• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Open ended request - most accurate 1000yd rifle.

Re: Blank check build - most accurate 1000yd rifle.

I would like to see some pictures of this rail gun setup.

We have narrowed it down to the 338 Lapua. It's easy to load for with lots of good components and readily available factory ammo if needed. Planning to use it prone off the bipod. An adjustable A5 should do nicely. With a single shot Bat I don't think a barrel block is going to be needed. Sounds like he might even use it for big game. I've got some schooling to do.

Just one big question no one has asked. You can have the most kickass rifle,optics,load possible. But if you dont have the skills to use it. It dont mean sh*t to me!

Does his guy have the skills?

*Straight;

I apologize for my sarcasm regarding integrity. It was in bad taste, and not intended as any criticism or mockery of you or of your craft.

My thinking was more in the direction of catering to largess; of indulging whims that profess to create implements for accomplishing the impossible.

But in point of fact, there's really no good argument against that. It is a valid pursuit, and is the means by which one endeavors to stretch the envelope. If someone wants to invest their hard earned valuta in such pursuits, more power to them, and to those who empower that pursuit.

Having said that, here's my vision.

Starting with the barrel, the blank check figures prominently here.

I have often made comment regarding the Lothar-Walther Ultra-Lightweight Barrel. This is, in effect, a sleeved, tensioned barrel, that also provides a highly effective heat dissipation capacity. I'd have one myself, but until recently, my funding could not support such an indulgence. Now it can, and the only remaining impediment is the lack of a suitable project. This one could suffice.

My barrel would be a L-W Ultra-Lightweight, 28" long, 7mm bore, 1:8" twist. I would provide it with a SAAMI .280 Remington chamber. The chambering is easy to load for, and easy to find accuracy with. The barrel and twist allow it to project highly efficient bullets to well, well, beyond 1000yd.

The SAAMI spec allows any factory load, and eliminates the need for neck work.

The chambering holds enough potential that any accuracy loss due to the SAAMI neck would not be a serious detriment.

Further, it achieves its efficiency without straining any pressure limits. Meanwhile, the entire package stays well within human limits regarding energy expenditure and the ability to endure sustained fire. I like the idea of employing adequate, rather than overwhelming, energy.

A 175gr 7mm VLD bullet, going supersonic at any distance, is going to ruin any critter's day.

Stock; any one of the McMillan A-Series Tactical stocks, with filler that best supports the action.

I'm no good with selecting actions, my prejudice toward Savage disqualifies me from giving such advice, but whatever it is, I'd have McMillan pillar bed the rifle into their stock. They did mine, and it's one of those beloved rifles Chad remarked upon; much used, twice rebarreled, and still as far from its retirement as I am from the grave. I know I'm talking to a gun building artist, but this is one step I can suggest from experience, and with confidence.

Barrel, action, stock; at this point, the buyers' personal preferences outweigh anything I'd choose to suggest further. But at this point, the rifle I'd want has its core values indelibly established.

Greg

Cool thread.

Seems to me that first order of business is to see whether or not he wants to go big bore with harder to find components like the 375 Cheytac, or if he wants something more available.

If he chooses the more common smaller bore route, for max performance I dont see why you wouldn't build a magnum 7mm of some flavor. If you want to do substantially better in a heavy gun, I would skip the .338 series and go right on up to 375. The big 7s and the high BC bullets available are a compelling argument...and you can have a fairly light repeater built.

At my AO, 905'MSL, corrected pressure 29.92, 70deg F, 48%humidity, 10mph direct crosswind:

7mm RM
.284 Berger 180 hybrid @ 3000fps is 6.4mils to 1000, with 50in/1.4mils drift

With some kind of improved Lapua 338 or 338edge
.338 Sierra 300MK @3000fps is 6.3 mils to 1000, with 44.4in/1.2mils drift

There is a big step up in weight and recoil with the 338s, and it is tough to find a mag box to hold those rounds in a 338 repeater, of course not a factor with the Bat single shot. A long throated 7mm will have no problems in a repeater.

Anyway, those numbers are why I went with the 7mm...and why if I want to step up in performance I will skip right over the 338s and go to the 375. Don't want to pay the cost/weight/recoil penalty for a 338 for only 0.2mils of drift performance.

Sorry, just noticed you are going with the 338LM. Missed that somehow on the read through. Well, for big game hunting he will definitely have the energy he needs.

Given that .338 LM has been chosen as the caliber my idea for a blank check build would be to pick up AIAW folder in .338.

I'd then order up a gain twist blank from Bartlein and spin it up with the tightest no turn chamber possible. For me the tube would be about 22", but your customer would probably prefer 26"-28". I'd also slap a surefire brake and can on it.

Viper skins, spuhr mount, badger IMUNS, NV scope, bipod, fitted case, and S&B 5-25 or March 5-40 would round out the package.

blank check = everything badass

BAT action. 7mm thunderhulk custom rifle custom Ammo. you can bet his buddies have never heard of it.
338 LM is second choice ...
whatever heavy barrel you want to use with the coolest flute job you can find!
custom break there are several good one
Sentinal combat stock or AIAX both are unique and good looking
Shark suppressor
best trigger? who knows pick a good one
rings and optic. US optics.
paint...find out what he would like? Ask him and then ask the wife if he has one. kick ass graphics and paint to these guys are just the cherry on top.
Include the BEST case for it as well. paint case to match gun! This guy won't care. This is just like the custom bike builders on TV.

