• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Only takes one or two bad apples (long gripe)

I typically shoot on either private, or public land.

On private land, sometimes we still get the occasional stupid people who call the Sheriff and report gunshots, which usually doesn't amount to anything. It just wastes the 911 Center or Sheriff's Dept time.

But a couple times when shooting on public land, we've encountered these Elitists types riding horseback that think they own the land for their own private use. Each time, you hear these people (always behind us about 100-yards away) yelling, Stop Shooting, were riding horses! This is typically after we've been shooting for sometime. Why the hell would you ride up to people shooting? You have millions of acres of public land, and you have to ride up to where we're shooting? Idiots! Edit: Location is on a Ridgeline overlooking a big open basin, so we can see where we're shooting, and if anyone is approaching the area.

Last edited:
Reactions: oneshot86

On private land, sometimes we still get the occasional stupid people who call the Sheriff and report gunshots, which usually doesn't amount to anything. It just wastes the 911 Center or Sheriff's Dept time.

But a couple times when shooting on public land, we've encountered these Elitists types riding horseback that think they own the land for their own private use. Each time, you hear these people (always behind us about 100-yards away) yelling, Stop Shooting, were riding horses! This is typically after we've been shooting for sometime. Why the hell would you ride up to people shooting? You have millions of acres of public land, and you have to ride up to where we're shooting? Idiots! Edit: Location is on a Ridgeline overlooking a big open basin, so we can see where we're shooting, and if anyone is approaching the area.

just like the jet skier coming up on you to see how the fishing is. sons of bitches

I am really glad that I live where I do and I ain't moving unless it is down to the farm where I can shoot a Milermore and do on occasion. Our range only goes out to 1000.
I also know now that I am Fudd. I like old rifles made of steel and wood. I have several of them but I also own a couple of rifles that are more modern and I can hit out to beyond a thousand yards and beyond made of plastic and steel.
I never give driving directions with 20 minutes this way and 30 minutes that way as I don't know the conditions of the road nor how you fast you drive.
I will tell you it is 7.5 miles from my house to the range and depending on where you are located when you ask, I may tell you the entrance is 2.5 miles east of you then south on Colo. 61 .2 miles south to the entrance on your right marked by the signs or whatever is needed. Nobody has gotten lost with my directions as long as they know North from South and East from West.
Driving directions given in minutes is pants on head stupid, retarded to me. Maybe you young whippersnapers don't know how long a mile is?
Our range is County owned and open to the public. Buy a membership for full access or pay the Daily fee of $10 per vehicle, not per head, so load as many as you can in there or come by yourself, still $10 a vehicle, whatever works out best for you. The whole famdamily or you by yourself, same charge.
Our range is nowhere near perfect. Rifle ranges, you are shooting to the South into the sun.
It had to be set up that way as there is 9 miles of nothing to the South whereas if shooting to the North you would be shooting towards town.
We don't have ROs and so far have not needed them. The people around here tend to take care of those problems themselves and so far, knock on wood, it has worked well. again, we are very rural.
As to the abreviations such as QTS,SBR, etc. you live in your world. Don't expect me to know what you are talking about just because I am old and don't understand all of that shit, just tell me what those letters mean at least 2 time as I don't remember a lot.
You paint Fudd with a broad brush but there may be a Fudd or20 that shoot 4-6 times a week ,Do you do that? or once a month if you are lucky, that can show you how it is done. Take advantage of what they know.
I am done ranting on this bullshit. FUDD and fuck all of your abbreviations and driving directions in minutes.
Out here directions like that would only get you in trouble and lost. Fudd

It may have been Fudd that built that range and set it up for you to have a place to go shoot. Did that ever cross your feeble mind.
Were you out there working with Fudd to make it better? What are your ideas to make it better?
I have to sign off as I my partner in crime and I did the best we could with what we had.
My blood pressure is high at this pont. Fuck you punks that never show up for Range day and Clean up but you know how to pitch a bitch.
Fudd

Reactions: Muriner
Try to hunt around them bastards. They'll follow you everywhere hoping to get some sweet feed.
The only asshole at my range is me. Sometimes the cows too. Those bastards walk all around my targets when I want to shoot. I'm like," come on, you have 650 private acres to graze and you pick the target hill."
Some people...

Reactions: Ranchhand
My favorite are the bumfuck AR guys who always manage to end up right next to me on my left on an otherwise completely empty range, and proceed to mag dump without a brass barrier/catcher, peppering me with their flying brass and making it so I can't shoot. No matter what I can't seem to avoid it every time I go out.

Private range. Technically you're not supposed to talk to anyone outside your group. Leave other members alone. I'll get the occasional talker want to ask me something.

Did have one 'encounter' the other week. Kinda a douche but I was over my time. Not sure why they even let him on the lane as usually if someone is still on the lane they just re-assign the new guy to a free lane. If I go in and my "lane" is occupied I just go back out and let them and they give me another lane.

Man, I didn't realize just how good I have it at my range. Everyone I have met so far has been courteous or at least accommodating. We enjoy speaking to each other to inquire about others weapons or what loads they're using. Need to borrow a tool, just ask. Consideration and common courtesy is the key to happiness in so many areas of life. Unfortunately, the world is also full of self-absorbed assholes.

