• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Opinion on FFP scopes under $2500

Retooferab

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2010
Cabot, Ar.
Looking for opinions on a FFP scopes for $2500 or less that will be used for long range shooting and hunting.

I'm new to the long range game but not new to to shooting. Just want to buy once cry once and get the best scope for my money. I know the top brands, just wanting a good recommendation on the scope. Likes and dislikes. I know I want a FFP but that is all I'm stuck on.

ok, well do you prefer MOA or MRad? what about reticle design? Do you have anywhere locally that you can go to and compare?

Vortex Viper HS-LR with XLR reticle. Mine is a 6-24x and is fantastic (informative reticle, but not cluttered) The 4-16x would be fine, but the higher top end is nice to have (Ford/Chevy/Dodge argument all over again). Have used it on M1A's, 300 RUM bolt guns, and 10/22's... adjustments are accurate and holds zero every time.

Only thing I'd change is to cap the elevation turret... no good reason, just personal preference.

Although not cheap, this is one of the best bangs-for-your-buck on the market.

Darkside-six gave the best advice, see if you can find someplace close to you and play with a few different optics. In that price range there are lots of good offerings and when the "what's the best..." threads start up your only to get more confused because shooters seem to favor one optic or type of reticle and become very opinionated and defensive about said optic or reticle. Any of the above mentioned will serve you well so just pick based on what reticle you like and if you want MOA or MRad adjustments and what magnification range will serve your shooting needs.

In reality it does not matter for long, I have yet to meet the shooter, no matter how tight the budget, that didn't turn around and buy another optic within two years of the first. Heck some people flip them like a used car dealer (that be me, but I have a sickness)

Sully

Yes there is a couple of places near me that have a couple of the higher end stuff and I have looked through them. I travel a lot and am always looking at the nicer stuff. I'm not stuck on any reticle but want something to range with that is not overly cluttered. I won't be selling after I purchase, I still have a Leupold Vari XIII from the early 90s on my 25-06. Whatever I end up with will be put in a Larue mount where it will spend the rest of its days until I'm gone. I appreciate your replies a thoughts. Just want to make the right choice and not have buyers remorse.

Bushnell FFP G2DMR 3.5-21X50 is a great scope for the money if you can do without an illuminated reticle,

Very happy with my Leup MK6. For hunting, its also short and light, unless you like carrying around the Hubbell telescope on your rifle ... :)

I recently bought a Nightforce F1 with the MLR2 reticle from Eurooptic and I love it, to me it's the perfect magnification range for hunting/longrange, it's bulletproof, and has all of the features I was looking for (also if you order from eurooptic mention snipershide and they give you a discount)

Also check out the new Bushnell LRHS--there may still be some available in the group buy...

With 2500 as your budget I would pick up a used/demo Stiener 5-25. It would be right in that price range and I am very happy with mine. It's a little heavy, so if you are trying to have a lightweight hunting gun that would be a downside but if weight isn't a concern then Stiener would get my vote for your budget. Buy as much scope as you can afford IMHO.

You've asked the equivalent of "What car should I buy for $50,000?". Everyone is going to reply that whatever they have is best for you. Your only constraint is you want FFP. Almost every scope in that price range is FFP.

I'm ok with everyone posting what they have, as long as they tell me what they like and dislike. That's really what I'm wanting to know. I know the scopes in this range will have good glass, I just want to know what everyone likes and dislikes about the one they have. That will help me make the best choice for me.

My current FFP scopes are the March tactical and NF F1. The March is outstanding in every way. Best turrets I have ever used, tracks perfect and I can resolve at 24x a ant on the ground from two feet away. The illumination is good and I really like the floating dot reticle. I like is so much I have the 3-25 I just picked up off a Hide member here in SFP/MOA. The ONLY thing that could be better is low light performance, but with only a 44 objective it is to be expected. I have the ATACR and there is no comparison in low light, but the ATACR is three times the size and SFP.

My F1 was my old issue from the PD that I bought when we switched to the ATACR. I have been running it for 5-6 years now and it is perfect mechanically. Reticle is a bit outdated and the glass is not as sharp as other offerings BUT it is my go-to scope for almost any situation. Other little tidbits that could be improved are the zero stop system, March and the Razor II have that sorted out, and the illumination is a PIA to adjust and has only one setting. But this is still the power house of my fleet.

Just sold the SWFA 5-20 and it was a very good scope for the price, but I wanted to flip it for the second March. Really noting I did not like about it but some people complain about the illumination (center dot and some bleed over on higher settings) and stiff knobs but mine was not an issue.

Also had the Razor Gen I 5-20 and thought it was excellent, but flipped that for a second ATACR (I have no issues with SFP scopes) The Razor was a sold scope with very good glass and after a few months I didn't even notice how huge the turrets were. Kind of regret selling it but one day I will bump up to the Razor II that Rob and Ilya have sold me on.

Also had a Premier LT and really did like this scope a fair bit. You can find them for good prices but that lack some of the features of the full size line and I would just bump up to a tactical if I had the chance.

I have had a few others but in the lower price ranges, PST, Weaver etc. and all were good but if your looking to spend 2.5K no reason to skimp.

Sully