This guy obviously has tons of cash and is willing to spend it. I know guys like that. there is nothing wrong with that. he likes you and he likes your work. he has enough cash to go anywhere he wants and he chose you... Build him a super badass rifle get all the very best bells and whistles and pray that he outshoots all his buddies.. you can bet they have cash too. and will want one better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Straight Shooter*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the ideas. Parts are ordered. Now just waiting. </div></div>

Damn, I just read this entire post and nothing in the end. That's kinda like a handjob without the happy ending. <span style="font-weight: bold">What the hell did you get?????</span>

Blank check.... I just want to see what that looks like built and how it shoots??

Be interesting to read any end results after he gets the gun.

One scenario,

Big money guy says:

"Yeah my buddies were all out yesterday and bragging every time they would hit a chunk of steel or big rock shooting out thru 1000 yards. Waited till they felt like they were LR heroes and I went to the truck and grabbed my case. Opened it up and casually flopped on the ground and proceeded to shoot all the smaller targets they couldn't hit. Made it look so easy.........

Felt pretty darn good with the money spent till this old fella wandered over and asked what we were shooting at. Commented on the guns and especially mine since he'd heard the ring on the distant steel. I got another chance to share all the goodies that were used and how much it cost.

Mind if I shoot a couple shots out there with mine? Go ahead old timer, he drags out this plain Jane looking Savage that couldn't of cost $2300.00 scope and all and proceeded to hit every target I had just done and then some.

Hmmmm, man he's lucky.

Big dollars don't always mean the best performance. Just picked Savage because they aren't considered top shelf but other brands can be substituted.

Just saying it's fun to see those guys big dollar guys shooting and find out it's the ones that spend time shooting thousands of rounds downrange with decent equipment that you have to be aware of.

Hope this new gun does everything the new owner is hoping for and it's nice to have the bucks to do this but it isn't going to necessarily mean he'll be the King of the range with it.

Topstrap

TopStrap,

I agree that big dollars doesn't mean a shooter can shoot. But, I've found very few 'off the shelf' rifles that can consistently "center-punch" past 1k.

I love my Savages. But I will tell you, that without at least putting the custom barrel on there that I did, would it be as accurate as it is at one mile. My whole 'Savage transformation' cost about $3000 including scope. FWIW, I've tried shooting precision that far and it doesn't work so well with a cheap scope. I probably could have gotten away with it with a scope of about half the price, $750.

Re: Open ended request - most accurate 1000yd rifle.

You didn't say a mile initially, little difference there and I also didn't say factory, just a whole lot cheaper gun.

Based on the initial 1000 yard requirement I'd still stand by my scenario. You have to have the skills to go with the equipment.

Topstrap

Re: Open ended request - most accurate 1000yd rifle.

6BR, 284, 7wsm, 6.5x284. Id go with a BAT action personally. Scoville or Mcmillan F class stock. Barrel manufacturer of your choice, but for F CLass shooting I prefer the Kreiger or Brux barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Straight Shooter*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thoughts on 280AI verses 7WSM. I have both reamers. I haven't tried any high end 280AI builds but the 7WSM we did is stupid accurate.

Any recent credible rumors on the 7mm 195 Berger?

</div></div>

Check this out from accurate shooter
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3798412.0

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Straight Shooter*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It just bumped up to a 375 CheyTac repeater. I would be curious to see a Savage, Sako, Factory anything run with this at a mile. </div></div>

Not to play the devils advocate, but this is probably the point Topstrap is making. Once you get to a caliber that will do the job, you've got to work on the shooter to get him up to the task.

A .375 Cheytac isn't so easy to handle as most people might think. Even with a brake there is still a lot of recoil. You add weight to keep that down, it goes against the original intent. As far as keeping the rifle 'packable' I would honestly limit it to .338. I know at a decent altitude on a modestly warm day a 7mm WSM will get you out to 2200m. A .338 will beat that.

Seriously though, you will have to narrow the customer down on exactly what he wants to do with it. If it's a 1k varmint, I'd even say stay with a 6mm or 6.5mm. But, if he's wanting to take it to one mile, then he seriously needs to add some beef to the project and expectations. And suffer the drawbacks at short range of what he wants to do at extended range.

Without this information, it's a tail chasing exercise. "I want this". "But, I want it to also do that". "Well expect that we recommend the larger, so as to encompass both". "Well it's too big and heavy" "Then don't expect extended range accuracy". It plainly boils down to ballistics and what supports that. And of course, is HE up to the task. If he is, he should already know what will/won't do it.

Wow what alot of different approaches.......

Someone stated the availability of ammo.....being new to this world but a long time .300 shooter .......

why not the 300 RUM factory ammo available and it is in the park at 1k.... always can rebarrel and go custom with 338 edge if not enough....

( let the bashing begin )

High MV, big BC overcomes many mistakes in reading wind at long distance.

The shooter needs some skills (shooting, reading wind) before the virtues of a hyperaccurate rifle will be seen. But, a high BC and MV pay dividends regardless of the shooter's skills.

The 0.375 Cheytac should perfect. Your client is benefitting from your seriousness to his request. I'm sure it will be one sweet rifle. Good luck to both of you - I can't wait to see what happens.

Competition brings out the best!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Straight Shooter*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It just bumped up to a 375 CheyTac repeater. I would be curious to see a Savage, Sako, Factory anything run with this at a mile. </div></div>

Then you need to look up the 338 Allen Magnum (338/408 Cheytac Improved), 300 gr Berger VLD AT 3400 FPS. You can also get head stamped brass for it as Chad was mentioning up above.