I remember when a property bordering our dove pasture was being developed and when we returned the following season and started blasting we heard yells Stop Shooting!

Fuck you! apparently carries well over distance because we never heard anything back.

Proverbially speaking that is. Two days at the range...two days one complete ass and another person less than sympathetic about listening to logic.

1a) Me: "So, when do you think you all will go cold on range so I can set my targets up? Oh, right now, cool. Hey...how do you like your CTR."
1b) Answer: WHAT? What are YOU talking about?
1c) Me: "Your Compact Tactical Rifle there, the CTR."
1d) Answer: "Oh, I thought you just weren't smart enough to say Tikka."
1c) "To myself: Ok...so you're a complete dickhead who really should go find their own fucking range to play at so you can jerk your dick off between "loads."

2) I'm going to ask same question about range going cold even though technically I'm "in charge" of hot/cold. So I physically walk down the line go ask every person if they are ready to go cold for 5 minutes. Here comes somebody directly at me, following me like some kind of HARM missile. Ok, I stop.
a) Me: "Hey, how's it going?"

b) Answer: YOU are shooting over the berm, you've been doing that all day. YOU need to stop.

c) Me: "Really? I've just gotten here, put four rounds down, changed rifles, and may have put another 12 down range."

d) Answer: Maybe so, that's what YOU say, but you're shooting over the berm.

e) Me: "No, I don't think so, I've only been shooting for maybe 20 minutes tops. Just really got here. Besides I see all the holes (16 of them) in my paper from each shot."

f) Answer "Just because you're hitting paper doesn't mean you're not shooting over the berm."

g) Me: "That's correct if your target is mounted too low they'll skip; however, I know for a fact none of my bullets are skipping before the berm."

h) Answer: "Well, YOU KNOW that paper doesn't mean you're hitting at the berm, you have to have the berm behind the sights too."

i) Me: "Yes, I know that, but I guarantee none of my bullets are skipping off the ground over the berm, I GUARANTEE it. I think he finally grasps that I'm about ready to tell him to fuck off. Then he says..well, they can bounce off the berm too, maybe that's what happened.

i) Me: still about to unload my potty mouth, thought the better of it, and said something to the effect of "well, thanks for telling me, I'll go look and see." So, he leaves, I call range cold, go look at my target now half way between bench & berm (before it was at berm), note all rounds in paper, then march down the line of sight of bullet...not a single mark in the wet clay, nothing, not directly in LOS, not 5 nor 10 yards to either side. No way in FUCK that was me unless they were skipping off something on the berm.

I should have asked him to show me how I was shooting over the berm with no marks in wet mud/clay and all holes in target (and I had the empty brass already collected) with obvious caliber change . I mention this later back at the range facility with folks around; and then I get the blame again that it was me...without anybody knowing WHEN or what I was shooting, how long I was shooting, what station I was shooting, etc. All because I brought up the fact that somebody confronted me rather aggressively to start with accusing me of this. I even said they could go look for themselves to see there are no bullet marks in the wet clay before berm. Which then was responded to by some fat fuck that I was hitting my wood stanchion (wood poles) or the metal stand. I have my own, made out of PVC to hold 1x2's, holding targets up. My brain was like "Ok MF's...come to my truck...look at my wood poles & my stand...not a bullet hole in them."

Nobody was taking into account the other long rifle bay right next to them has steel which some idiots shoot at obtuse angles, it could have been coming back over the other way or to their side. There were also newbies training on pistol where I was; which while they were supervised, who knows where shit was going.

One or two more of these incidents and I'm asking for my range money back and finding another place to shoot. Correct course of action is member go to range office, make complaint, range owner/manager comes and has discussion. Hence why I really try to not shoot on weekends; but they've started renting out part of the range on occasion (kinda violates what I call a private range).

Just curious...anybody else have assholes at their range?

What range was this?

What range was this?
It's not really the range that's irritating, but we have some members who have an overly high opinion of themselves and their skills. I don't have an issue with the owner as he's brought us something this area has long needed and I was committed enough after the first year to buy the platinum membership (OUCH) so could shoot pistol bay without an extra fee (private bay for steel, drills, etc) and a guest per month. Now, if I could stop working from 8a to 10p I'd be out there. Somebody has to pay for ammo though :). Gotta keep the tank full.

Reactions: Foul Mike
The biggest problem with "private" ranges is the owner probably doesn't give a crap about what the friends and family do on the range. I have been on a private range when a friend of the range owner decided to set up a steel target in line with the benches and like 15 feet to the side. He then stepped back 10 feet and shot at the steel. I got hit in the head by a piece of bullet fragment, enough to bleed, when he shot the steel. I told the guy he needed to move the steel ahead of the line and that we were getting hit with fragments. His exact response was "I am XXXXX and I am good friends with the range owner and if you don't like how I am shooting you can just leave".

