• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing One top tier all around hunting rifle

redneckbmxer24

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    Another one of those just one rifle threads, a little different though.

The question is CALIBER ASIDE (no mention of caliber, rifle only) if you were only going to have one top tier rifle for hunting north american game what would it be? The rifle would need to function in all conditions, be capable of 500 yard shots, and be top quality (Sako, Weatherby, Sauer, etc). Rifle could also be a custom built on a custom action.

Please tell me why, and if you have experience with said rifle.

I'm going back to the drawing board on hunting rifles. There will be a few rifles I'll have around just because but I want one extremely nice and reliable hunting rifle.

Last edited:
    I would do a Satterlee titanium action with integral talley bases and a #3 fluted Bartlein in a McMillan Game Scout stock built and stocked by LongRifles Inc. In my opinion it would balance well and have a perfect blend of a "Tactical" rifle and classic hunting rifle.

Don't know if many would consider it "top tier," but I would vote for a Sako L61R FinnBear. I have one that is about 50 years old and will never get rid of it. It has a great trigger and is more accurate than it needs to be.

I would go with a well tuned Mauser 98. 25" magnum profile tube, nice synthetic stock and a good 2-12x50 ish scope. Mausers actions are top notch when it comes to reliability and ruggedness.

if you were only going to have one top tier rifle for hunting north american game what would it be? The rifle would need to function in all conditions, be capable of 500 yard shots, and be top quality
    Please tell me why, and if you have experience with said rifle.

I'm going back to the drawing board on hunting rifles. There will be a few rifles I'll have around just because but I want one extremely nice and reliable hunting rifle.

Which rifles have you been using and what qualities or characteristics did you find lacking or dislike about them?

I use an AI-AW and it certainly meets two of your three criteria - reliability and accuracy, although it is not "fancy" looking.

For me, it is easier to shoot accurately in the field than a traditional style hunting rifle.

Last edited:
    If you need something where weight is also a concern, then a regular "hunting" rifle type layout is important.

I have a Wild Call "DropTine" and it is BEAUTIFUL.

I probably won't get to take a deer with a firearm this year as my freezer is almost full from archery season, but the past 3 years I've tagged out using my usual match rifle with a /gasp/ match bullet.

I don't know if WCCR is taking work right now, but something along the lines of what they build would be my "go to" hunting rifle. Especially if you reload, the 300WM can be downloaded for whitetails, or stoked hard for bear.

I'm sure that Mark Gordon could build you something like this as well and his work speaks for itself.

If you're not going "Full Retard" on a custom, then I would look HARD at an older Sako hunting rifle... they're elegant, extremely well built, and shoot really well. Excellent rifles made by a country that knows rifles. It's really hard to overlook one of them.

Even with the DropTine in my safe I couldn't help myself and I just bought a lefty Tikka in 270 for a donor that will become a 280 AI hunting rifle... Hi, My name is Josh and I'm a gun addict...

Last edited:
    Easy. Dakota 97 or better yet 76 with a #3-4 Krieger or Bartlein or the like screwed together by a great gunsmith dropped in the McMillan of your choice. I use the HTG.

You get the simplicity and reliability of controlled feeding, 3 pos safety, the brilliant Winchester trigger and the even more brilliant Dakota bolt release in a hunting action built to near benchrest specs and tolerances.

Which rifles have you been using and what qualities or characteristics did you find lacking or dislike about them?

I use an AI-AW and it certainly meets two of your three criteria - reliability and accuracy, although it is not "fancy" looking.

For me, it is easier to shoot accurately in the field than a traditional style hunting rifle.

I hunted this season with my AI AX. It worked great and was basically cheating but I would like to get another high end rifle specifically for hunting. I've got a bunch of hunting rifles but no one is perfect and always leave me wondering.

I'm not looking to spend AI money again (although I would if AI made a true hunting rifle) but I'm willing to spend up to $2500 on one nice rifle. I should have never sold my Sako Grey Wolf or Weatherby Accumark. I'm really leaning towards one of them in 7mm mag but grey wolfs are hard to come by.

Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com

If you want to just buy...

To keep it at 2500 or less, then I would call up a good gun builder and see if they take Sako or Tikka work. If they do, then put the Tikka into a McMillan or Manners with a Remington style recoil lug, chamber it in something like 7 Mag, 300 Mag, 280 Rem, 30-06, etc. A #3 barrel with a low profile brake and a good set of AL rings and a good AL base.

By the time you get done you should be right about 2500 and the rifle will do what you need for hunting really well.

Honestly, I wouldnt mind having a 6.5 SUAM like PGS, Sendero and George are running for a great all all purpose North American hunting rifle. Id like to see one of these guys take an Elk with it and provide some feedback. Yes I know its about bullet placement and bullet selection but specifically, Id be interested to see how it worked on a through the shoulder shot on an Elk around the 500-700yd range.

Last edited:
    I hunted this season with my AI AX. It worked great and was basically cheating but I would like to get another high end rifle specifically for hunting. I've got a bunch of hunting rifles but no one is perfect and always leave me wondering.

I'm not looking to spend AI money again (although I would if AI made a true hunting rifle) but I'm willing to spend up to $2500 on one nice rifle. I should have never sold my Sako Grey Wolf or Weatherby Accumark. I'm really leaning towards one of them in 7mm mag but grey wolfs are hard to come by.

Euro Optic has Sako Grey Wolves in stock for under $1,500. Sako - Sako Gray Wolf - EuroOptic.com

For that budget, another option would be to find a good Win pre-'64 donor action and have a nice rifle built off of that.

I'm sold on synthetic stocks now, and will not go back to wood.

Last edited:
    I've been in contact with euro optic regarding the grey wolf models. They only have 308 and one other caliber (forget what it was but it didn't interest me) in stock and said they were doubtful they'll see any more. Otherwise that's my top choice despite spare mags being $150 a pop.

I'd really prefer to stick with a high end factory rifle vs. a custom build. I've had custom builds built by many gunsmiths and I've had quirky problems from most of them but I'd rather not go into that debate.

The coolest hunting rifle I've ever lusted after was a Schuerman Arms bolt rifle. They are a custom $6000- $7000 rifle. I think they were made in Fountain Hills AZ. I tried googling them the other day and couldn't find them but I didn't try hard.

It's the only bolt rifle I've ever played with that had a camming spring action designed into the bolt. The owner of the Co at the NRA booth took the rifle, while holding the bolt back and pointed at the floor, let the bolt go and it closed with the bolt handle camming down and engaging by itself. The action was super smooth like a Tikka and had a proprietary type controlled feed extractor somewhat similar to the Ed Brown rifles, which BTW is another hunting rifle I've always liked.

Last edited:
    I like this choice as I was going down this thread I was thinking why would nobody mention Weatherby Mark V. I have a 300 but my favorite is the 257 Wby. Mag

Honestly, I wouldnt mind having a 6.5 SUAM like PGS, Sendero and George are running for a great all all purpose North American hunting rifle. Id like to see one of these guys take an Elk with it and provide some feedback. Yes I know its about bullet placement and bullet selection but specifically, Id be interested to see how it worked on a through the shoulder shot on an Elk around the 500-700yd range.

LRA's owner took a cow elk at 580-something yards in 2011 using the 6.5 Creedmoor that Mark built him, 140 Amax factory ammo and the high shoulder shot anchored her. I don't see why a 6.5 SAUM would do any less.

I've seen an elk taken at 700 yards with a 243. Bell took piles of elephants with a 6.5. Neither a 6.5 nor a 243 would be my first choice though. I wonder what the OP is thinking....

I wonder what the OP is thinking....

I'm trying to leave that out as much as possible. It's a can of worms that everybody seems to have a difference of opinion about. Some think you need a 300WM to kill a yearling whitetail while others say a 22 can kill anything on the planet.

I've got a few first choices for chamberings but the rifle is what I'm up in the air about. The weight of the whichever rifle I choose will play a big part in the caliber I choose. All of my choices are common factory loads for ammo availability if I'm in a pinch.

Sauer 202, pick the exact model that fits your need, but remember that they are a switch barrel so multiple calibers. Do some research on them and then find one to finger fuck, you will thank me...

