• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Only buy my two favorite kinds of ammo or buy whatever is on the shelf???

tree.bobby

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2019
With ammo shortages should I just get any ammo I can find or stick to my usual choices?

I have 2 - 6.5 CM bolt guns used by my family for hunting and fun. Howa Bravo and Christensen Arms MPR.

I have 6.5 CM AR-10 on the way - planning on red dot for now as my bolt guns are perfect for the long range. Christensen Arms CA-10 DMR

I usually shoot Hornady American Gunner for targets and pest control and Precision Hunter ELDX for hunting - pretty darn close in ballistics its an easy swap for me when hunting season comes.

I am new to the AR scene so I figured between 0-100 yards with the AR Ammo choice probably isn't a big deal. For bolt guns I would like to stick with the same ammo so I am not needing to adjust my scope all the time.

Ummm...only you can answer this question for yourself. Others may be able to tell you their position but it may or may not be aligned with your needs.

For my part, I simply make my own ammo.
I reloaded my 300 RUM for years but with work and small children I just don't have enough time these days. I think I will save my two favorite ammo for the bolt guns and shoot whatever I can get in the AR until things go back to normal. I just don't want to burn through my supply during the shortage.

I reloaded my 300 RUM for years but with work and small children I just don't have enough time these days. I think I will save my two favorite ammo for the bolt guns and shoot whatever I can get in the AR until things go back to normal. I just don't want to burn through my supply during the shortage.

It will be quite a while before things go back to normal. If the two republicans can win their run-offs in GA you may see some improvement in the supply outlook by late spring/summer but if at least one of the two Demoshits win it will be much, much longer.

I wouldn’t consume more than you think can replace at any given point.

Reactions: tree.bobby
It will be quite a while before things go back to normal. If the two republicans can win their run-offs in GA you may see some improvement in the supply outlook by late spring/summer but if at least one of the two Demoshits win it will be much, much longer.

I wouldn’t consume more than you think can replace at any given point.
Yeah. I shot about 60 rounds out of bolt guns the other day and then realized its going to be tough to replace...

It’s not that bad yet but you better act fast I sent you a pm

Yeah. I shot about 60 rounds out of bolt guns the other day and then realized its going to be tough to replace...

I think you should start reloading again if you want to keep shooting. Yea prices for supplies, materials will be higher and harder to come by and you will have to find the time but at least you can keep pace with your consumption patterns.

Hope you kept all your reloading equipment and take your brass with you when you leave the range.

Just my .02

I’ve passed on a lot of ammo that was available, but I honestly didn’t see myself shooting. Plinker ammo for a precision rifle doesn’t make sense to me, so buying stuff to sit on a shelf is a waste. But, in pistol ammo, I’ll buy whatever range fodder trips my ”that’s a good deal” threshold.

buy that up everywhere I have seen it its 1.80 something per 20 rounds .

How far are you shooting to hunt? If it's sub 300 yards, just get whatever. I can shoot Cabela's cheapo Herter's .308 Win at a minute of deer at 300 yards... whatever I'd hit would get hit in the vitals. The ammo is actually Winchester USA red box soft point.

And why are we worried about adjusting the scope? Go to the range with your preferred and your backup. Zero for the preferred, then group the other. Write down what adjustment you have to make. You'll be fine out to most hunting distances making that adjustment anywhere. You'd need to make more adjustment for wind probably (unless you zeroed at 500 feet and go hunting at 7000 or something).

I also like the 140 hornady for the per shot cost but so far i have had within a few fps of there ammo the 140 skm federal ammo shoot just as good except its 36.99 per 20 per box directly from federal @1.84 per round when they have it and the hornady 140 eld match at 24.99 per box of 20 1.25 per shot and the prime 130 gr 319.99 per 200 at 1.60 per round that's a nicer price now yea even with the 2 to 3 week wait that beter than the 1.90something it was just a week or so ago .

For those of y'all that are in the buy what you can group, how much are you spending? Are you trying to buy everything in stock or just a 100 or so at a time because it's not your Go To ammo?

True, but outside of an actual zombie apocalypse there are better investments...
As a short term flip offering instant liquidity and rate of return of well over 100% (in the case of primers over 200%), there's hardly anything better right now.

My thoughts are keeping my good ammo for the precision bolt guns and using whatever ammo for the AR-10. Found 8 boxes of the sellier bellot in 6.5 CM today and took those. They actually shoot good in bolt guns but I will probably save for the AR.