• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Oops....

Re: Oops....

Well...where's the before and after groups?

I'm considering doing the same thing with my Armalite 300 SAUM and 8-32 x 56 NXS to see how the AADMOUNT holds up. I'm sure there will be a crater in the earth, but I doubt much else will happen.

And? Anything break/shift/bend/alter/scratch/etc?

Would like to see this test with the HDMR...

is Bushy CS pretty legit?

Regards,
DT

Damage was done. Concrete and Aluminum don't get along. I am trying to finish up the video tomorrow. I spent the day at the range so I need to squeeze in some family time.

I will say that the drop(S) in the dirt didn't hurt anything. It just put a crater in the ground. The drops on concrete did.

I don't know that Bushnell would replace a scope if you intentionally bounce it off the deck.

I have detailed pics of the damage. Once I wash the mud off I will get some more pics for the review wrap up. I am impressed with this scope for the price range. It was still fully functional once I was done beating it.

Yeah the concrete part pic makes me cringe. The drop into soft soil, not so much. An average optic/mount set up should be able to handle that kind of <span style="text-decoration: line-through">torture</span> massage

Funny thing concrete... it doesn't seem to have as much give once you stand on it.

I hope someone (other than you) is sponsoring this fun.

Damn that hurts my wallet!

Seriously though. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to the details.

I wouldn't want my rifle to hit the concrete just to test the scope.
I would imagine the second thing to hit the concrete was the barrel............

That's when you hope you got your partners gun instead of yours. Then once "dropped" turn your head. I seen nothing! LOL!

Its pretty funny that these were posted today since I was just thinking about how much it would suck to knock my new $1300 ss5-20 off a bench.

I guess I'll just have to shoot form he deck so it can't fall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcsguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not drop just the scope? </div></div>

Physics.

More weight means a harder hit. Most of us mount our scopes to rifles. Testing a scope that isn't mounted doesn't make much sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: css</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't want my rifle to hit the concrete just to test the scope.
I would imagine the second thing to hit the concrete was the barrel............ </div></div>

Then you will never know if your rifle and scope will still be functional unless you or somebody else does it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcsguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not drop just the scope? </div></div>

When a scope falls it usually has a rifle attached to it, not too often you see people out with just a scope. It doesn't accurately test the ruggedness of the scope if the rifle isn't attached to it as it would be if it took a spill. 10-20lbs vs. just 1-2lbs plays a huge roll in the impact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcsguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not drop just the scope? </div></div>

Physics.

More weight means a harder hit. Most of us mount our scopes to rifles. Testing a scope that isn't mounted doesn't make much sense. </div></div>

Beat me to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: css</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't want my rifle to hit the concrete just to test the scope.
I would imagine the second thing to hit the concrete was the barrel............ </div></div>

Confidence in your equipment.

I built that AR10. Nothing on it I can't fix/replace. However the only thing damaged was a little coating on the brake. Maybe a new scratch on the side. The scope actually took most of the impact.

The barrel is a Noveske. It's pretty thick. I am not too worried about bending it the way it was dropped. I wouldn't want to drop it muzzle first though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcsguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not drop just the scope? </div></div>

Physics.

More weight means a harder hit. Most of us mount our scopes to rifles. Testing a scope that isn't mounted doesn't make much sense. </div></div>

Beat me to it. </div></div>

Very true...but it wouldn't really be that hard to mount a rail to a 5' long piece of bar or pipe, but then again...I wanted to see the before/after groups. Kinda hard to do that with a pipe.

Thanks for being the one to test this stuff out, makes me cringe watching though, looking forward to the results with any range report on the viperskins.

Thinking every circumstance is a bit different. It's not good for any precision instrument to be dropped on a solid surface such as concrete. The best scope in the world can fail if struck just right. I had a 14lb rifle fall scope first onto concrete last year from 3 1/2ft by accident.My heart sank as I watched it fall and bounce. The scope was a crappy Leupold MK IV, it dinged the elv turrent and ruined sunshade but it didnt lose zero and continues to track.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JDixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I saw that photo in the preview, I felt like someone just go kicked in the balls lol </div></div>

You should be standing next to me as I am editing it then. I have replayed that sequence about twenty times today to get the timing between two cameras right. The sound an AR makes when it hits the ground is like nails on a chalkboard. I have to do pushups to clear my conscience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have to do pushups to clear my conscience. </div></div>

Hahaha, I remember those days.

