• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Opinion on ring design and strength?

problemchild

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
I bought these rings today for my 308 and the coming SS 5x20. When I got home I was looking at them and wondered if the hollow rings would be strong enough and are a good design.

Opinions?

7432984573ab18b46d2a083405ed92be.jpg

Re: Opinion on ring design and strength?

Nothing wrong with the design. I believe you have an American Defense mount there. They make an excellent mount that I would trust.

Thanks guys. Once I held them in my hands the hollowed out thin arms on the rings just did not look that strong.

I have two. They are plenty strong, that part of the ring sees minimal stress. Lifetime warranty anyway.

Lifetime warranty on the rings is good and well, but it won't cover a broken optic. I'm sure the ADM is a great mount and will serve most well. Keeps things lighter. Some personally want something a bit stronger. OP included.

Why not mount the ADM on your rail and find a broomstic? Or som3 kind of dowel that's big enough and twist and torque it around to test the mount to your satisfaction. I bet that will set your soul at ease. That, or cause you to purchase another mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lifetime warranty on the rings is good and well, but it won't cover a broken optic.</div></div>
This depends on the warranty. Some will cover damage to optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bizill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not mount the ADM on your rail and find a broomstic? Or som3 kind of dowel that's big enough and twist and torque it around to test the mount to your satisfaction. I bet that will set your soul at ease. That, or cause you to purchase another mount. </div></div>

Because this would not be a realistic test. The mount will stress a wooden dowel completely differently then a well machines scope tube. If the OP is not willing to trust the input of the those here with experience with this mount then there was not point in asking the question.

ADM makes a great product that is more then capable of securing a scope. Those gaps in the rings will not affect performance.

All I'm going to say is make sure you mount this properly. I've seen this exact same mount damage a scope from user install error. As long as you mount it correctly it should be fine though, they just are a little different than mounting traditional rings.

Agreed that wood vs aluminum is apples to oranges. Even so, i'd bet it would set the OP's mind at ease.

I ran a 34mm ADM mount with a USO on a 300WM,
zero problems with it....

Of the three I was looking at (bobro, LaRue and ADM) which would be the best choice for an MWS 308 semi-auto mono-rail rifle?

ee4772c8b2b427dfc00057f74fa73410.jpg

P1012055.JPG

7432984573ab18b46d2a083405ed92be.jpg

If it were me I'd probably get the ADM because it's the cheapest, I think 173$ at libertyoptics.

However a MWS being a monorail I think you could just use quick release rings.

I went with a set of low 30mm TPS rings on my POF 308 that also has the monolithic rail. I trust those rings for strength and return to zero, plus they offer a much lower cheek weld and you will save some coin to boot.