• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

opinions on a 22 hornet

Re: opinions on a 22 hornet

I have an anschutz and like it very much

+1 get it you will enjoyit. I have a cheap H&R in 22 Hornet that shoots great!

I have a Cooper from early 90's -- it's a really accurate cartridge, good to 125 yds. in my opinion. 2650 fps or so. I use HSM ammo with really good results. Give it a whirl.

I like that little cartridge. When Ruger first came with their 77/Hornet, I bought one. It was a load of fun- kinda like shooting a souped-up .22LR.

The hornet is such a neat little cartridge. It has been a many a moon ago since I have shot one.
I know with a little patient load development and the right rifle they can be wickedly accurate.
I have also considered just building one, and that is another discussion . Action, Barrel twist and so on...

The Hornet is a really neat little cartridge and I have enjoyed my Hornets over the eyars although reloading it has been frustrating. I then found Lil' Gun powder and have been very happy since.

The cases are thin so handle them with care when reloading.

If you get the gun, get some Lil'Gun powder.

I've had a Hornet for years... shoots well and is fun. The only cavet mentioned above is the thin cases and propensity to crack after a couple loadings... especially if stout. I approximated factory loadings, velocity and pressures using 2400. 2400 was made originally for reloading the .22 Hornet... first used as the factory powder by Winchester in the 40's.

Good info on the round and it's history here.

I'll have to be the fly in the ointment here.

Just opinions here!

I've owned 22mag,17HMR,22H,17H-AI,218Bee,218B-AI.

I liked the 17 Hornet Ackley improved best and 22H worst.

IMO...Get a 22 mag or 223R.
wink.gif

Steve

Hornet rifles seem to either shoot great or not at all... ya either love 'em or hate 'em. The pack I used to run with had several guys that had rechambered their .22 Hornet to the .22 K-Hornet. The increased case capacity really made the little round a much better choice... and it's a very easy modification... if you have access to the reamer.

I've always been intrigued by this round. A cousin of mine had an Anschutz rifle in 22 Hornet that shot like a laser. However, I have no doubt there are better setups at better prices and more options to suit your specific needs.

Sir,
The best load I have ever seen for a Hornet is the Winchester factory load of 46 grain OP. It shoots .25 moa in both of my Mod 70 Win Hornets. At a chronographed 2850 FPS! I could never match it for velocity or accuracy. If I were to load for one now I would use a small PISTOL primer, which sets up less turblence in the case. I love the ctg.
RTH

I used to load one for a friend of mine a couple of yrs ago and I/he loved it. I would have to look but pretty sure I either put lil gun in it or h110 and. If you did your part you could get less than 1in groups but there is absolutely no kick whatsoever. He was using a ruger 22hornet with the stainless barrel and laminated stock. By chronograph, I could get 40gr nbt bullets to 2900. In my opinion this is much better than getting a 22mag. I would just barely size the neck and leave it at that. I only reloaded his cases a couple of times so I did not run into any split ones at that time. He only used it when he went to the lease and was trying to shoot foxes and small stuff. Once you buy the cases and they are cheap, you are in business. Havn't looked in quite awhile but I think they are only 20-23 bucks/100.

I load 223 and 22-250 with bluedot and 46gr win hp. Bugholes. Velocity is at 22 hornet velocities.

Buy a 223 or 22-250 and load it down. Do some research for load data and have some fun. Nice to squeeze the trigger on a heavy barrel and not have any recoil with the reduced loads.

We have a 22 Hornet resting behind the door. A true utility rifle, this one is the Remy 799. The thing shoots 35gr. V-max quite well. Chickenhawks, coyotes, and even the odd deer truely dislike this little rifle. I have a K-Hornet reamer just waiting for time and inspiration to strike at the same time. I believe the K mod will improve brass life as well as increase performance.

I really like the .22 Hornet, I've got the Ruger 77/22 and a 14" Contender in it as well. My uncle had many rifles in the Hornet and K-Hornet that I got to shoot before he died - Browning 1885 Low Wall, a couple Coopers, Winchesters etc. One favorite load in most of these rifles is 12.8 gr of AA1680 behind a 35 gr V-Max bullet. My Ruger will do 1/2" groups all day long at 100y with this load when loaded long, a little off the lands. One of these days I'd like to get a K-Hornet for myself and load for it - I already have the dies.

I'm a bit of a Hornet freek, and have 4 of them. A Winchester 43, an Anschutz 1700, a Ruger 77/22 and an little H&R single shot. The Winchester and Anschutz both shoot quite well, the Ruger so-so, and on any given day the little H&R will outshoot them all.
By the way, don't convert the Ruger to .22 K-Hornet, the K-Hornet cartridges will not feed thru the rotary magazine and you will have to rebarrel. Lesson learned!

