listening. YOU ROCK!!

Also a Big Call-Out to "The Clinton House" for making this all possible.

IMG_8979.jpeg

Excellent! Glad that you were able to do that, especially with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Last time I posted on here that there are a couple guys I know here in Florida that hit an IPSC at a mile regularly, I was inundated with naysayers telling me that isn’t the right caliber and there’s no way it can be consistent, blah, blah, blah. So I just left the thread to those that think they know better because they’ve never done anything like that themselves.

It sure does bring a smile to hear that target ring from a mile away doesn’t it? Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I found it to be somewhat addicting to do so.

Edit: we don’t have fancy button to show we hit it. 😄

Reactions: atepointer
Nice!!

One day I will get over there and try my luck.

Congrats man. Always nice to see another shooter hit the mile. Also, it is nice to see that they did put an 18" round out there. Technically this is subMOA at 1 mile. Since at 100 yards an MOA is 1.047 inches...which we know is just too small to even think about that 0.047 inches actually matter. But at 1760/100=17.60x1.047 we get 18.4272 inches at 1 mile for an MOA...since the target is 18"....Yep...YOU JUST SHOT A SUB MOA TARGET AT 1 MILE!!!!

WOOO HOO!!!

Congrats again man,

Excellent! Glad that you were able to do that, especially with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Last time I posted on here that there are a couple guys I know here in Florida that hit an IPSC at a mile regularly, I was inundated with naysayers telling me that isn’t the right caliber and there’s no way it can be consistent, blah, blah, blah. So I just left the thread to those that think they know better because they’ve never done anything like that themselves.

It sure does bring a smile to hear that target ring from a mile away doesn’t it? Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I found it to be somewhat addicting to do so.
Thanks...

To be quite honest, i had my own doubts going into it until i heard from a number of others with the 6.5 Creedmore about their success at one-mile. I did a good amount of planning and preparation in the form of equipment, tools, load development, and skill development. I had to learn to trust my equipment and the target and then just go for it. It just all came together nicely and was a real boost to my confidence in my equipment and myself.

Another thing i found interesting was how i was keeping pace with the 338 Lapua to my left and the 300PRC to my right.

Yea... very fulfilling and enlightening

Congrats, its a cool achievement, only issue is u just want to go farther. At a mile your getting close to the limits on that 6.5. It always fun to find the max to where the round falls apart.

Congrats, its a cool achievement, only issue is u just want to go farther. At a mile your getting close to the limits on that 6.5. It always fun to find the max to where the round falls apart.
Don’t tell that to the guys I know that are shooting 2000 with a manbun. They wouldn’t want to hear that it’s not possible.

Don’t tell that to the guys I know that are shooting 2000 with a manbun. They wouldn’t want to hear that it’s not possible.
Must have miss read my post I said closeto the limits, I have also done over 2k with a 6.5 and my 260. At 2k your under 1k fps, so again that is getting close to the limits. Just wanting to tell a fellow shooting he is doing a damn good job with what he is shooting nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: lash
Must have miss read my post I said closeto the limits, I have also done over 2k with a 6.5 and my 260. At 2k your under 1k fps, so again that is getting close to the limits. Just wanting to tell a fellow shooting he is doing a damn good job with what he is shooting nothing more, nothing less.
I agree that it’s close to the limits, but that’s really why it’s so much fun once it’s dialed in and you can make hits way out there. Sure, it’s smarter and easier to use the appropriate big bore for these ranges, but the thrill is so much better when hitting a standard IPSC steel target at 1 mile with, say, a 6BR (as an example). Sure, it’s going less than 1000 fps with less than 250 ft/lbs of energy. Yet it still rings steel and is consistent, as long as the wind is consistent, lol.

Reactions: GunnyUSMC

I agree that it’s close to the limits, but that’s really why it’s so much fun once it’s dialed in and you can make hits way out there. Sure, it’s smarter and easier to use the appropriate big bore for these ranges, but the thrill is so much better when hitting a standard IPSC steel target at 1 mile with, say, a 6BR (as an example). Sure, it’s going less than 1000 fps with less than 250 ft/lbs of energy. Yet it still rings steel and is consistent, as long as the wind is consistent, lol.