Thank you for taking the time and having the balls to do something like this. I would never have considered purchasing a Bushnell before this, but if after that beating it holds zero, I'm damn impressed. +100 to you sir.

I wasn't thinking about bending the barrel, just the big concrete rash the top of the muzzle was going to have.

I put quality rails, rings and scopes on my rifles just in case it ever happens, I don't plan to purposely test them.
I'll let the R&D dept do that.

Shit does happen though. I bought a Lipsey's special run Ruger No 1 SS in 257 bob. Hand picked wood, some of the nicest walnut I've ever seen on a factory rifle. First trip to the range, big gust of wind blew it out of the(crappy) rifle rack. Picked it up and it still had 3 22lr cases stuck in the wood.

So is this a preview for your new guide to barrel break-in? ;D ("Those of us with a good ear like myself can generally hear from the harmonic oscillations when you got to a sweet spot...")

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogonzalez13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know someone has to do these kinds of test, but it sure does hurt to watch. </div></div>

Agreed

I have a USO scope that is on my 6.5 that bounced so hard when it fell that the rings broke off of the rifle. The scope works fine. The rings were replaced by the maker.
It happens sometimes that our equipment gets banged up. If you have good stuff it is not as likely to break.

Serious torture test.. Looking forward to your results...

I had a burris XTR fall 17ft onto dirt, only was off 6in. sighted it back in good to go. It made me cringe.....

Just wondering:

If you need the weight issue [scope on the rifle] and dropped it from a low elevation would dropping it from a higher elevation w/o the rifle accomplished the same result...

I can't balance my check book .... so you know where I am....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goldy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That range sure looks like red brush. I'm headed there early saterday. </div></div>

Yep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michael sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you need the weight issue [scope on the rifle] and dropped it from a low elevation would dropping it from a higher elevation w/o the rifle accomplished the same result...</div></div>

Possibly, but this was easier, faster and more dramatic.

I am almost done with the video. I need to shoot some final photos, the wrap up. It's going to be a long one. About 25 minutes..so hopefully your attention spans will endure it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogonzalez13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know someone has to do these kinds of test, but it sure does hurt to watch. </div></div>

Exactly! The factory does this kind or R&D so we dont have to drop stuff on the ground! LOL! I see this kinda thing and just shake my head! LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GPRIPPERS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The factory does this kind or R&D so we dont have to drop stuff on the ground!</div></div>

Some do some dont. I am not privy to what each does.

I can bet that USO, Nightforce, S&B, and anyone else who goes after the military solicitations do some type of impact or durability testing. Not sure how much Countersniper or Centerpoint do.

I would not suggest you go out and bounce your scope off the pavement. I have scopes on my personal rigs that I am 100% sure will pass. I don't feel the need to drop test them. If I get a T&E sample from a manufacturer and they will let me do it....then why not? It gives you guys an idea of what the scope will take without you having to risk getting a warranty claim rejected.

Here is the "Reliability" Test Video in it's finished form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGBYzbnSYGE&hd=1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michael sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wondering:

If you need the weight issue [scope on the rifle] and dropped it from a low elevation would dropping it from a higher elevation w/o the rifle accomplished the same result...

I can't balance my check book .... so you know where I am.... </div></div>

Too many variables. If you are only worried about the impulse and associated shock impact to the scope, you could do some mv calculations and figure out what speed you get an equivalent momentum transfer in a similar (note, probably not the same) amount of time. At best, even with some detailed calculations, your answer still won't be representative of a real drop with a real rifle attached. You don't have the same moments of intertia, stiffness of the various parts and their reaction stresses, as well as the impact profile (what parts hit where and when). You could finite element model the whole setup and do it on a computer and get a better answer than a scope only drop test...but then you'd need real world results to verify that you modeled it correctly. Ultimately, prototypic testing (dropping the actual setup) for a complex configuration like this is the only way to really know. Someone's gotta do it if you want the final answer. Of course...one data point is far from conclusive. I think you need to drop your rifle at least 19 more times and then we can calculate a reasonably accurate 95/95 tolerance interval for the number of kittens killed every time that thing hits pavement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TNT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you need to drop your rifle at least 19 more times and then we can calculate a reasonably accurate 95/95 tolerance interval for the number of kittens killed every time that thing hits pavement. </div></div>

Awesome!