• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Online Reloading Class?

ConfusedSniper

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2012
I know just a tad about reloading and i wanted to get a firm grasp on it so i could feel confident reloading for my 308. I don't know who to go to, to learn all of this though. I saw an online reloading class in the link below however that isn't up and running yet. So just wondering if anyone has any experience with an online version? I cant really take a in person class.. unless theres one in dallas, tx. Any suggestions?

http://safeorsorry.net/take-a-course/reloading-class.html

Re: Online Reloading Class?

A good reloading manual and some nice friends that will allow you to practice with their rounds. That's how I learned.

Your in the rite spot to learn. Read the stickies at the top and ask any question and these guys here are full of info. I been loading for about 6 months and I'm on here all the time. First go get the reload manual and read it while you are asking questions here.

Kevin

Check out youtube as well. Lots of how-to vids there.

Other hand/re-loading forums are worth looking at as well. I like handloaders bench.

As has been mentioned if one of your buddies re-loads, a mentor is great thing to have.

lol confused sniper, somewhat applies.

you dont need a class to learn to reload.Its not that hard. Just get started. As long as you dont seat your bullets upside down or overcharge your cases , or use the wrong powder , there is really nothing bad that can happen.

but quality reloading tools , and dont buy some stupid starter kit.

if you're interested, shoot me a PM and I can send you my RCBS DVD, it is still sealed. I got it with the kit I purchased. It supposedly gives you everything you'll need to know in a step by step format.

ETA - that offer is open to everyone on the Hide, also.

This forum is my reloading class, mostly. But my bro in law got me started on his equipment and I took it from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol confused sniper, somewhat applies.

you dont need a class to learn to reload.Its not that hard. Just get started. As long as you dont seat your bullets upside down or overcharge your cases , or use the wrong powder , there is really nothing bad that can happen.

but quality reloading tools , and dont buy some stupid starter kit.
</div></div>

Would the RCBS deluxe rockchucker supreme (Cabellas $799) be a good starter kit? Have been looking at this one for a while. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Would the RCBS deluxe rockchucker supreme (Cabellas $799) be a good starter kit? Have been looking at this one for a while. Thanks </div></div>

Kits are okay; the supreme looks like it has a lot of bells and whistles. I started with a Rocker Chucker II kit and added things as I went. I've never used an electronic but so far I've been happy with the beam that came with the kit. Case prep is part of the game I guess; I do mine by hand. My trimmer is a Hornady recommended by a friend; love it. As I said, kits are okay, but personally I'd limit it to one more basic that will allow you to get what you want in the future. Just my $00.02

Whatever you end up with, reloading is a terrific hobby. Time spent at the reloading bench is addictive and rewarding. Enjoy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie67</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="text-decoration: underline">dont buy some stupid starter kit. </span>
</div></div>

Would the RCBS deluxe rockchucker supreme (Cabellas $799) be <span style="text-decoration: underline">a good starter kit</span>? Have been looking at this one for a while. Thanks </div></div>

are you fucking with me ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie67</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="text-decoration: underline">dont buy some stupid starter kit. </span>
</div></div>

Would the RCBS deluxe rockchucker supreme (Cabellas $799) be <span style="text-decoration: underline">a good starter kit</span>? Have been looking at this one for a while. Thanks </div></div>

No I wasn't, I'm looking to get into reloading soon and saw this kit. It was an honest question as I don't know the best way to get started. Thought a kit might be a good way to get started and just wanted thoughts on the RCBS. Sorry if my post came across any other way. I must have misinterpreted yout statement, after re reading it I believe you not a big fan of any type of starter kit?
</div></div>

i bought a rifle and shot fgmm for around two months while i researched how to reload. i dont know anybody that reloads so i had to do it on my own.

research led me to some books which formed the core of what i wanted to know. from there i started reading various forums looking for info. i determined what my reloading goals were and what tools would be used to achieve those goals. i stared an excel spreadsheet and start adding tools/components as likely candidates.

after a month or so, i had my list. there were duplicates for some items. i refined. once i had my list, i then when to various online retailers and looked at price and availability.

once i determined where i was gonna buy stuff at i started ordering. this took two or three weeks to get it all done.

i used the brass i had saved from shooting to start off. i ordered some bullets based on readings here and other places. powder and primers too.

i ended up with reloads more accurate than fgmm.

my decision from the get-go was to buy alacarte and not start with a package. this worked out for me.

i bought a forster co-ax as my press. this was the only item that i had to search a bit for since its popular and often back ordered.

there are good vids on youtube. but i suggest you watch them with a grain of salt. and read up before you watch. some do things i wouldnt. some dont do things i do since im more precision than mass output oriented. and watch more than one about the same thing to compare techniques.

finally, plan you work process before you buy. this will provide the framework for your steps and what you buy to process each step.

There's some good advice on here, and some you might want to rethink. As to the notion that there's really nothing bad that can happen . . . you're dealing with a pressure chamber that instantly generates, and suddenly releases about 60,000 PSI, about two inches from your face. Might want to keep that in mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie67</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie67</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

</div></div>No I wasn't, I'm looking to get into reloading soon and saw this kit. It was an honest question as I don't know the best way to get started. Thought a kit might be a good way to get started and just wanted thoughts on the RCBS. Sorry if my post came across any other way. I must have misinterpreted yout statement, after re reading it I believe you not a big fan of any type of starter kit?</div></div>

I am another one who is not a fan of the starter kits.

One thing I can say is read as much as you can here on the hide decide what sort of set up you want and start building it, don't be in a rush you will probably change what you want as you learn more.

I started with a Lee classic still load on it now also have a Dillon and I am on the waiting list for a Co ax.