Last edited:
    It would start with the stainless Remington 700 that was picked up at Dicks on Thanksgiving night. ( I really went in to get the cheap .22 ammo and it followed me home--honest it did) It would be sent to Long rifles for a new barrel(Brux number 3), tune up and fresh coat of paint.When it came home it would it sit in a McMillan KS stock and adl bottom.

Santa are you listening-our number is coming up soon.

I have an old FN commercial Mauser that is pretty darn good but will be eventually getting rebarreled to 280AI.

mine would be a toss up between the old A-prefix Remington 700 BDL Varmit Special I have now with a Leupold 3.5 x 10 Vari-x 3, or my Browning B-78 hex barrel in 30-06. For hunting rifles I am a sucker for walnut and deep blue steel. Kind of the iconic american hunting rifle.

mdbucks063.jpg

Call GAP......

Blaser R8.Used mine to take everything from prairie dogs to Cape Buffalo. Plus, being left handed, to offers me the selection of calibers unmatched by any other rifle platform. And when my wit sand I hunt together we'll often just bring a right handed bolt for when it's her turn on the trigger.If I consider how much $$$ I have spent over the years chasing the "perfect" hunting rifle for myself, the cost of the R8 system isn't bad.Mine will be traveling with me to AK this August for a high north caribou and gris hunt. Perfect for me.Asking this question is always like the Ford v. Chevy arguments. I don't care what you carry or hunt with. Just go do it with what serves your purposes and interests. Take a kid with you to preserve the future of the sport hunting we all cherish so much.It's all good!

Last edited:
    What camp are you in? Control round or push feed? I have both and in my book all things are moot comparing the two but you get the most tongue noise from CRF guys.

While I have never experienced it, I have talked to those who claim to have had a lever gun bind / jam due to glacier silt in the action. I have 94 30.30win that has worked flawless but due to its birthday, its a safe queen.

Break open is reliable is all conditions, I know those with single and side by sides. Personally do not own but those who use side by side on dangerous bears think they are tier one but $8k+ and $400 for 20 rounds is a little steep for most.

Semi I would not hunt dangerous bears and in deep arctic cold they can become unreliable. I prefer a Garrand action Vs Stoner but again, its Ford Vs Chevy just Garrand in my experience is more reliable in all conditions and only with a backup would I pursue bears in deep thicket.

I am not sure what a top tier rifle is especially to a single person. For me, its something I can tote mile after mile, up and down thousands of feet of scree, dry wet icy snowy, get drug through alder thickets, get dowsed in glacier creek, wallow the swamp kegs, dropped and kicked, and allow me to put the copper and lead pill in the kill box. While many may consider it not top tier and others may dismiss it as beauty queen, my Wby Mark V light weight hunter in 340wby with Leupold Alaskan 3x scope has done all this. Three Wbys in total for me. Its a wood stock blued barrel that has never a spot of rust even coastal and boat hunting. A long time ago I aligned up the cross hair as a monster book brownie and squeezed the trigger and nothing happened. Its the only time it failed but I did not push the safety hard enough so it was my fault starring at massive brown at 80-90 yards as the boar ripped into shrubs looking for grubs, he turned and starred directly at me seconds before I flicked the switch and I was sweating to oldies in 15f and well did not do my part and when I did flick it starring me down, he spooked and turned the pencil disappearing into the thicket. The only time I had the chance at a book bear.

I also prefer Tikka T3 SS as tier one, For me, no need for a $2000-$5000 rifle to hunt with, what is the extra coin giving me over my Wby and Tikka. I will take that money saved and use it for bush flights or food and supplies for my next hunt or even better, ammo to hone my trigger skills.

Granted we all love to talk guns and ammo, $5000 lazer beam or $500 Tikka, 243 or 338, SMK or Partition, the only sum of the equation is the trigger actuator,

I used to be crazy for hunting and with our 5 week deer/elk season and me living in the middle of it. I put in a lot of days for quite a few years. Also guided for free for a big Ranch that used to allow me to hunt, so I took out hunters as a payback.

So I've seen a LOT of game taken, especially deer and antelope but have been in on about 60 elk too.

What I built/bought for myself.... Bought a Wby Ultra Lt Wt in .280 Rem, 2.5-8X Leupold that weighs in at an ounce under 7 pounds ready to go. MY carry gun when guiding along with a 3" M-696 Smith pistol as a finisher. The Wby is light, accurate and has been reliable.

Had built a trued Rem 700, dropped into a Brown Precision stock, 26" #3 taper Douglas chambered in .280 AI. Mounted a 3.5-10X Leupold and shot a lot of deer and elk as well as some African antelope , all with zero drama. 150 gr NP's at 3050 fps accounted for a lot of game. Many of the deer and elk from 300-400+ yds.

In 2000 built a Winchester CRF M-70 in .338-06 for my 2nd RSA trip. My poor mans .318 WR or .333 Jeffrey. Trued and tuned M-70 action, used the original David Miller factory sporter design as it fit well and looked CLASSIC. 24" Lilja barrel, tuned trigger, and added FIXED express sights set up for fifty yds. Had Arnold Earhardt at Capital Sports in Helena do the work. Set it up for 250 gr NP's and it worked on everything from impala to a near one ton Livingston Eland. Later used it back home in MT to take a few more elk. One at 350 yds.

For several years I used a CRF M-70 in .375 H&H for elk and my first trip to RSA. Had the trigger tuned. Bedding checked and rebedded into the original stock. Reliable and accurate.

Had an older Sako I bought that was a .375 H&H in a great stock, but WAY too light a barrel taper and only 20" and it beat a guy to death. So had a 24" Hart installed, same medium taper but in .300 H&H. Another great hunter for deer, elk and antelope. Close in ballistics to a .300 Win Mag but not quite as powerful. Reliable and accurate.

All of my truly enjoyable hunting rifles have shared a few common attributes; Reliability, accuracy, flawless function and 3# triggers. I think a guy doesn't need a Kenny Jarret Rem 700 or a darcy Echold M-70 costing the same as a small car...for a simple hunting rifle. I'd pick a Sako, Tikka, Winchester, or Remington bolt gun in an appropriate caliber. Send it to a competant Smith. Check the bedding do what is required to get a good fit , trigger tuned, checked for reliable feed and function and go from there.

FN in MT

Last edited:
    I'm going to stay away from customs for now.

I'd like to spend no more than $2500 and that budget will let me get two guns. I'm leaning heavily towards that option and getting something like a weatherby accumark, super light, or sako grey wolf and maybe a Winchester featherweight. I've owned the first three and know I like them but I've never had a featherweight and always wanted one, I've also always wanted a 264 Winchester which the featherweight is available in. That and some 130gr Bergers at 3100 would make a mean killing stick. Something more common like 7mm RM, 30-06, 308, or 270 for the other rifle.

Ive got Remington's, I've got a couple tikkas which more and more I can't stand, and I've got other rifles. I'll probably be selling a good number of them once I figure out what I want. I've got two 300RUM's which aren't going anywhere, a model 7 300 SAUM that I'm up in the air about (was a birthday gift on my 16th birthday otherwise it would be sold already), and another 300 SAUM BDL SS on the way that I plan on keeping. I've got 6 rifles I'm up in the air about, both of my tikkas will probably be sold (223AI, 25-06), my R700 243 will probably be sold/traded for a weatherby vanguard 243, savage 308 will definitely be sold, and a couple others will go away.

I also have a few marlin lever guns in 30-30, 35 rem, and 45-70 that aren't going anywhere that fill the brush gun and woods role. If I ever come up with $30k to go to AK I will either bring one of my RUM's or spend a couple grand on a 338 or 375. I had a Winchester 375 and that was an awesome rifle. I wouldn't mind another but I don't think I need one at this point in my life, the biggest thing I'll be hunting any time soon is elk.

Last edited:
    I was just going to buy a new featherweight from buds, people have been reporting very good accuracy from the new winchesters. The ballistics are definitely sweet on paper, I'd probably run it a little slower to conserve the throat though. If the overbore 6.5 SAUM can get good barrel life by not pushing it hard I don't see why the 6.5 win can't do the same.

honestly I go with a rifle from my favorite builder, #4 kreiger barrel, and what ever stock you like. I chose a McMillian HTG in forest camo. The gun empty with an AI 5 round mag weighs about 7.5#. It has great balance and does the job. you could probably true up a 700 action and stay within your budget.

Last edited:
    Ive got Remington's, I've got a couple tikkas which more and more I can't stand, and I've got other rifles.

If I ever come up with $30k to go to AK I will either bring one of my RUM's or spend a couple grand on a 338 or 375..

What more and more cant you stand about Tikkas?

Alaska says 338, if I had to do it all over again, 338.06.

good luck

TAC OPS Tango scoped with a S&B 3-12x50 non-illuminated, fixed parallax

(dream about owning this set-up someday!!)

What more and more cant you stand about Tikkas?

Alaska says 338, if I had to do it all over again, 338.06.

good luck

The stock is Tupperware, the trigger guard is Tupperware, and I don't have confidence in the bolt handle. I greatly prefer a one piece bolt or one with a welded (not soldered) handle. They shoot good but they are economy rifles with really no options to fix what I consider flaws. I could run a CDI metal but I don't want a big latch hanging down on a hunting rifle, and I'm pretty sure you can only use them for short action rounds.

I agree on the 338, I just don't need one now because I don't foresee myself going to Alaska any time soon unless I win the lottery.

I absolutely love my Nosler TGR in 280AI
    I dig old Sakos and have two but don't care much for the 85s after owning a Finnlight.

I also have a Nosler TGR, but in a 300 WSM. I've owned many off the shelf Kimbers (Montana's), Rems (LTR, CDL SF, various others), Winchesters (PF and CF M70's), Tikkas, and Sakos (75, 85, and Kodiak), but the TGR seems to be the best turn-key rifle of the bunch. For me it balances well, shoots MOA (5 and 10 shot groups w/AB's), comes with a good trigger, a decent stock, generous mag constraints, etc. I do wish the Pac-Nor barrel was S/S vs. CM, but that's not a huge concern in CO. The Kimber Montana is a very close second. I've never had one that didn't shoot and it has one of the best stocks you can get on an off the shelf rifle. The Kimber does everything well, IMO. The TGR just seems to do some things better.

PSinclair mentions a GAP, I can't imagine a Non-Typical not being my next build. I have a pard that has one and it is, for a lack of better words, amazing.

Can the TGR be ordered with a BDL typ magazine or is blind box the only option?

I have a Kimber Montana 223 and just sold a 243. They're nice for carrying around but IMO a bit light for taking precise long shots, I like a rifle with a little meat on it's bones for that. The TGR is definitely a consideration if I can get it BDL.

Can the TGR be ordered with a BDL typ magazine or is blind box the only option?

I have a Kimber Montana 223 and just sold a 243. They're nice for carrying around but IMO a bit light for taking precise long shots, I like a rifle with a little meat on it's bones for that. The TGR is definitely a consideration if I can get it BDL.

Gotcha. The TGR is a blind mag, but Nosler does include a hinged floor plate on their higher end models. I'm not sure if a Howa-type DBM would fit, though. The off the shelf variety is a blind mag. A drawback to the TGR is that I don't know anyone that inlets for the M48. I called McMillan and was told that they didn't. Manners is the same story.

I've been all over gunbroker looking, buds beats pretty much every dealers price on their. I've also been looking on armslist it nobody ever lists anything nice around me and if they do it's more than it would cost new. Plenty of Remington's and savages though.

I still haven't decided on a 'one top tier all around rifle' but I couldn't resist the temptation of a 264 win mag. I had been searching for brass and looked on gunbroker and a dealer had just listed. 5 boxes of Winchester power point for $25/box ($40+ a box everywhere else) so I snagged it. I'm going to pick up a Winchester featherweight and set it up after the holidays.

Considering this will be a blued gun and is in a somewhat oddball round whatever I choose for the other rifle will need to be in a common general purpose round (270, 30-06, 7mmRM, 308) and all weather. I'll have about $1500 for it.

So much for one all around rifle.

Factory: Weatherby MK5 Accumark. Why not? Rifle doesn't EUCK around.
    Custom: Gap Non Typical. Because I can...Speed is fine, Accuracy is finial.