• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Open coms for night hunting?

Yotetalker

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2011
US
Anyone have any suggestions for a open com system for coyote hunting. No push to talk no cell. Somthing to communicate with in a few 100 yards of each other.

Some radios have a setting for a mic to automatically switch to transmit when you speak up.

Reactions: Yotetalker
I would find this very interesting as well. The problem is having the transmissions walk all over one another. Used to, it could be gotten around by duplexing where you transmit on one frequency that your buddy receives and he transmits on another frequency that you receive. That took some nifty wiring to accomplish. As I recall, the FCC frowned on this practice, but that has been 40 years ago.

Some radios have a setting for a mic to automatically switch to transmit when you speak up.

VOX, voice activation...I have looked into these, but not in a couple of years. The problem with with is that 'speaking up' is not what you want to be doing during most hunting situations, particularly night hunting. So you have to turn the sensitivity way up to activate with quieter voices, which means you get a lot of unintentional mic activation such as when the other person is talking, and/or you fail to get proper activation and your buddy doesn't hear half of what you say.

Maybe things have changed and my experience is out of date, which would make me quite happy, because we could use something like this as well.

Is there some reason why simply touching a button when you want to talk won't work?

Is there some reason why simply touching a button when you want to talk won't work?

Yes, because your hands are busy.

In our case, we would use them for coordinating shooting of hogs. There have been numerous times when it would have been beneficial to not have the shooters all in the same spot. Holding down a mic button while sighting a rifle isn't convenient. Plus, if one of the shooters has a reason to halt the shot sequence, nobody will hear them because the frequency is already occupied by the person controlling the hunt.

Yes, because your hands are busy.

In our case, we would use them for coordinating shooting of hogs. There have been numerous times when it would have been beneficial to not have the shooters all in the same spot. Holding down a mic button while sighting a rifle isn't convenient. Plus, if one of the shooters has a reason to halt the shot sequence, nobody will hear them because the frequency is already occupied by the person controlling the hunt.
Same exact thing one hand controlling the Tripod or focusing scope and light the other the firing hand may be traversing even during the count down or even walking into a stand one hand carrying gear the other scanning them you walk up on a pair need it hands free and open all the time

Reactions: Double Naught Spy
The only option I know of is to use cell phones with bluetooth headsets (or ear buds) but the problem with cell phones is that you need signal (tough in some areas) and for some issues, the signal delay may be a problem.

yes open coms nothing beats listening in on a hot mic with a group of friends ( guys) snoring being the best most gentle noise you hear that evening the night long farting contest , Paul deciding his bean burrito need to make an quick exit and he had to share the experience with the group or another member fighting with the fact he needs to eat salad more often and his grunting and groaning sounds like a wild beats in heat hours of grand heavy breathing , swallowing and people making all sorts of inhuman noises . good luck with your hunt and the things you hear that can't be unheard .

• Haha
Reactions: Boon20
The only option I know of is to use cell phones with bluetooth headsets (or ear buds) but the problem with cell phones is that you need signal (tough in some areas) and for some issues, the signal delay may be a problem.
I’m from the sticks of KY where you meet you wife at family reunions and still shit in the building out back. Cellphone service ; it takes me 30 mins just to get snipershide to load. Lol

Even the cheapo Baofengs have VOX modes in the settings. With a decent little headset they work pretty well. Some of the better radios even have setting for the VOX sensitivity.