• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing One more question about my bedding job

Alabama556

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 15, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    Yesterday I bedded my remington 700 in a mcmillian stock. Do I need to hog out more stock material on the sides and by both pillars next time to get rid of the high spots that are still showing?

I am going to shoot it before I rebed. If it shoots good I will leave it alone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      693.7 KB · Views: 14
    If it shoots good I will leave it alone.

Spot on here.

I can't fully tell from pics what is going on. At first I thought you had too little compound in the middle and that's why the coverage looked the way it did. Looking again, maybe just some low areas got filled and thats why it looks the way it does.

I wouldn't actually hog the pillar, but the fiberglass you can sand out a bit if you want.

I would suggest showing it to someone who is good at bedding and seeing what he says.

It looks like you got some air bubbles in your epoxy when you were mixing. You want to try to fold the epoxy together, not wisk it to avoid this. As far as the little bit of pillar showing, that's how I like them..metal on metal contact at the pillar with epoxy supporting the rest. I would do just as you said and shoot it first before doing anything else with it. In the future, be careful about how you mix your bedding compound and don't be afraid to do it again.

I was not going to mess with the pillars. I was going to remove some fiberglass around them. The black dots are from holes I drilled so the bedding would stick.

I am talking about removing enough stock material so I have a final product with no stock showing where the rifle is bedded.

Clean up the ooze and tape and take a file and clean up the stock line and edge of the recoil lug area where there are sharp brittle edges waiting to brake off and get in the way then go out and shoot it. I don't see anything that would suggest that it will not shoot.