• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Online seminar on Field Firing Solutions

CoryT

Gunsite Rangemaster
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 5, 2004
    Paulden, AZ
    www.gunsite.com
    I'll be hosting a 'Webinar' on Field Firing Solutions on Sunday, May 2nd. The session is free, and no marketing garbage will follow. It is limited to 100 participants, and the XLR class members have the first invites already sent out so they can register. If you are interested in an invitation, send me a PM with the email address where I can send your invitation. The seminar will run from 0900 - 1300 PDT. You'll need speakers on your PC to hear the presentation. I'll be running the latest version of Delta V, so you'll be the first to see the newest features about to be released.

Re: Online seminar on Field Firing Solutions

Hey Cory,

This looks great, but there is no way I can cut out that chunk of time Sunday.

Not looking to create any work for anyone, and my lack of technical savvy is likely showing... but is it possible to record this event for viewing at convenience.....?

Just asking, as I'd really like to see it... but I've got to trade sleep for time chunks like that
    wink.gif

I would in a heartbeat... but can't.

DVD or Streaming or anything would be swell for those of us that can't make it....

This was a great wedinar guys. If you even think you may want to attend, I suggest you do as Cory explains the software very well. It will help out with other software, from other companies also. Time flew by.

Thanks Cory for a very good seminar on FFS , I watched the 2nd screening , and have a couple of Questions .

1) Is their a means of using a G7 BC ?

2 ) When you have a Vector IV LRF hooked up to the programme , does it use and transfer the inclination data into the firing solution ?

3 ) Also can a Kestral be hooked in using a data cable ?

4 ) Whats the chance of them making it available in different media cards ?

Cheers Chris

No the G7 is not used. There are no plans to do so, since the industry has settled on providing G1's. With the tuning ability provided by the DK calculator, there does not appear to be a need to improve the solution. I match Doppler radar tracks from Lapau's testing to less than 1" of differance at 1500 meters, so it hardly seems worth getting Blaine to gin up a whole new engine to handle a G7 BC.

The Vector series transmits range, azimuth and inclination when activated by both keys or the remote switch. All that is fed to the program and used to calculate the solution, as well as the relative wind value from the previously entered target and wind data.

The Kestrel has a BlueTooth option that Blaine can provide, I've tested it. Since that data normally changes quite slowly, I don't personally see a need for it. As most PDA's have at most a single COM port, it seems more practical to reserve that for the LRF.

I don't know why Blaine settled on SD and mini-SD only, I never asked. The Mil-Spec RPDA-57 has a standard SD slot, and while CF cards are in a few PDA's, SD seems to be the most common card. You could always send him a message, but I don't know of any specific plans to do other cards or other OS's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No the G7 is not used. There are no plans to do so, since the industry has settled on providing G1's. With the tuning ability provided by the DK calculator, there does not appear to be a need to improve the solution.</div></div>

A G7 drag model with a accurate G7 BC seems to be a bit better at predicting terminal velocity at longer ranges.

When you compute a DK based on your long range data and the new DK is different from 0.5, the program does not change either the predicted terminal velocity nor the time of flight to reflect that change, although it does, of course, change the elevation calculation.

On the other hand, if you change the BC of the bullet until the program predicted elevation matches your field shooting data, the program does change both the terminal velocity and the time of flight.

For that reason, I'd recommend changing the BC of the bullet rather than using the DK, if having a more accurate terminal velocity is of importance.

And it may not be.

Many bullets handle the transition from supersonic flight to subsonic fairly gracefully, and probably military snipers contemplating a shot at a range which is close to the maximum supersonic range of the bullet are going to make the decision to shoot or not based upon operational requirements rather than upon that maximum supersonic range.

And that's probably as it should be.

Personally, I've found that using Brian Litz's tested G1 BC rather than the manufacturer's BC in Field Firing Solutions with a 0.5 DK, produces results which are essentially indistinguishable from those produced by a good G7 drag model also using Brian's G7 BC.

And that's what I'd recommend.

I do what Lindy says about G1 and FFS DK, I've also done all the test protocol to calculate the correct muzzle velocity and the correct BC...and finally used a DK, the results are very similar, so not able to appreciate the very small difference.

I agree, tuning begins with the velocity and BC. There may come a point in the tuning process that the change in BC required to match the real world far end trajectory starts to skew the near / middle range elevation values by an excessive amount. At that point, a modification of the DK appears to produce the desired effect on the long range end of the values without altering the mid range by a signifigant amount. For example, my 250 Lapua Scenar data correlates to radar data near perfect with a DK of .499, and real world testing gives me confidence that the solution is more accurate than I can hold.

None of my .30 cal or 6.5 cal systems have required a correction of the DK. The most I've used is a DK of .485 for the Mk211.

I think too many people give way too much weight to how the program does the calculation. From what I've been able to do in testing, all of the available programs will give a solution that is quite usable, provided the groundwork is done to calibrate the system to the real world results.

Selection of a progrm should be based on the desired feature set, what can the program do to make the job easier, faster, more reliable? How simple is it to get the system setup and creating that accurate solution?

At Gunsite, we've settled on FFS Delta IV / V as the most feature rich, easy to configure system, giving highly accurate solutions using the tools and methods provided.

If you don't need LRF and GPS integration, map ranging and target coordinate generation, instant elevation reticle holds from any zero range, tools for path metrics like danger space and PBZ, range cards, etc., then a simple program like Ballistic might be all you need.