• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Opening or Lengthing factory Rem 700 Ejection Port

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    Can this be done? Is there any reliability or functioning issues? Reason I want to do this is I have a Trued 700 that I want to drop into a stock inletted for a Defiance Medium action. The stock's port is about a half longer and I want to ejection port of the 700 to match the stock. Its purely aesthetics, but if I didn't or couldn't do it if would just irritate me.

Not sure which direction it would need to be opened up, but If purely for asthetics I'd be more likely to modify the stock than start cutting the action.

Not sure which direction it would need to be opened up, but If purely for asthetics I'd be more likely to modify the stock than start cutting the action.

That's just it, the stock has a longer ejection port, and the action port should need to be lengthened to the rear so I'm hoping someone can make it work.

Assuming fiberglass stock. You can always add back to the stock, and refinish. I've significantly modified several stocks to fit stuff they were never intended to. Went from a straight sporter stock for a short 700, and made it fit up to a ruger with an adjustable cheek piece Just to try it. My Howa 243 AI has a stock that was originally on a 375 H&H length Winchester. Reducing the cut for an ejection port on the stock is childs play, and certainly a more practical route to go than cutting the action. If you were ever to sell it down the road an action that has been modified like that would be very difficult to sell and likely bring an extremely poor price.

Its KMW Sentinel in molded swirl so that's a no go. I don't plan on selling this gun either as its a from my uncle who passed away and it will be my sons gun when I pass.

Last edited:
    I have done this with a Rem 700 stainless SA with very satisfactory results. I opened up the rear of the ejection port, lengthening the port, until I could eject
    300 Win Mag brass. I put a slight bevel on the inside of the front of the port to allow a little extra clearance as the empty case rotated out on ejection. I installed a Davidson style bolt stop as far back on the left rear action as bolt travel would allow. This gun was a 1000 yard Light Class rifle that was a solid 1/2 moa shooter with Sierra SMKs, and but for the sudden disappearance of my spotter during the last minute of the sighting period when I needed eyes on a scope for a wind change, would have likely taken the Score Trophy at the Nationals Match I was compering in. As it was, the final group was 4.5", but 4 " below the sighting card, and I lost Taking the Group Size Award for the relay to a 4" group, and was 5 points below the highest score. My spotter's excuse was "i thought you were good to go, man." I just turned and walked away.

Short answer: yes, it can be done, and with hand tools and patience. Diamond Grinders in a Dremel and good files, and itlooks like it came from the factory that way. Hope this novel answers your question ; )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD