• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opening lab radar up?

308James

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2022
Texas
Has anyone opened a lab radar? After removing the 8 Allen head boots the area around the tripod mount is not wanting separate. Is there another bolt or a screw somewhere or maybe a clip? Just don’t want to brake anything.

I found some pictures of the inside online but that is it.

Thanks,

Somewhere on SH, there is discussion where someone opened theirs up - IF - I recall correctly - there was one hidden screw that prevented it from just opening up after the removal of the other 8. I think it was under a piece of tape or similar. Might look around and see if you see anything like that. Good luck.

Has anyone opened a lab radar? After removing the 8 Allen head boots the area around the tripod mount is not wanting separate. Is there another bolt or a screw somewhere or maybe a clip? Just don’t want to brake anything.

I found some pictures of the inside online but that is it.

Thanks,
Just for curiosity's sake, why do you want to take it apart?

it's been a while, but 8 screws seems right, one under the tamper/warranty seal on the bottom. I does need a little work to wiggle apart. I installed a DC plug on mine to replace the silly mini-USB.

Probably looking to see if there is a Garmin inside like in Men in Black.

1701553903472.jpeg

I've opened mine up. There is a screw underneath the warranty/void sticker at the bottom center (if I recall correctly.)

It then seperates easily. Be careful, there are wires that connect things on the back assembly to the PCBA that is screwed to the front assembly.

The screws holding the PCBA backed out and the plastic standoffs actually ended up breaking. (which is why i had to disassemble) I've been keeping mine limping along but I think it might be time to try out the garmin...

Because they are worth their weight in boat anchors now, so you might as well.

I hope someone is watching the guy who was head of R&D at labradar closely around the holidays. Keep him away from ledges and sharp objects.

I personally have no pity for the LR people. The only time mine worked as advertised was when they returned (third time in for repair) one to me that belonged to someone else.
I hope they banked all the money they made and didn't spend it all on whiskey and women like I did.

• Haha
Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
Yes, the last one is under this sticker.

See:

Starting at 2:55 (german audio)

I have been planning on doing the same to mine. I have also thought of 3D printing a replacement battery door that connects to the existing battery connection so you do not have to get into it. I mentioned adding a DC connector and putting a voltage regulator in there so I could use the 2C lipo batteries with a XT30 connector on them like we use for the drone and RC plane radios. They said if the unit has been modified or the tamper seal is gone they will not work on them at all which I think is BS. I think I'm one of the lucky ones that has a unit that works pretty well, even with the Archery gear.

Yup, under the sticker, I get idiot of the day. In my head I even said 8 bolts, I even went through the trouble of removing the battery compartment sticker. The LR sticker just did not catch my eye. Thanks,

Reactions: RickyRacer87