Nice to see so many are enjoying the Hornet. Anyone shooting a Win mod 54 or 70 Hornet? Springfield 1922 conversion or hiwall? Those are the classics for this little cartridge. I bet there are some out there.

I had a CZ in 22 Hornet..loved it but didn't like trimming that thin tiny brass so I ackleyed it. Now 22 K Hornet. Never trim brass and can get a significant increase in velocity. I also load with 2 grains of pistol powder and thin Hornet bullets and shoot same as a standard velocity 22 rimfire. Great, Fun Cartridge!

Great thread!!

What would be the best rifle to convert to a 22 K Hornet Repeater?

I guess as per Dick's experiance the Ruger is out!

So I dug this out of the archives and was going to see if anyone could guide me in a direction with a powder to use. I have a Ruger 77/22 .22 hornet and I am limited to c.o.a.l. of "1.81 because of the magazine. Can anybody suggest a powder to put behind a 50gr vmax or nbt that will not be over compressed and still be a good 150 yrd round

Lil'gun, H110, 2400. All depending on your barrel length and velocity you are looking for.

Depends on the twist. I shoot 50 and 55's in my 1/14 regurlarly.

I have a savage 93 in .22 hornet and love the gun. The gun loves 12 grains H110 with a 35gr vmax. I think the ground hogs are dead before they hit the ground. The only problem I have with the gun is the headspace. I had a case head seperation on a 2nd loading of remington brass. I had the gun checked and they said the shoulder of the case had to blow out quite a ways to touch the chamber. I FL resized the case and I guess it worked the brass too much. i just neck size now and have had no problems since. I junk the brass after 3 loadings too, it's pretty thin by then. I have not had the barrel changed. It shoots so good now I don't want to touch it!

My brother who is way into varminting bought a Ruger 22 Horntet had the chamber reamed out into a 22 K Hornet. It not only increased the reloading life but he was able to get a bit more powder in it as well. He combined that with a 22 grain Vmax and can "dish rag" gofers all day long out to around 300 yards or so.

Micah

I don't think you can use the 50gr Vmax in the magazine. You'd have to seat it way way down. Try the 35gr Vmax and 296 powder. Also, use a small pistol primer. Those have always worked well for me instead of rifle primers.

I have used the 35 grain vmax and like the round but wanted to try out the 50 vmax, but I was worried about seating the bullet too deep that is why I was asking for any input. I will keep rolling with the 35 vmax and the 40 nbt with lil' gun. What is the benefit of using a pistol primer instead of the rifle for this cartridge?

I use small pistol primers as well. With that small amount of powder to ignite you don't need all the spark of a rifle primer and I have a few cases of SP's and working on my last case of SR.
If you load with a magnum pistol powder(H-110, etc) use a mag pistol primer.

Speaking of case life, I stopped crimping and started getting double the case life with no loss in accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: css</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lil'gun, H110, 2400. All depending on your barrel length and velocity you are looking for. </div></div>
I am not looking for blazing speeds just looking for a accurate round to put down some critters at 150 yds or so. My main point of concern is loading a 50 gr bullet and seating at 1.81 so it fits in the 77/22 magazine.

I have an Anschutz 1431 in 0.22 Hornet topped with Zeiss Diavary 1.5-6 it's 1 moa accurate at 100 meters and has almost no felt recoil I like the set trigger and since we are not allowed to reload here there is no problem with reloading the thin cases I had found some Hirtenberger ammunition with 45 grain soft point bullets and it really high quality stuff.
great little riflepleasure to shoot

1431.jpg

I have an old Savage 23D in 22 Hornet that was my fathers.
It is very accurate, just expensive to shoot. I was going to reload for it, but chickened out after seeing all of the problems reloading for it on different forums.

No problems reloading the Hornet, just use common sense. Don't try for highest velocity, that's not what it's for. A moderate charge of Lil Gun and 40gr or under bullets and you are set.

It's a great cartridge when used as designed, I routinely win 200m Varmint Silhouette matches with my 77/22H.

I shoot a Walther in 22 Hornet (and a TC Contender Barrel). A buddy from the PD has a Savage in this round, too, that he uses for woodchucks.

It's a wonderful, fun to load, great to shoot little varmint round.

A lot more snap than a rimfire. Accurate as heck at reasonable ranges. Great round. Don't hesitate to get one and enjoy it.

Cheers,

Sirhr

The Hornet is not hard to reload for. I shoot about 1,000 handloads a year in Hunter Pistol Silhouette.
I might loose 2-3 case a year while reloading. Usually on the 4-5th time reloading, I will start getting split cases maybe 1 out of 50.
Now when I was crimping I was getting a lot of split cases.

BTW, gol1, that is a sweet annie!!!!

I guess I will give it a try. Only cost will be dies and brass.
Is brass hard to get?????? The brass I do have has been reloaded several times many years ago.