• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Online stores

Freethinker

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2022
Georgia
What online stores have useful, and accurate, filtering based on firearm features? Seems like a lot of sites use the same search or filter template but doesn't work very well. For example, you select centerfire rifle in the main menu and it takes you to a list with handgun and rifle centerfire, then you select centerfire rifle calibers, and again it takes you to a list that has handgun calibers and rifle calibers.

Does anyone know if brick-and-mortar dealers are shipping orders from their inventory, or do they use their distributors to dropship online orders like dedicated e-commerce stores do? I haven't seen any faster shipping time with stores that have physical locations over online-only stores.

What online stores have useful, and accurate, filtering based on firearm features? Seems like a lot of sites use the same search or filter template but doesn't work very well. For example, you select centerfire rifle in the main menu and it takes you to a list with handgun and rifle centerfire, then you select centerfire rifle calibers, and again it takes you to a list that has handgun calibers and rifle calibers.

Does anyone know if brick-and-mortar dealers are shipping orders from their inventory, or do they use their distributors to dropship online orders like dedicated e-commerce stores do? I haven't seen any faster shipping time with stores that have physical locations over online-only stores.
Mixed bag I think but most have drop ship to reduce stock and overhead.

I use ATF for all my online gun/ammo purchases......have you tried them?

Use discount code.....SuCkaMyDiCk.....for a 10% discount.

They almost all use the same network of warehouses and almost all the same software for their website, at least at the core.

There's probably 3 or 4 main ecom suites that they use.

I don't think most of the 'big' retailers will even let you buy something online that is in a retail inventory -- unless you are buying it at that retail location. There are some exceptions to this, for sure. Family Firearms, for example, you can purchase something from their site that is drop-shipped or specifically listed as their in store inventory. There are others that do the same, that one is just top of mind as I recently purchased something from them that came from one of their stores -- I know there are others, lot's of others really. But in terms of the big retailers I don't think any of them do that.

In terms of the best search features, I can't say any website has ever stood out to me as great. Midway USA maybe.

Of all places, you'd think Brownell's would be the best but I personally hate their website and it's search features (or lack of).

Going back to Midway USA -- I generally like their search features more than any other that comes to mind but I also haven't used them to search for guns specifically.

They almost all use the same network of warehouses and almost all the same software for their website, at least at the core.

There's probably 3 or 4 main ecom suites that they use.

I don't think most of the 'big' retailers will even let you buy something online that is in a retail inventory -- unless you are buying it at that retail location. There are some exceptions to this, for sure. Family Firearms, for example, you can purchase something from their site that is drop-shipped or specifically listed as their in store inventory. There are others that do the same, that one is just top of mind as I recently purchased something from them that came from one of their stores -- I know there are others, lot's of others really. But in terms of the big retailers I don't think any of them do that.

In terms of the best search features, I can't say any website has ever stood out to me as great. Midway USA maybe.

Of all places, you'd think Brownell's would be the best but I personally hate their website and it's search features (or lack of).

Going back to Midway USA -- I generally like their search features more than any other that comes to mind but I also haven't used them to search for guns specifically.
Thanks. I agree on Brownells, their site drives me nuts, and Natchez. It's funny that you mention MidwayUSA. I did a search on their site for bolt gun>6mm GT and the exact same results came back as smaller stores I looked at, so obviously using the same distributor and maybe ecommerce software. However, MidwayUSA has a better search filter function that the smaller stores.

Thanks. I agree on Brownells, their site drives me nuts, and Natchez. It's funny that you mention MidwayUSA. I did a search on their site for bolt gun>6mm GT and the exact same results came back as smaller stores I looked at, so obviously using the same distributor and maybe ecommerce software. However, MidwayUSA has a better search filter function that the smaller stores.

I think I probably conflated search with filter or navigation. Midway USA has, IMO, probably one of the best filtering/navigation systems. So if you went to their site, click guns -> bolt action rifles and then under caliber select 6mm GT it does that very well. Which is sad that other sites can't do these things right but it is what it is.

When looking for just a gun that's not really a huge deal but when looking for parts their navigation/filtering is extremely helpful. I also like that they have the ability to sort by % discount - not a lot of places have that and it's something I use a lot.

I believe Bud's gun shop and PSA show items that are in stock at their physical stores and online orders that are probably drop shiped. Been a couple of years since I bought from Bud's, I ordered a vortex scope from PSA that was shown as shipped but tracking showed it never left their facility, I finally cancelled that order after several weeks.
YMMV...

There's only 3-4 real distributors for most guns.

Most people are lazy and don't understand or desire to create their own website. They use a generic template and call it good enough.

I go talk to my guy at the lgs to order anything that needs FFL. Otherwise I generally buy online but I have 20 years of figuring out how search engines work and don't necessarily use the one built into the site.