• Angry
In all fairness to the owner, he's new at this game and still learning. I think I just happened to be at the range 2x this weekend when the jerk factor was quite high. Having to explain multiple times that there was no way in hell I was shooting the ground in front of the berm and being accusing incorrectly of poor safety is what burned me up more than anything. Now, if it's hitting the berm and richochet occurs, then maybe the berm needs softer dirt.

Coming onto somebody confrontational from the get-go is a sure fire way to get yourself on somebody's bad side immediately and likely permanently.

I am a certified instructor. I literally live out in the middle of nowhere and have shot here for all my life. About 8 years ago I was teaching some younger kids, 10-12 years old, gun safety when a neighbor came onto my porch upset about it.

As he walks onto my front porch:

Him: How the f**k can you afford to shoot all the f**king time?
Me: Want to shoot?
Him: I wouldn't touch those f**king things, you just need to quit shooting.
Me: Watch your language we have kids right here
Him: I don't give a f**k
Hearing the neighbor yelling my wife walks out of the house to see what is going on.
Wife: Calm down (towards him)

Him: I wasn't talking to you, carry your ass back in the house (directed at my wife)
Me: Get off my property
Him: Is that any way to treat a neighbor?
Me: Leave!
Him: That really isn't being neighborly
Me: Go! (Pointing towards his car)

As I was walking him out I handed him my number.

Me: If you call or text me I will make sure I stop for the day, you won't hear another gunshot until you move in

Him: I shouldn't have to call you
Me: Well that is the only way I will know you are on your property
Him: You just shouldn't be shooting those things
Me: That isn't going to stop
Him: Yes it will, I will call the cops and tell them you have machine guns and they will take you away forever
Me: Do what you got to do

BTW, at the time I had a lot of LE come out pretty regularly to zero their guns and shoot some of my stuff.

After this my wife got worried about him so I bought a gate to lock our driveway when I am shooting or teaching. The next time I was shooting the same guy started yelling ""F**k you" and honking his horn from about 200 yards away. When I didn't stop shooting he drove down presumably to have another discussion. When he seen the newly installed gate he sat at the end of my driveway honking his horn and power breaking his truck for like 10 minutes. I just ignored him. After a few months of him doing that every time he visited his property, like twice a week, he realized that was not going to stop me from shooting. His next plan was to go to all the surrounding neighbors and tell him he caught me trying to kill their kids as they walked home from the school bus. And when that didn't work he tried to say I tried to kill him. He told anyone who would listen that he was watching me through binoculars, seen me point a gun at him and fire. He said he felt the bullet miss him by millimetres.

Not sure what it is but not that long ago people, especially gun people, got along and were respectful of each other.

• Wow
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
You have a great deal of patience and fortitude. When he started cursing in front of the kids, as you did I would have asked him, to please stop. When he kept cursing in front of the kids I would have gotten a bucket of water and dumped it on him. When he showed disrespect for my wife I would have bitch-slapped him. After throwing him off my property I would have gotten a restraining order. At 70yo I guess I lost my patience a few years ago for that type of behavior. I may get my assed wupped but there would be evidence he got in a fight. I heard it best in "Lonesome Dove," “I hate rude behavior in a man. I won’t tolerate it.” Especially on my own property.

Reactions: gatorbait308
I've got a 5ft dogwood I use as a livestock whisperer. It's pretty versatile.

Maybe pick a better spot on the range? I know all about hot brass.BTDT many times shooting High Power.
I always try to pick the far right lane whenever I can for that reason when I'm slinging AR brass. I try to be respectful. Sometimes I'm the guy with the bolt gun just trying to sight something in - I don't enjoy a hot brass shower and more than the next guy.

I learned a while back that if you really want to piss someone off, bring an auto to a trap line without a shell catcher, and fling a few rounds at the guy next to you with the $20,000 Krieghoff. You'll make friends fast :) I never actually did it - I was fortunate enough to be warned - but I've witnessed it at least a dozen times over the years and its lead to some "interesting" conversations.

• Haha
On of the reasons that I moved to MO is to shoot on my own property Now, I'm the only asshole at the range

• Haha
Reactions: gatorbait308
On of the reasons that I moved to MO is to shoot on my own property Now, I'm the only asshole at the range

My family owns a good deal of land in North Central PA. There's nothing like it. I don't get out there enough. For now, I live int he burbs (but on the fringe at least...) so it is what it is. The bottom line - know your club(s). They all tend to cater to one crowd or another, even if they don't intend to. Its hard to be all things to all people and offer everything everyone wants. There isn't enough room and/or money for everything. That's why I belong to 3-4 clubs at any given time. I got a club for skeet, a club for sporting, and a club for long range/tactical. Sometimes I'll double up on the Skeet if I'm really shooting a lot. Fortunately clubs are cheap around here so I can afford it. The one club that "has it all" is great, but too far away for regular shooting. Right now its hard enough to do anything in a "regular" way.

Everybody has a bad day so most get a pass the first time they show their ass. Happens again and the outcome will be very different.

BTW, shortly after that he decided to unload on a neighbor in the same way. I was watching his materials for the house he is building until that day. I didn’t see it but someone stole a truck load of materials. They loaded it into a service truck stolen from another neighbor.