• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinion on which direction to take - rebarrel .223, buy new 6.5 Creedmoor, or build 6.5 off donor action

rcmigpilot

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2012
Louisiana
In need of the hide's opinion. I'm getting back into shooting after about 6 years off and want a bolt action rifle that's more precise, and better suited for longer ranges, than what I have. As of now I punch paper @ 100 and 200 yards and shoot steel out to 600, which is the longest distance readily available to me right now. I'm not a hard core shooter by any means. I don't hunt and don't want to shoot matches. I've got a 5.56 Mossberg MVP Predator that I could upgrade, or get something new, which if I do that I'll go to 6.5 Creedmoor as there are a few somewhat local ranges looking at opening up to 1,000+ yards. Whichever route I take the barreled action will go into an Oryx chassis. I've got other hobbies that need funds too so I need to keep the total cost of the barreled action and chassis under $900. I've been on the hide long enough to know that someone will chime in and say "well if you add a couple of hundred more to the $900 you can get x" or "if you sell the MVP and add that money to the $900 you could get y". I really don't want to do that as once you start down the "if you add a little more" rabbit hole where do you stop? I haven't had much luck selling used firearms and usually take a bath when I do sell, so I'd rather keep the MVP than get hosed just to bump the budget up. Also, to be clear, the $900 budget is for a barreled action and the Oryx only, I already have a Viper PST II and rings on the MVP, if I go another route all I need to buy is an appropriate scope base.

First option, and the easiest, is upgrade the MVP. It's one of the original 24" predator models from around 2012 with a 5.56 chamber and 1 in 9 twist. Columbia River is now offering MVP prefits that I can get in 223 Wylde with a 1 in 7 twist that will stabilize heavier bullets and give me a better chamber.

Second option would be to go new, and like I said previously, if I do that I'll move to 6.5 Creedmoor. I've looked a getting either a Howa 1500 barreled action from Brownells, or a complete Ruger American. Opinions on other models to consider are welcome (how come I think I'm going to regret that sentence).

Third and probably the cheapest out of pocket, would be to check pawn shops for a used rifle that could is either good in and of itself, or can be a donor action (most pawn shops have at least one 308 on hand) for a budget 6.5 build. The reason I mention pawn shops, as opposed to the exchange, is that I have a Savage 17HMR that I haven't had any luck selling and if I go to a pawn shop there's a chance I can trade it and get something out of it.

Last edited:
The howa, ruger or rem into an oryx or bravo and go.

You’re right, you won’t grt anything for the mossberg or savage so just keep them but don’t dump any money into them. Or just be happy with the mvp as is which is the cheapest and wear it out on the 600 line which is a fair challenge still for a 9 twist shooting 55 or 69 gr factory ammo.

I like my Ruger Americans. Yes, I’ve done a lot of upgrades to them as my budget allowed so they don’t look or feel very “Ruger American-eeee” anymore.

Dropping a Predator into the Oryx would run you $800, 22” barrel, threaded. 0.75” at the muzzle

Or you could get the new Hunter American 6.5 creedmoor...it has a heavier barrel than the Predator models, 0.85” at the muzzle, 20” barrel, threaded, and comes in the Magpul Hunter stock. It can be had for $600...which would leave some money for nice upgrades like an Anarchy Outdoors bolt handle and bolt knob.

Howa all the way!!! They have relatively inexpensive barreled actions via Brownells. Should keep you within budget if not just over by not a whole lot.

Good luck!

Reactions: BigRed308
Id vote Howa 1500 BA. $550 from brownells iirc. Bucket of American Gunner 6.5cm and you will be a happy camper.

I picked up a ruger american predator in 6 creedmore and dropped it in an oryx chassis, quite happy with it, and under your 900 smackers.

It does not matter what you do. If you go into this sport without the money/desire to buy a decent rifle, you will likely not spend sufficiently in other areas (ammo, glass etc) to ever have the success you want/need nor will you put the time in to stick with this long term. Enjoy your 18-24 months of claiming to be a long range shooter.

Reactions: Herstal 12
If your total budget for the build is $900 then you have no room for scope/mounts, bipod, ammo, etc, so you'll be limiting yourself from the start.

With that said if you start out with a solid build like the Howa 1500 in the Oryx chassis you can add/upgrade things as you need to.

If your total budget for the build is $900 then you have no room for scope/mounts, bipod, ammo, etc, so you'll be limiting yourself from the start.

With that said if you start out with a solid build like the Howa 1500 in the Oryx chassis you can add/upgrade things as you need to.

Need to clarify my original post, the $900 budget is for the barreled action and the Oryx only, I already have a Viper PST II and rings on the MVP, so if I go another route all I need to buy is a base, unless I go with a RAP then the base comes with the rifle.

I;m going to be the black sheep.

You dont mention what scope you have on the MVP or other available gun(s). I think the MVP is plenty capable to get to 600 yards. I would take the 900 and pick up a good used scope off the PX here and mount it up to the MVP and start ringing 600. If you dont handload then get a basic setup (also can be had in the PX at a good price) and learn. Once the 1000 yards opens at a local range then spring for something more capable. Youll just end up spending more to do the same job with a new rifle, a piece of glass is an investment for current and future rifles.

If you already have a good scope and reload then I'd hold onto the money until you have 1000yrds available to you. For just plinking on the 600yrd range all you will gain is a lighter wallet going different.

EDIT: we posted same time. You have a good scope, learn to reload for the MVP if you dont already. Money much better spent and will benefit you for any future 1000yrd rifle.

Based off your post you have some time. Be patient. You've got plenty of time to build your rifle before the 1k range gets put in. There are already some good suggestions here. Not sure where you are from but if you live in one of the freedom loving states that allows private sales at gun shows I would check there. There is always somebody carrying a rifle around with a for sale sign on it. Most of the time they are willing to deal. It may take a while but in the end I think you will get more bang for your buck that way. You may find just the right donor rifle or may even find a complete setup that meets your needs. Truth is once the 1k range is in it will be there for a long time. Get the most for your money and have fun. Good luck on your build!

If you are going to go thru the expense and effort to handload...which you will have to do if you want to be in serious, then wait and save some money and get a rifle that does not suck. Spend $1500 and pick up a used custom 700 off of the PX, built by a reputable smith. In doing so you will never have to chase your tail figuring out which of the myriad mossberg/savage/tikka/howa cost cutting measures are fucking things up. Sure you can “learn” with whatever you have...but decent gear will save you a fortune in the long run. With the market for used boltguns what it is you’d be a fool to save $600-700 for a lightly polished turd like you propose.

You're probably trying to be helpful, but you just come across as rude/obnoxious.

You're probably trying to be helpful, but you just come across as rude/obnoxious.

Not only did you beat me too it, you were more diplomatic, the word that came to my mind was dick. Guys like Scout77 are a big reason I lurk and don't post to forums much any more, and I'm not just referring to the hide, although the hide seams to be better than most. Scout reminds me of the guys on the Corvette forum that act like if my car isn't rolling on a $6000 set of Vossen Forged wheels wrapped with $2000 worth of Michelin Pilot Sports that my car is shit.

I very much appreciate the constructive feedback I've gotten from the rest of you. I don't get exposed to much in the way of precision rifles. Where I generally shoot the majority of shooters are either hunters that might shoot 50 rounds a year or they're the guys who buy a $400 AR and consider great shooting getting 20 out of 30 on a 12" target at 25 yards.

My main reason for wanting to either upgrade the MVP or move to something different is that I think I may have reached the limits of that particular rifle. I have a fairly customised 10/22 and I recently built an AR with emphasis toward accuracy and I shoot both much better than the MVP. Last range trip I was 10 for 10 on 12" steel at 400 yards with the AR and 0 for 10 with the MVP. Same ammo and same dope as they both have the same scope. I know they're not going to shoot exactly the same, but 10 to 0 is a bit hard to take. I already know that I'm a lot more comfortable shooting something with a more vertical grip and a higher cheek rest, hence the change to the Oryx from the hunting style stock that's on the MVP. A big concern is after spending the money for an Oryx for the MVP I find out it was the rifle and not the ergonomics. If that end up being the case I'll have wasted money that could have bought a lot of bullets.

I have considered getting back into reloading. I loaded my own back in the 80's when I was shooting pistol silhouette matches, so I know what a difference it can make, but back then I was using a friend's equipment and have never had my own. One issue with reloading is the logistics of how I work. I spend 28 days straight on a site 4 hrs from home then have 28 days in a row off. When I'm at work I get Sunday afternoons off, which is when I can go to the gun club with the 600 yard range. When I'm at home I only have easy access to the local sheriff's range and that's only 150 yards. If I use factory ammo I can order what I need on line or go to Academy, if I reloaded when I go to work I'd only have what I have loaded at that time, hauling reloading equipment around isn't an option.

After some research and based on recommendations here I think I'm going to look into a Ruger American Predator in 6.5. They can be had new for about what a new barrel for the MVP will cost, and I might even be able to find one locally and make a trade. After I get it I'm going to follow TxWelder35's advice and get a bucket of American Gunner and go shoot.

Not only did you beat me too it, you were more diplomatic, the word that came to my mind was dick. Guys like Scout77 are a big reason I lurk and don't post to forums much any more, and I'm not just referring to the hide, although the hide seams to be better than most. Scout reminds me of the guys on the Corvette forum that act like if my car isn't rolling on a $6000 set of Vossen Forged wheels wrapped with $2000 worth of Michelin Pilot Sports that my car is shit.

I very much appreciate the constructive feedback I've gotten from the rest of you. I don't get exposed to much in the way of precision rifles. Where I generally shoot the majority of shooters are either hunters that might shoot 50 rounds a year or they're the guys who buy a $400 AR and consider great shooting getting 20 out of 30 on a 12" target at 25 yards.

My main reason for wanting to either upgrade the MVP or move to something different is that I think I may have reached the limits of that particular rifle. I have a fairly customised 10/22 and I recently built an AR with emphasis toward accuracy and I shoot both much better than the MVP. Last range trip I was 10 for 10 on 12" steel at 400 yards with the AR and 0 for 10 with the MVP. Same ammo and same dope as they both have the same scope. I know they're not going to shoot exactly the same, but 10 to 0 is a bit hard to take. I already know that I'm a lot more comfortable shooting something with a more vertical grip and a higher cheek rest, hence the change to the Oryx from the hunting style stock that's on the MVP. A big concern is after spending the money for an Oryx for the MVP I find out it was the rifle and not the ergonomics. If that end up being the case I'll have wasted money that could have bought a lot of bullets.

I have considered getting back into reloading. I loaded my own back in the 80's when I was shooting pistol silhouette matches, so I know what a difference it can make, but back then I was using a friend's equipment and have never had my own. One issue with reloading is the logistics of how I work. I spend 28 days straight on a site 4 hrs from home then have 28 days in a row off. When I'm at work I get Sunday afternoons off, which is when I can go to the gun club with the 600 yard range. When I'm at home I only have easy access to the local sheriff's range and that's only 150 yards. If I use factory ammo I can order what I need on line or go to Academy, if I reloaded when I go to work I'd only have what I have loaded at that time, hauling reloading equipment around isn't an option.

After some research and based on recommendations here I think I'm going to look into a Ruger American Predator in 6.5. They can be had new for about what a new barrel for the MVP will cost, and I might even be able to find one locally and make a trade. After I get it I'm going to follow TxWelder35's advice and get a bucket of American Gunner and go shoot.

I think you’re making a good choice with the RAP 6.5....but I caution you against buying a used 6.5 creedmoor. It is a caliber that is hard on barrels, and unless you know the person who you would buy it from, and trust them completely with the “supposed” round count down the barrel, I’d shy away from that option. Buying new they are $400 or slightly more/less depending where you shop

I burnt my factory RAP 6.5 barrel out at 1,800 rounds. 700 of those were from the Hornady American Gunner 140gr BTHP ammo, which shot 1/2 MOA out of my rifle out to 700 yards(3.5” group center to center). From 700 yards I skipped out to 1,000 yards and for my first time ever shooting 1,000 yards I was averaging a 50% hit ratio. Not great, but for my first time, in 0 degree weather, and zero wind flags between me and my target, I was pleased.

