• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinion: Which is the best looking bolt gun and why?

Hartman & Weiss
Wafen Jung
London Best guns made in Germany

Darcy Echols Mod 70 for American best

Reactions: rockdoc
No Jerry Fisher rifles yet? 🤔
ABBF7749-95EF-41D0-9CAA-5CB9FF1D81BB.jpeg
21BA4E88-5C5D-422D-926D-5F9BECF3E4A0.jpeg
21BA4E88-5C5D-422D-926D-5F9BECF3E4A0.jpeg

There is so many that could be put into different categories. Personally I love the HCR the Tikka A1 just about anything in a MDT, and plenty that I don’t actually know the name of lol.
Can’t forget the M95 and the K31 when it comes to the straight pull classics!

I like your taste... I own that very rifle!
DW
I've always been a fan, even though I'm from the A3 era... But never really thought about it too much & basically had the attitude of, 'Yeah I like the A1 but have no real need for one'... Until THIS stupid thread... Now the wheels are turning upstairs... Just what I freakin' need!

Reactions: deltawiskey
Personally I think their brake action rifles and drilling’s are the hottest, here are some British bolt guns

View attachment 7462162
Wow, the pic in my post got over 25 positive reactions (likes and such). I didn't expect that as these guns are a bit off the norm for the Hide but its very nice to see that others love the craft and art in best guns.

I love wood...not on a rifle....well, not most rifles but I would give a gonad for that pre-64 Model 70 Super Grade somebody owns and posted above.

I was a skeet shooter and general shotgunner for decades before my age and lousy lumbar convinced me to take up rifles which I have found to be a very fascinating, complex, and wide area of interest. And shotgunners are nuts about wood and that's where my love of wood, and in particular, in the wood hand rubbed oil finishes, come from.

As I mentioned in my first post, I LOVE alkanet root infused oil finishes with the root giving rise to that distinctive reddish tint and very dark figuring that just pops out.

Not a rifle (well, there is one) and in some cases its just the wood, but these are some pics of wood that I collected over years and used as examples with stock smiths and wood purveyors on the direction I like though I certainly am not in the income bracket for an English Best Gun (well, some are Italian and I can't afford them either LOL)...not even close haha. Hope they are mildly enjoyable.
13841_1.jpg
13841_2.jpg
419504_woodward_05s_kc.jpg
10040706.jpg
ayasle12dlx1y815.jpg
Boss12sidelevery456.jpg
fabe635.jpg
gun stock.jpg
Hot wood on rifle.jpg
IMG_2455.jpg
IMG_4107.jpg
nice stock.jpg

Last edited:
Kind of surprised no Sharps rifles have appeared in this thread yet. Here's a nice repro -

1877Pistol.jpg

Maybe it's a little too "quigley" for this crowd? ;)
Still, it's got beautiful wood, nice craftsmanship and it's made for long-range shooting.

Kind of surprised no Sharps rifles have appeared in this thread yet. Here's a nice repro -

1877Pistol.jpg

Still, it's got beautiful wood, nice craftsmanship and it's made for long-range shooting.
Op did ask about bolt guns. Don't think it fits under that. Manually operated rifles sure. Gorgeous rifle though.

Op did ask about bolt guns. Don't think it fits under that. Manually operated rifles sure. Gorgeous rifle though.
Well, that does explain why nobody else posted up a Sharps!
My bad. I was so dazzled by some of the other rifles shown that I completely forgot about that little detail.

Reactions: LeftyJason
I'm a sucker for anything with a McMillan stock and adjustable cheek piece. Ideally tan or FDE. Think of the M40A3 or A5 style. Here's my FN SPR - stock is at McMillan for a desert camo repaint :cool:
Not the prettiest, but it's rugged, accurate and comfortable to shoot. This guy shoots 3/4 MOA all day.

fn.PNG

Last edited:
View attachment 7462357

Pre ‘64 model 70 Super Grade

Why: the quintessential rifleman’s rifle and that’s what “Bob the Nailer” hunts with.
I adore that rifle and would LOVE to have one like it. Spectacular and looks to be in VERY high condition. Was it ever refinished or just kept that well?

Chambered in???

I'm weird, I like utilitarian:
R700 XCR LRT (The jeweling that is blued is beautiful)
M40A1
M24
Sako TRG
Smith and Corona produced 1903A3's. (The finish work on them is just beautiful for a military rifle.)
YMMV

1877Pistol.jpg

I was going to add one but you beat me to it

Since I am sitting at my desk stuffing down a really late breakfast at the shop this morning, I will play the picture game too.

Caveat: Like many builders, my main line of rifles will be biased toward my own tastes and ideas. That being said, I am a true whore and get moist over almost all the rifle pics already posted in this thread.

LongSwords for the Northwest.
20191018_210926.jpg

SENTINELs for the West Coast valley and high desert areas
4-15-2011 031a.jpg

LongSwords for East Coast
IMG-20130402-00418.jpg

Kinda surprised I haven't seen any maple yet. Deep blue and spalted maple go great together. Kind of a natural FDE and black.