• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Only 600 yds experience, to 1200 for the 1st time!

bodywerks

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2010
Tucson,Arizona
I have an OK amount of experience at 500-600 yards - can hit clays 50/50. Had an option to get some time on our 1000 yard range at the local rifle club. Thing is, only paper targets are allowed at 1,000. Any steel has to be placed behind the 1,000yd pit. Swarovski said it was 1195 yards where we put the steel.
Let me just say I now know why there is a forum here devoted strictly to 'beyond 1,000 yard' talk!!! My steel is a 15" circle, a 1-1/4MOA target at this distance:
gong1200yds.jpg

I'd be happy with this group if those were the only bullets I sent down range - sadly, I sent three times that many!
To my credit, it's just a factory savage in .308, with an aftermarket stock that I have yet to verify accuracy at 100 yards, and I basically got exposed to all the variables all at once - it was hot so mirage was pretty bad, and the wind direction shifted by the minute, sometimes making a complete 180.
Anyway, I have a new-found appreciation for long range shooting, and now I need a bigger caliber rifle!

Re: Only 600 yds experience, to 1200 for the 1st time!

man you are 'almost' 1200 yrd. with a .308 . Along with boiling mirage, Switching Wind & Nobody Spotting for you . That's tough for any shooter .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man you are 'almost' 1200 yrd. with a .308 . Along with boiling mirage, Switching Wind & Nobody Spotting for you . That's tough for any shooter .
, </div></div>
agreed.
thats some good shootin, especially for your first time

15" circle looks mighty small at 1200. Great shooting!

Thanks. I got almost as many hits on my target stand, though, lol! I think 1200 yards is approaching transonic for a 175g pill launched at 2745 - that might have also accounted for the lack of consistency.
Shot the rifle at 100 yards with the same loads and was hovering at 1 MOA, so either the rifle, the load, me, or a combination of the three need some work. My .223 yielded sub 1/2MOA today as well, though, so either I'm anticipating recoil wit the .308 or it simply isn't as accurate as I would like. Regardless, this long range stuff is FUN! Thinkin' something like .300WM or .338LM is in order, though. The friend I was shooting with shot a 6" 3shot group at the same distance with his .338 rig that same day...

That's very decent shooting no matter what. Depending on the wind situation, at 1200 yards is very very good for a 308 gun. Of course, your friend's 338 LM will have a huge advantage over the 308. Where did you shoot?

Were you shooting at three points? If so I hear ya on the wind and mirage, I shoot out there about every other Sunday, mostly on the steel range, and in the middle of summer the mirage and constantly shifting winds are a huge pain in the ass, but the way I see it is a really good opportunity to learn. Oh and by the way good shooting! lol

It was three points(Tucson rifle club). Thanks forthe compliments. I think I'm gonna spend some more time at 600 before I try 1k+ again. I have a lot to learn...

Tucson Rifle Club? Damn I seriously skipped going this week cause my girlfriend's parents were in town. We should meet up one day and see who can ring the steel first at 1200.

I have a stock sps-v...it would almost be an even match (cough Remington for life cough)

=D

I'd be up for reserving the range again, but maybe late september, early October. I go out to TRC all the time, though. Shoot me a PM next time you're thinking of heading out that way - I'm always up for shooting steel at the 500M range...

Nice job dude! The thing I learned the first time I shot at 1000 is that it is VERY different. You will want to keep a lot of data whenever you shoot. The thing I have to learn better is wind... Good luck and keep shooting!

Phil

I think I'm gonna get a wind meter and hold it up while I look at various things waiving around nearby in the wind to help better estimate it. I did notice that my elevation was almost always an MOA or less, so I know I am loading my rounds consistently enough. I always have my data book with me to take notes, but I admit that I did this first long range shoot just for the experience and didn't take any notes.

I have been keeping pretty decent records. Now I need to get a Kestrel or other weather station.

Phil

If your buying a kestrel make sure you get one with Density Altitude in case you find that easier to figure out your environments