• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinion Please Sako TRG 22 A1 vs AI AXSA

Arcadian

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2006
Arkansas
I have searched the forum and most pertinent post seem several years old and don't specifically pertain to these two rifles. I intend to purchase one of the two in 6.5 Creedmoor, the AXSA is about $3000 more. Please share your opinions if you have experience with both platforms. Is the AI worth that much more?

I owned a AXSA back in like 2016-2018 period and currently have a TRG22-a1 for the past month.

They are both excellent rifles but they do feel very different. High quality but different.

AXSA: the axsa/at/atx actions are very slick and lock up SOLID. The term bank vault is the best way to describe it. The QL barrel change is an excellent feature and I have 3 or 4 barrels for my AT I still own. The trigger you can adjust the shoe (flat shoe available also) and one screw fit the weight. Mine is set at 3lbs which gives a 1.5 and 1.5 2 stage pull. Very crisp and a really nice trigger. Never used the comp trigger but it's available. The chassis rear is very comfortable and adjustable, probably my favorite and the pistol grip was perfectly fine for use. The folder locks up both ways great. The stock folding nub receiver was a perfect thumb spot for shooting with the thumb on the side but there are side shelf pieces you can add now. The part I didn't like was the transition from the receiver part of the stock to the tube. That shelf for me sucked when working it off a bag and in positions other than probe/bench. Some do ok with it but it was never stable for me. Recently saw a guy run an AX chassis and removed that plastic handguard and said it dug into bags better but it's still a tippy spot for the gun and the "ledge" was right at my balance point so it never truely balanced. It only comes with the hex to do the barrel in a pinch but you should be torquring then back in so I'm my opinion it's really a "if you have to" kind of deal.

Trg A1: action has what feels like tighter tolerances and because of that doesn't immediately feel as slick as the AI. It is slick but it's a tighter fit and feels more like super smooth velvet when working the bolt vs slick glass of the AI. The bolt lift is also noticeably lighter, although the bolt lift of the AI never phased me in matches despite a lot of the shit you'll hear. The bolt handle design takes all of a few shots to adjust but it's very ergonomic. The trigger shoe you can adjust forward and back and twist it to fit your finger best. You can only adjust the weight and I currently have mine at like the AI but can get it down to 2lbs total with a 1lb and 1lb pull. It's very crisp but not quite as sharp as the AI in my opinion. Still fantastic either way. The rear of the chassis is easily adjustable like the AI but I find it slightly less comfortable than the AX rear... might need more time with the rifle but that's my 1 month assessment. I can still get it adjust well but it doesn't quite fit the same, might fit your bones better. The folder locks up great with no wiggle. The attachment of the chassis to the front tube is great. It doesn't have the shelf issue the AX does and settles great. Can't really say much more there it just works. The bolt is a tool to get access to the tool kit under the little hand guard. That little tool kit has I believe everything you need to do anything you want on the trg including trigger adjustments.

Accuracy wise is a wash, both are fantastic and with 175 fgmm are 1/2moa. Handloads on either are damn near a ragged hole.

My personal opinion is the AX is a prone bench gun and trg is a positional gun. If you want one to compare closer to the TRG for positional I'd look at the ATX or the new designation is the AT-XC I think? The ATX/xc will definitely be better for prs type matches.

Try both and let ergonomics decide what works better for you. I own a TRG 22 and a TRG 42. However, i dont own an AX, but an AW and an AWSM.

Ergonomics are far better for me with the TRGs. Accuracy is more or less the same.

These days i clearly favour the TRGs. Just for the ergonomics. You cant really go wrong with both.

Try both and let ergonomics decide what works better for you. I own a TRG 22 and a TRG 42. However, i dont own an AX, but an AW and an AWSM.

Ergonomics are far better for me with the TRGs. Accuracy is more or less the same.

These days i clearly favour the TRGs. Just for the ergonomics. You cant really go wrong with both.
I used to own a post-2014 AXSA with the upgraded stock and small firing pin. Among the reasons I sold it was it never really fit me, specifically in the grip. I own a TRG-22, though technically it’s for sale, and it fits me much better especially with regard to the grip shape and trigger distance.

Reactions: DKN83