• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Opening bolt face from .473 to .532

USW.260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
The World as we know it.
Ok getting an Rem 700 long action in '06 going to use the bolt that comes with it and true up the action and bolt. Anyways I want to make it a 300wm. Is cutting the .059 to open up the bolt face going to mess up putting an Sako or Badger M16 extractor on it? Thanks.

Re: Opening bolt face from .473 to .532

You have machine the bolt nose out and then make a bushing to be soldiered in. It is then cut to the correct dia. and can then do the machining for whichever extractor you want to use.

If you are having to pay someone to do this I would just get a new PTG one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: field</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have machine the bolt nose out and then make a bushing to be soldiered in. It is then cut to the correct dia. and can then do the machining for whichever extractor you want to use.

If you are having to pay someone to do this I would just get a new PTG one.</div></div>

+1 you can always sell the bolt to help pay for the new one, or you could build a switch barrel and keep it.

It is not hard at all to have the bolt face opened. You do not need a bushing. But you will need to add a Sako or m16 extractor. The cost will be around 150.00 for the gunsmithing.

If you are going to blue print the action you might as well have it done right and go with a PTG bolt. the cost is going to be around 400.00 for process.

Now I will throw you a serious curve.... This is what I would do.....

Sell your action for 400.00 take the 400.00 you would have to put into the work of blue printing and opening up bolt face and adding extractor. add maybe 100.00 and buy a custom action.

Bam now you have a custom action for close to the same price, and it holds it's value, as well as you get the custom gun oooohs and aaawhs when friends see your project.....

Run the numbers.... not to put down the great gunsmiths on here, but the gunsmith wins when you blue print actions... you win when you just step up and buy custom.... <span style="color: #3366FF">they most likely will shoot the same if you have the blue printing done right...</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: field</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have machine the bolt nose out and then make a bushing to be soldiered in. It is then cut to the correct dia. and can then do the machining for whichever extractor you want to use.

If you are having to pay someone to do this I would just get a new PTG one.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is not hard at all to have the bolt face opened. You do not need a bushing. But you will need to add a Sako or m16 extractor. The cost will be around 150.00 for the gunsmithing.

If you are going to blue print the action you might as well have it done right and go with a PTG bolt. the cost is going to be around 400.00 for process.

Now I will throw you a serious curve.... This is what I would do.....

Sell your action for 400.00 take the 400.00 you would have to put into the work of blue printing and opening up bolt face and adding extractor. add maybe 100.00 and buy a custom action.

Bam now you have a custom action for close to the same price, and it holds it's value, as well as you get the custom gun oooohs and aaawhs when friends see your project.....

Run the numbers.... not to put down the great gunsmiths on here, but the gunsmith wins when you blue print actions... you win when you just step up and buy custom.... <span style="color: #3366FF">they most likely will shoot the same if you have the blue printing done right...</span></div></div>

After trying the whole boltface opening thing, I've decided that from now on I'm only doing one of the two above suggestions.

Thanks Gents... But I'll be doing the Machining. I've happened to come across a mag bolt thats for sale and I'll be keeping the .473 the way it is probably to build a sexy '06 with. Soooo now to get the Badger extractor for both bolts and "learn" to install it.

It is then cut to the correct dia. and can then do the machining for whichever extractor you want to use.
g.gif