• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing One shot before she goes in the trash

jd138

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
I picked up one of the TacOps returned Mcmillan stocks from @Aries64 last week and it is awesome, exactly what was calling my name, however...

The stock was originally fitted for a 700 s/a, bdl, varmint barrel channel. I have an Origin with a M24 barrel contour. I opened up the barrel channel, dropped in a 700 bdl trigger guard, elongated the stock's ejection port, and opened up the front and sides of the recoil lug. My intent is to eventually remove the TacOps bedding (which is a shame as it looks way better then anything I produced) but I wanted to test fit and chamber rounds to make sure everything is good before I start grinding. The bolt slides over almost all of the rounds. It might chamber the first of three but then the follower is tilted so much it misses three rest. As you can see from the below, the internal mag box is canted with additional wiggle room at the rear. I searched around and tried the common fixes like bending the mag spring and opening the back of the mag box to increase the tension. I thought the trigger guard might be the culprit as the front was not quite flush with the stock. I scraped out some of the bedding and a bit of the pillar (all on the underside) but other then the guard now sitting flush, there was no improvement. I thought maybe the recoil lug was bottoming out thus inducing a the upward can't, but measurements of the lug vs the recess threw that out as the problem.

Any tips?

20210103_132100.jpg
20210103_130947.jpg
20210103_093741.jpg

The shiny item is the mag box.

I'm not a 'smith, just your ordinary home gun butcher, please excuse my limited vocabulary. Could it be that the hole in the stock where the mag well is supposed to fit is too long? When you push the bolt forward, the case rubs against the lips and it tips forward and down? Could you fill in the mag well with something - bedding compound maybe - and keep it fixed in place?

Thanks @bax, that crossed my mind as well. As the ejection port is at the perfect height I'd like to think the inlet is fine and the only issue is the mag box not supporting the feeding, and if that's so, a bit of epoxy should do the trick.

Any other opinions??

Try putting the mag box into the bottom of the action, then installing the stock over it. Hard to tell from the 3rd pic, but it appears the mag box isn't seated correctly. You should have to pinch the rear together to get it to seat into the action, the front semi-circle cutout should touch the feed ramp.

Try putting the mag box into the bottom of the action, then installing the stock over it. Hard to tell from the 3rd pic, but it appears the mag box isn't seated correctly. You should have to pinch the rear together to get it to seat into the action, the front semi-circle cutout should touch the feed ramp.
☝️I agree with jwood1284.

Reactions: DMP
What bottom metal and what model return stock?

Put the box into the receiver then the entire thing into the stock. Then install the bottom metal

If you have a original USMC M40 return stock you may have other issues and would need more info to help.

Last edited:
What bottom metal and what model return stock?

Put the box into the receiver then the entire thing into the stock. Then install the bottom metal

If you have a original USMC M40 return stock you may have other issues and would need more info to help.

Mcmillan Varmint stock; Remington 700 bdl.
Yeah, I tried that as well as opening the mag box a little to increase the tension against the stock.

I decided to move on from the bdl and work with a dbm.

Mcmillan Varmint stock; Remington 700 bdl.
Yeah, I tried that as well as opening the mag box a little to increase the tension against the stock.

stock doesn’t hold the box the box is sandwiched between the bottom metal and receiver. Tac Ops cut the stocks to use different bottom metal so this may be your issue but if you’re going to a mag system then it’s a moot point now.

Then you are potentially setting yourself up for even more dimensions that have to be exactly right or your mag will not reside in the correct space in relation to the bolt path.

The BDL style bottom gives you the most room for error while still getting a correct feed setup AND good cosmetics by having the bottom metal flush with the bottom of the stock.

./

Then you are potentially setting yourself up for even more dimensions that have to be exactly right or your mag will not reside in the correct space in relation to the bolt path.

The BDL style bottom gives you the most room for error while still getting a correct feed setup AND good cosmetics by having the bottom metal flush with the bottom of the stock.

./

Eesh, and I thought I was taking a more efficient path by changing to a dbm. I'll try to confirm which brand of bottom metal inlet this may be (even though the listing noted 700 bdl).
Thanks guys.

Take a pic of the bottom metal and the stock inlet. Tac Ops used Williams and Remington mostly, they work the same but there are slight differences that could be hanging you up.

If you install the mag box in the action and then install the barreled action in the stock is there a gap between the BDL floor plate and the bottom of the mag box? You can check that by just opening the floor plate and taking a look. The BDL floor plate should capture and support the bottom of the mag box.
You might try an ADL mag box which is taller than the BDL box.

That's an interesting thought (ADL mag box). Yes, there is a gap. It is at an angle towards the front action screw.

That's an interesting thought (ADL mag box). Yes, there is a gap. It is at an angle towards the front action screw.
That's because it's not installed correctly in your photo. Try what three users have already suggested. Turn the action upside down, and insert the BDL mag box into the bottom of the action recess. You should have to pinch the rear to get it to seat tight, It'll be tight enough to hold itself into the action.

Next install the stock over the action (still upside down). Place the BDL bottom metal over the inlet and start the action screws (there is a lip on the inside of the bottom metal that holds the mag box in place). it helps to remove the follower and spring, and install the bottom metal with the trap door open.

Reactions: Krazy_jim
A quick follow-up if anyone bumps into this thread. I ended up sanding the front and rear pillar areas (bottom) a bit and then rebed the bottom metal, leaving the bottom metal completely even with the bottom of the stock. That combined with grinding out the previous action bedding on the top and she test chambered like a charm. Thanks again for those that responded above.

Reactions: jwood1284