• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes one or two piece base

jackh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2008
College Station, TX
what do yall use and why? i feel like i only see one piece bases on here but on my hunting forums everyone uses two piece. the guy at the store told me two piece was better because its easier to load your rifle...

Re: one or two piece base

One piece.

Less is more.

If you worry about needing to reload your hunting rifle, things have gone wrong.

One piece bases will increase chance for 1st round hit, and reduce need for reloading.

Its Badger for me.

+1 on the 1 piece.

You will have more options available to you as to the best place to mount the scope & rings. The proper placement will lessen any fatigue you will get from prolonged looking through the scope.

DK

I use the base that I do, because:

1)Everybody on Snipers Hide uses a one piece, and I do so because I want to fit in.

2)On Hunting boards I frequent, I only show pictures of my rifles with two piece bases, and I do so because I want to fit in.

3)On rifles that I use that have a DBM system, some of which are darn near impossible to feed shells into unless they are removed, in which case, whether I use a one or two piece base is not relevant because I cannot top them off anyway, while on the rifle.

4) I use the base that best fits my application, my rifle, the scope I've chosen, and the complete packages intended use. Sometimes I use a one piece base (see item 3 above) and sometimes a two piece base.

Pick one, because only one is totally correct.

Bob

and how do one piece bases increase your chance for first round hit?

seems to me like one piece might be more accurate in the long run because the scope is mounted more solidly to the gun than with two piece. with two piece the scope is mounted to different parts of the gun possibly allowing it to torque some under stress. this is something that just popped in my head

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EGW one piece are like $40, but the BO is $150.... why? </div></div>

Quality! BO is made from steel, EGW uses a very soft aluminum that crushes easily IMHO. BO has a built in lug to keep the recoil off the the mounting screws, EGW does not.

Look at the Seekins base also, very good stuff!

ok thats a little more affordable i guess. i should probably just bite the bullet and get the best stuff right off the bat instead of wish i had later on.

is he a member on here? are there hide member discounts?

I have used several types and much prefer single piece mounts. I would suggest using DNZ mounts if they make one that fits your rifle....I use them on my Tikka T3 and they are the best mounts I have used so far! Easy installation, secure fit for the scope, high quality! Hope this helps.

Dale

jackh,

Lot's of questions. On the surface one maker charging $40. for a one piece base and another charging $150. sounds like a ripoff. I mean they are both one piece bases, so they must be made the same?

That would be a NO. Though functionally they appear identical; they are not made out of the same materials; they are not dimensionally identical; and the quality of each base to it's brother bases are not the same. Hence the difference in price.

Quality and uniformity costs money. That is not to say EGW bases are junk, it's just that are not made of the same stuff that Badger is made from, and are not as uniformly excellent.

You do get what you pay for; usually, mostly, and often.

Bob

just emailed them, hope there are some member discounts or something lol. any suggestions for rings? BO or seekins as well?

I like to get my rings from the same place that I get my base. I do not know if this makes a difference, but it makes sense in my mind. Any of the big name players will take care of your needs; seekins, bo, nightforce, uso, farell

+1 for Scott @ Liberty Optics.

I just bought a set of Seekins rings and a 20moa base. Scott had them in my hands two days later.

IMHO the Seekins mount and rings are very well made products.

Skip eating out a couple of times and buy quality equipment once.

I recently switched from the weaver or whatever bases came on my 700 5R when I bought it to a badger one piece. I had some thoughts about loading as well but i don't really notice much of a difference. If you consider a set of normal height rings you are probably only picking up an extra half inch. I was also worried that I was paying too much for what amounted to a hunk of metal. What i found was a perfectly machined piece of metal that practically stuck to the rifle without the screws due to the recoil lug mentioned previously.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do yall use and why? i feel like i only see one piece bases on here but on my hunting forums everyone uses two piece. the guy at the store told me two piece was better because its easier to load your rifle... </div></div>

PM sent ref. 1 or 2 piece bases.
JH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usnightgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Larue Tactical makes some of this best one piece bases around. IMHO </div></div>

we are talking about scope rails on boltaction rifles, not QD mounts.

One piece all the way, less is more

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EGW one piece are like $40, but the BO is $150.... why? </div></div>

Quality! BO is made from steel, EGW uses a very soft aluminum that crushes easily IMHO. BO has a built in lug to keep the recoil off the the mounting screws, EGW does not.

Look at the Seekins base also, very good stuff! </div></div>

Interesting.
Our std base is made from 6061 T6 aluminum and sells for 39.99 Extrusion from Texas, Screws from Ct. machined in USA made fadals. T6 is the max hardness for aluminum. No we do not use a Lug with flat bottom screws. We use 4 screws and each has an 82 degree countersink that match the sinks in the base.

Next up is our 7075 T6 hardnes base our HD base it sells for 69.99

Last is our Machined from 4142 HD heat treated steel rails (machined in the hardened condition to maintain straitness ) Both the HD rails are machined from solid. All 3 rails are machined in our shop.
I do not think you will find the quality lacking on our mounts.

geo

EGW
48 Belmont ave
Quakertown Pa 18951 www.egwguns.com

I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH LOADING A ROUND WITH A ONE PC BASE.I PEFER ONE PC OVER TWO.I THINK THEY ARE MORE RIGID.

I've been involved in some base and ring evaluations and testing within the last decade and here are a few things to remember;
Many of the "big name and quality scope companies" (make note big name and quality do not go hand in hand) do not make there own bases and rings, they farm them out designed with there own "look".
Three and four torx screws on each ring is over kill, some companies that offer rings with three and four torx screws on each ring do it because the machining of those rings are not produced with high enough quality. Not all CNC machines are created equally, good companies hire top notch machinists to operate their equipment.
One company I like is Warne, with their tactical line they use quality formulated steel, exacting tolerances and their work is excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usnightgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Larue Tactical makes some of this best one piece bases around. IMHO </div></div>

I have to agree when it comes to AR platform, and now that they are making rings and bases for bolt guns, I am exceedingly interested. I might replace my Leupold MK IV's with either Larue's or Glenn's. Oh the choices.