After those 700 rounds I got into reloading, which was the final 1,100 rounds. My reloads were definitely “warm”, which maybe led to a slightly premature barrel burnout. The American Gunner ran 2630fps out of my rifle, and i ran my handloads of 140 eld-m at 2750fps.

It sounds to me like the 6.5 creed in the ruger american predator in the oryx or maybe the american hunter are just what youre looking for.

I like the mdt oryx a fair amount for my 223 american but 400 for the american rifle plus 400 for the oryx makes it 800. I got my oryx for 350 with a coupon through optics planet. I think 750 is a best case price.

The american hunter is 650, if you try the magpul hunter stock and like it then the american hunter rifle may be a better option, heavier barrel at least which I like.

If I were to have to chose between the oryx or a magpul for 100-150 less Im hard pressed to make that decision, probably the oryx just for the quick adjustable cheek and the fact that that 150 bucks is nothing in the grand scheme of what Ive wasted so "why stop now lol."
But I think I would rather have the heavier hunter model barreled action over the predator barreled action which brings the choice to a tie.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like the 6.5 creed in the ruger american predator in the oryx or maybe the american hunter are just what youre looking for.

I like the mdt oryx a fair amount for my 223 american but 400 for the american rifle plus 400 for the oryx makes it 800. I got my oryx for 350 with a coupon through optics planet. I think 750 is a best case price.

The american hunter is 650, if you try the magpul hunter stock and like it then the american hunter rifle may be a better option, heavier barrel at least which I like.

If I were to have to chose between the oryx or a magpul for 100-150 less Im hard pressed to make that decision, probably the oryx just for the quick adjustable cheek and the fact that that 150 bucks is nothing in the grand scheme of what Ive wasted so "why stop now lol."
But I think I would rather have the heavier hunter model barreled action over the predator barreled action which brings the choice to a tie.

Buy the Hunter model for 600...sell the Hunter stock for 200...and then buy the Oryx

Lol win win

Reactions: spife7980
IMG_20190823_160810.jpg

This is the RAP I was talking about earlier.
This is a 6cm but no biggy. I had my LGS get one in - 450. Oryx was 400 - I added the black skins - not needed. Then swapped out the scope base for a 20 moa - 40. Ares btr scope I had laying around. Is it an aiax, no. Is it fun to shoot, damm right.

Dick?...sure. Incorrect? Hardly. Enjoy buying ANOTHER rifle that will fail to ever do what you act like you want to do. It can join the Savage you cannot sell and the soon-to-be unsold Mossberg.
$900+$900 ( the money you already wasted on the two aforementioned turds)=A really decent used custom 700 off the px. This is in no way comparable to fancy wheels and tires on your penis enlarger. Your analogy falls as flat as your Ruger American will. Telling you to buy an AI or Tac-ops and you’d be correct. I am not suggesting that you buy a status symbol at the expense of performance.

Whatever, you will be able to check the “long range shooter” box.

Wow, you need a drink or to get laid or something to get rid of all that frustration. Why are you being such an ass, did I kick your dog or sleep with your girlfriend? Really not understanding where all this animosity comes from.

Reactions: Backcountryguy
I think you’re making a good choice with the RAP 6.5....but I caution you against buying a used 6.5 creedmoor. It is a caliber that is hard on barrels, and unless you know the person who you would buy it from, and trust them completely with the “supposed” round count down the barrel, I’d shy away from that option. Buying new they are $400 or slightly more/less depending where you shop

Understand the concern about the round count and the only way I'd consider a used one would be if it were cherry AND I could trade something so that I have little or no cash in the deal, or if it was dirt cheap. I'll probably go new, Grab a Gun has them for $359 plus $7.99 shipping. I spent the evening yesterday searching the internet and about the only negative things I could find were related to the factory, rotary mags, which I wont be using in the Oryx. Just about everyone that posted anything I saw raved about how it shot.

Reactions: Backcountryguy
My apologies for offering more advice than you wanted. I went ahead and deleted my insensitive suggestions so as to not create a painful reminder to one who seems to bruise easily. I am truly sorry and as a show of my sincere remorse, I offer a prophetic tribute to your long range career...
1566605347968.jpeg

Reactions: Herstal 12