• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

opinions on .308 brass?

Luky

19D20E9
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2012
San Diego, Kalifornia
With 308 Winchester brand brass being in such short supply I was wondering if anyone could recommend a similar "budget" alternative? I am seeing some Prvi Partizan new unfired brass listed at $0.45 ea. Are these any good? I will be loading for both a gas and a bolt .308 (I keep brass/loads separate). Rather not spend $0.60-$1.00 a case for Nosler/ Lapua/Hornady as I want to buy it in lots of 500 or 1k pcs to start processing it and doing an updated load development. Also considered buying 1000 or so LC primed/unfired brass for $300 that is often listed and sorting to hopefully at least 500 of one head stamp (sell off misc cases). Is this my best option? (Although I hate dealing with crimped primers).

I have been using Hornady .308 Match cases in my recently rebuild. Bought 300 from 3rd Generation, for $34 per box of 50 and a LGS has about 40 boxes at $39. It is very consistent brass as far as case weight and that's less than $1 per case.

Don't know about the PRVI stuff as too it's quality.
There is usually some 308 brass for sale in adds here.

with some google-fu you can find some Remington once fired from $35-$45/100. I have been able to get up to 24 loads on RP cases annealing every 8 loads.

Lake City brass for $20/100 cases. Needs a bit of prep work, but it's excellent brass.

I've also had good results from once fired LC. Yep, sometimes it is MG fired and a bear to FL size, and de-crimp the 1st time, but after that it's good for multiple reloads. I'm not a BR shooter, but use both a gas gun and bolt gun for tactical type of shooting. Nice thing about LC is that it is easily sorted by head stamp year. Since it is military brass, it is thicker and won't hold as much powder as most commercial brass.

There is a vendor on arfcom selling LC brass at $108 per 1k shipped. Hard to beat that.

Just got an email from Midsouth shooters supply .They have L/C pulled down brass already primed for a good price . Arnie

Just got an email from Midsouth shooters supply .They have L/C pulled down brass already primed for a good price . Arnie

Doesn't the primed pulldown stuff generally have the tar sealant still in the case mouth? And the primer pockets are crimped?

Doesn't the primed pull down stuff generally have the tar sealant still in the case mouth? And the primer pockets are crimped?

My biggest issue with LC brass is dealing with the PITA primer crimps. Can probably clean the tar out with chemicals and ultrasonic cleaner... I thought I read you could use Xylene/Benzene on a Qtip to wipe it out (can't get these chemicals in CA anymore though). I had been seeing some new unprimed/unfired LC brass listed (assumed it was not crimped yet) but don't see it anymore... Always wonder if this is the "rejected" stuff that did not fall into the proper weight range, case length, primer hole issues, or something else.

Acetone will dissolve the tar stuff . Xylene is good stuff but don't get it on your skin or later you will have a metallic taste in your mouth .I used to use it as a bore cleaner .

Talked to folks at Midway and they said that the Lapua 308 small primer brass works best for accuracy and I'll test it with 168 and 178 gr BT HP ballistic tips next week and report back.

My friend said he burns Varget powder and has had good fortune in 308.

i was getting hornady match once fired brass for a while at 30 dollars per 100. second batch of 200 i got had crimped primers

Doesn't the primed pulldown stuff generally have the tar sealant still in the case mouth? And the primer pockets are crimped?

Yes. The tar can be removed with xylene and a few Q-tips. Will need neck sizing as well. I just went through 500 cleaning, sizing and separating by year. The first 100 loaded "12" fell into two groups in weight. Each group of loaded cartridges were plus or minus 1 grain.

MR

Last edited: