• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing One or maybe 2 rifles for SOUTHERN Africa

Muskox

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
Sucky Kentucky
I am in the midst of getting a new job lined up, and I might have the chance to bring a rifle or two with me to Africa. I'll be there for 2-4 years depending on how long their contract last. Right now they have 28 months on it, and they might get to extend.

Here's the reality of our move:

In 4 years time, my oldest kid will be 6, so it's not like it is going to be a family hunting gun.

Ammunition should be of a very common caliber.

I might get to bring one gun, two guns or no guns, and they have to be bolt rifles.

I figure there are two ways to do this, 1. Light and Medium or 2. Light and Heavy.

My light rifle would be a .243 to .323 bullet diameter rifle, and shouldn't really be a magnum. As it will get shot a lot. Maybe a 7mm or 300 Winchester.

My medium rifle would be a 338 Lapua, 340 Weatherby, 338 Winchester, 375 Ruger, 375 H&H and so on.

The Heavy should be something all Africa legal for dangerous game, 400 Jefferies and up, I am thinking a 416 Remington.

I have lots of rifles, 222-458, and if I don't have it I'll just trade for what I want.

The two most probably variables, unless someone sways me either way are 308, 8x57, 30-06, 300 Win, 8x68S and a 375 or 416 of some dimension. Or take my 338 Lapua and my 375 Ruger, both are heavy beanfield type rifles and shoot whatever distance I want.

Most of my hunting there will be on private game reserves, 80-250 yards normal shot, probalby won't be but 1 or 0 buffalo.

Having been to Africa hunting just a few times (not as many as some, more than most), remember that local procurement of ammunition can be very difficult. Other than popular common calibers can be nearly impossible.

Also, consider what may be your intended species for hunting.

If one rifle and plains game is only being considered, a 300 Win Mag or 30-06 will take care of anything on your list. Plus, ammunition is fairly easy to locate.

If dangerous game is considered, two rifles would be the best choice. One of the 30s entioned above plus your 375 rifle of chice.

One rifle for both, the 375 will really do it all.

My preference for all plains game is the 9.3x62. A true hammer and easy to shoot. Though, I have used my 30-06 with good 180 grain bullets on game from steenbuck to blue wildebeast. Personal experience with DG has shown the 416 Rem Mag to be my personal favorite balance of true knock down power, shootability and a long range performer if necessary.

Chose what you like and can shoot well. You would actually be well served by any of your suggested options. As long as you can keep them supplied with ammunition.

Good luck.

7-08 is suppposed to be a great hunting round for something light, otherwise i agree with above 30-06 or 300wm and then 375. 30-06 and 300wm i'm pretty sure you'll be able to find ammo for.

Just a quick and dirty opinion.... if two rifles are a must, one in 7mm cal would work great. If you travel to diff countries it may be the smallest cal allowed for hunting. As mentioned, the 375 H&H will kill anything over there and ammo is available. If it were me, I'd reload for both cals and take as much ammo as possible on the flight over, most airlines allow 11 lbs. If your company pays to move you over, take lots of it w/you.
Barnes TTSX and Cutting Edge Raptors/Solids are all a feller needs regardless of caliber.

Take one rifle. 375H&H. Might not be the best at much, but will do it all. I have shot small antelope and large elephants with it. Also, sight for one bullet weight and stick with it. 300 grain so you can get solids for it would make a top choice.

CZs are shit the way they come from the factory. They need about $1000 worth of love to become a good rifle.
I've had a couple of CZ Varmint rifles that were absolute tack drivers right out of the box. However, my most recent CZ rifle, .338LM HET, is going to require a trip to the smith to make it right. Still, 1,200 bucks for a Safari Magnum seems like a steal! I've never had an opportunity to play with one of their Safari Magnum line, but I understand they enjoy a respectful status among African big game hunters. If it needs a little work, then so be it....for $1,200. how could you go wrong?

Bring a 375 H&H

If one rifle is all you get, it's a 375 H&H. It is the easiest thing to get ammo for, it will work for any animal, anywhere there, and is good to 500 yards easy, with a little practice and knowledge. Bring a couple hundred bullets, I'd go with the TSX 300 grain, as quality bullets are harder to get there. If space permits, bring some extra brass, powder and primer are OK over there. MAybe a set of dies too, but someone will have some you can borrow if needed.

If you get a second rifle, go with the 300 WM, pretty easy ammo availability, again bring some TSX if you can. I'd likely shy away from the 308/30.06, some countries ( ZIM) are wierd about "military" rounds.

Last trip, I brought 300 WM, 375 and 416 Rigby. This year, leaving the 300WM at home, although I shot all the 300 WM ammo I brought last time. Just loved shooting stuff with the 375, and getting instant results.

I've had good luck with the 375 CZ 550. Mine was an honest sub MOA rifle out of the box. Put it away in the safe for a year, wood stock warped a bit, had to remove action, pillar bed and recrown, is now shooting .6" groups. If I was bringing it over there again, it would have the synthetic stock swapped into it. I am thinking of turning it into a project gun, but am bringing a new Heym bolt gun instead, in 375 H&H.

FWIW, I did NOT see quantities of 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger ( or Remington ) over there. Scads of 375 H&H, 416 Rigby available though, made me feel OK about choosing those calibers.

Don't bring a RUM, SAUM, Lapua or something like that, unless you have enough ammo going in with you. There is NONE of that available over there! Most of the wildcats there, are off a 30.06 case or something common.

Also, if you are hunting something that needs a heavy, you'll be with someone else, that likely has something you can borrow. Also have to consider, what if you can't get it out after two years and have to leave it behind?

how many animal are u planning to shoot? my vote for 338 lapua will get all the job done.

Is the 338 L really that available throughout the world? That's why I suggested the 375 H&H, its been around for a long time and used just about everywhere.

I haven't been around enough and checked the shelves for 338 L.

I have a friend in RSA, that is begging for someone to bring him 338 bullets on their next trip over. Someone else that brought a 338 on safari, spent a couple days looking for something to shoot thru it, when his ammo was lost. After all the expense of getting there ( and I understand OP will be residing there) I'd bring something that has better availability.

Most easily available there is the 375 H&H, no ifs, ands or buts.

On the safari forums, this is a hotly debated topic, people tend to defend what they have or what they want. People that actually GO there, if asked for the "one rifle for Africa", it's either 375 H&H, 404 Jeffery or 416 Rigby. We tend to get spoiled over here with the easy availability of everything. Over there, they have a constant search for stuff, whether or not there has been a Sandy Hook incident or not, it is just life in Africa. Even little things like good flashlights, decent boots and BATTERIES, are not taken for granted.

That's a good gift item by the way - a package of whatever batteries a guy needs. I left a couple boxes of SF123's over there last trip - there were a couple happy faces!

To answer your question Kraig, not likely to find 338LM over there. Certainly not loaded with premium bullets ( hunting, not target ).

And, in my humble opinion, if you need a 338 over there, you really need a 375, or rifle with a caliber beginning with a "4" or "5". In Africa, sometimes, the game, hunts you back!

Are you even going to HUNT anything requiring a big stopper?

For ANY of the plains game from imapla up to eland, the .308 or .30-06 will both work fine. Last two trips to RSA I saw pplenty of both in the two gun stores we visited.

IF You could find 9.3x62 ammo Take a very serious look at THAT in a CZ. Hell of a cartridge for all of the plains game and with good bullets it would work for buffalo...IF a guy could really place his rounds.

Gotta say it's tough to beat a three seven five. Took one over twice and it works on all of it. And ammo IS available.

Unsure of your situation but if you could bring over some components and reload as you use up ammo?

Ammo would be an issue but a .300 win or a .338 Win are also good choices.

If I were doing it:

1. One would be a 375 H&H Magnum. It is legal for ANY type of hunting in Africa where hunting is allowed and ammunition is available. As for the light rifle, I'd probably go for a 243 Winchester, a 308 Winchester or a 300 Winchester Magnum; probably the latter.

2. As for the specific type of rifle, I have a CZ 550 Safari Magnum; I did have it glass bedded but that didn't cost close to $1,000 and I still like it. That said, if I had the choice, I'd probably take a Blaser R 93 or R 8 with 2 barrels chambered for the cartridges of my choice. Another possibility for the second rifle would be a Blaser BBF97 in 243 or 308 Winchester under 20 gauge.

I am in the Nelson stack for a job, depending on each nations supervisor and the local rules, is what is governing me bringing a rifle.

I have hunted Namibia and lived in Djibouti, so I am pretty familiar with how African governments can well..... be fucked up.

Ideally I'd bring 3 or 4 rifles since we are looking at a couple of back to back tours, but I still don't know anything where I am going. They are supposed to offer me the job after training in November. We are cautiously enthusiastic, how can you not be Africa is both wonderful and a shithole at the same time. Often within a couple hundred yards of eachother.

Honestly I have been thinking about a 375 H&H a lot, coupled with a 30-06 I don't see how I could go wrong.

My idea is to build 2 of the exact same rifle just different calibers.

I live in South Africa, and from what I know, .308 is probably the best in terms of ammo availability (obviously). And 375H&H is also popular here for big game...you shouldn't worry about what is 'legal' to shoot what. To be honest, it isn't enforced and no one really cares, just use common sense.
.243 is also readily available here, and cheap, as well as 30-06.
What I would not recommend is not so popular cartridges like the 6.5creedmoor. If you want a .264 then the 6.5x55 Swede is your best bet down here.
I also wouldn't recommend anything like 7mm Rem Mag. That type of ammo is ridiculously expensive here.
.303 Brit is also crazy popular here

Last edited:
I would take a Greener 8 bore!

375HH and 308 are well versed with available ammo in southern Africa. I would opt for the 375 first. This is like most questions asked about rifle / caliber, what do you have, what can you shoot and most important ammo avail locally.

Just how much actually hunting will you be allowed or plan on doing? And where?

Do you plan to bring back large big 5 trophy?

Tip over a few plains game?

I am sure you can rent, borrow or beg a certain rifle or firearm you may not have depending on how much, what you want, etc. hunting.

I would get Winny model 70 375HH safari.

I have to agree with no CZ, if you have time to get one and shoot it a lot before leaving, that might be OK but if not having the time to shoot it to find QC problems, that are plentiful and send it back for warranty and the wait, do not go CZ.

good luck and have fun

9.3x62 mm can be put together using a 30/06 length action and can be made into a much more "portable" rifle that a .375 H&H plus the difference in recoil is noticeable. One thing to consider is South Africa is probably the most expensive place in Africa to hunt dangerous game - there are very few permits for leopard, the lions are 99% "canned", buffalo is hunted next to the Parks, and elephant fees are out of sight.

Go to ACCURATERELOADING.COM and check out the African forums and Discounted Hunts forums to get an idea of how expensive DG hunting is in SA. My "favorite" is the 3-day hunt for a male lion - review the photos, tell them which one you like and be prepared to write a check for $25,000 -- Cape Buff probably $15,000 and the same for Leopard.

Got the bid on the job, but at half what I bid. Probably heading back to Merica and figure this shit out again. Contracting is dying out, too many jobs gone in Afghanistan, Iraq and Djibouti. The market is flooded assholes like me who will go anywhere to make a buck.

I might have the chance to bring a rifle or two with me to Africa.
Africa is a big place. Many countries. Their laws vary widely, and enforcement is another matter entirely.
Where, and what are the laws for importing by a temporary resident?

BTW, two guns: .308 and .375H&H.