• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Opinions appreciated on OCW test. 147gr/Peterson/H4350

Breacher

High drag…
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2012
Central Illinois
m.facebook.com
I picked up a new rifle and figured it would be a good time to switch over to Peterson brass from Hornady.

Rifle - Accuracy International AT 6.5 Creedmoor w/24” barrel.

Bullet - 147gr ELD
Powder - H4350
Case - New Peterson SRP
Primer - Rem 7 1/2 BR

All rounds were shot round robin style with a Labradar chronograph at 100 yards. One group only registered 2 of the 3 shots fires but is marked on the target. I kinda wished I would have loaded up some higher charges and I still may. How are you guys reading these targets node wise? Thanks for any assistance.
64FE6CAB-48C4-4BBE-B2FB-1280ED855845.jpeg
FF7BF3AF-7C83-4348-83C5-135C2D153DFD.jpeg

i would shoot 42.3g and see how it grouped if it grouped close to 41.7 and 42 id play with seating a little with the 42g load and be done.

Reactions: supercorndogs
Agreed.. Something around 42 +/- .1 maybe, should put you in the middle of a node. With my Tikka I ended up with 42.4 RE16/147 in Lapua brass. 42.3 and 42.5 shot nearly identical speed and groups. 42.7 went to shit..

OCW round #2
I do not have any chrono data for these unfortunately. Called flier on 42.4 load I’m thinking about try 42.3 or 42.4 with some OAL variations currently in 0.028 off the lands with a COAL of 2.880 in AI mags.

What do you guys think?
96AEE109-ADCA-4DD7-8685-F306C46B0F2C.jpeg

I would say get some velocities at 42.4 and verify that it was truly a flier. Read the numbers and if they are a below 10 on the SD, you are good to go. adjust seating depth to tighten up the groups if needed.

I'd reshoot 42.0-42.4 at .1 intervals 5-shots each at 200-300 yards on calm day (if possible). This will do several things: show better precision of average group size, better SD/ES accuracy, and show relative impact from group to group.

Shoot them all at the same level if possible (ie 4 pasters set on a flat line so you can see vertical shift between group centers.)

I think you will find that 42.1-42.2 is the sweet spot.
I am a bit surprised at the difference between 42 #1 and #2. But this is why 3 shot groups are next to useless. I try to shoot a minimum of 4 shots during load dev to weed out false positives and get SDs that are a bit more valid.

Reactions: Breacher
100 yards.

I’m out at the range all week for work so I’m going to try to get some 42.3gr loads with varying OAL over the chrono soon.

As was suggested by another post to this thread, I'd move the target out further. They all look to be about the same elevation. I'm not seeing the characteristics that would be an indicator of a decent node. Remember, finding an OCW node is trying to locate a range of charge weights that give nearly the same elevation/velocity, picking the charge weight in the middle and tinkering with other variables to tighten the groups and yielding a very forgiving load that will have a minimal change in POI while reducing the occurrence of fliers.

Given the info above, I'd go 42 and play with the seating depth. That was a good group with a single digit ES.

As was suggested by another post to this thread, I'd move the target out further. They all look to be about the same elevation. I'm not seeing the characteristics that would be an indicator of a decent node. Remember, finding an OCW node is trying to locate a range of charge weights that give nearly the same elevation/velocity, picking the charge weight in the middle and tinkering with other variables to tighten the groups and yielding a very forgiving load that will have a minimal change in POI while reducing the occurrence of fliers.
Agree, and add the bbl may speed up at 100 reds and throw this attempt off. Would fire form the remaining brass shooting steel for fun, then tune

Reactions: Breacher