Thanks guys... I agree as it is so fun and addictive.

I am building a 300PRC as well. My plan is to look for and explore opportunities/challenges for both. Not much available in the Charleston SC area. Open to suggestions.

I live in the Charleston SC area and had been developing my capability to shoot One-Mile. However, in order to do that, I had to find a place where i can actually shoot One-Mile.

I found the "One-Mile Club" website and in reading the testimonials there, I learned that there was a place in Clinton SC (The Clinton House) with a one-mile range. They open up the one-mile range once each month to non-members.

Yesterday was the day...

On May 14th, I took my 6.5 Creedmore and showed up at the range at 8:30am. By 9:30am, myself and about 6 others were on the line. They had two one-mile targets one that was about 36"x48" (i think) and one that was just an 18" round plate dubbed the MOA target/challenge for one-mile.

Having never shot my gun further than 800 yards, i wasn't overly confident in my shooting solution out to one-mile. I just trusted my kestrel and put 78.9 MOA on the scope and held right windage at about 2.5MOA. First shot didnt count as it was just for cold bore. On the first shot for record, i could see my hits low and left. I adjusted my holdover and by the third shot I found my sweet spot and was able to not only hit but hit consistently.

Next, I focused my attention on the MOA Challenge (18" round steel) and again, by the third shot, I was able to connect.

A BIG CALL OUT to Mike Sexton (CWO USMC Ret) who was coaching us. He was awesome to work with, provided great insights and advice. THANKS MIKE if you are listening. YOU ROCK!!

View attachment 8141622
Congrats! Welcome to the club!

Yesterday was the day...

View attachment 8141622
What an awesome accomplishment!! Conratulations!!!!!

...it’s so much fun once it’s dialed in and you can make hits way out there. Sure, it’s smarter and easier to use the appropriate big bore for these ranges, but the thrill is so much better when hitting a standard IPSC steel target at 1 mile with, say, a 6BR (as an example).
I agree lash...I’ve got the big boomers that get out there well but it’s nice play a little with a lesser caliber just to have some fun. I’ve had impacts at targets over a mile with my smaller rifles including a .223, 6 Dasher and 6.5x47 Lapua; hit percentages are not what the larger magnum calibers give me, especially in the wind, but they always put a smile on my face when I see the lights go off.

Reactions: Nachair and lash
Good shooting now time to go for 2 mile club. My personal best 2 of 5 3970 on 50x40 target

Love to find someplace to go beyond one-mile.

I have a 300PRC build underway and not sure how far that can reasonably go. It is based on a Defiant Rukus LA with a 30" Bartlein 1:9.25-9 gain-twist.

Reactions: Willxson
My son and I had a similar experience in Colorado. First finding a place that we could go out over a mile. Then getting to and from the target. We used BLM land near Wilcott, CO.

Came pretty close on the first shot early morning in September 1st 2022. Temperature in the 70s. Low wind. Kestrel giving good data. We made the target out of 2ft x 2ft sheet metal. Had multiple hits, Though, without sound and a good enogh spotting scope, we had little evidence we were hitting the target. Only one strike hit the T- post was obvious at a mile out.

Used a Daniel Defense DD5 V4 . 41.5 gr H4350, 136 gr Lapua Scenars and 147 gr Hornady ELDMs. Probably should have bumped up the load for the Scenars to 42.5 gr H4350. Next time.

Now contemplating getting a 338 Lapua and going out one point five miles. This hobby is addictive!

Attachments

• 20220902_132953.jpg
    20220902_132953.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220901_193511.jpg
    20220901_193511.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 32
I guess I could use that device if I protected it with a metal plate. We're from Minnesota. We usually fly to Colorado. We've run the route of trying to ship AR 500 steel. I've done it once. It's just too expensive.

congrats oh your great shot and to many more to come that looks like a great place to shoot .

Reactions: GunnyUSMC