• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Open for suggestions building on a 30-06 bolt face

dawson08

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2012
West Virginia
Picked up a action and trigger from a remington 700 in long action (30-06) Im going to leave it up to the hide members to decide what caliber barrel to put on this build. It is going to be used for long range comps. Most votes win and ill post pics of the build and results of the shooting. ANY CALIBER THAT WILL FIT IN THIS ACTION AND BOLT FACE>

Re: Open for suggestions building on a 30-06 bolt face

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lefty81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5x55 </div></div>

for some reason this brass is a bargain from lapua

The 6.5X55 is a great choice, but how about the .284WIN shooting a 180gr bullet? 7mms are hard to beat! I currently own 2 rifles in 7mm chamberings, but someday I will have a 6.5X55....someday
smile.gif

6.5-284. I built one on a Remmy 700 and a Benchmark barrel, and it shot 1/4moa groups with the 140 AMAX's and H4831sc. Heres a pic:

Pxkdl.jpg

I'd also like to know why you choose the chambering you choose.

280 Remington. Great barrel life and down range performance.

You could always build a 30-06 with 208 a max.

.25-06 AI if you already have a 6.5 bore rifle. I just went through the same mental excercise and landed on that one. Now Brownells has wsm actions on sale and I want a .243 WSSM just because.

I did the 6.5 Creedmoor from a 30-06 and main reason over the other 6.5's was brass availability and price. I have about 100 rounds through it and it appears it is going to be a shooter.