• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on a $500.00 LPVO for AR

Triton225

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2019
What are some of you guys opinions on a good LPVO for a AR?
Thought about a FFP, but how off would a SFP be if zeroed on max, and everything inside 100 on low? Would it really be that much?

Keep your eyes open for a used Vortex Viper Gen 2 1-6x24.

Brand new, the Vortex Strike Eagle, Primary Arms, and Burris RT6 meet your budget requirement.

We got a delivery Friday of the Burris RT-6 1-6x24mm - Ballistic AR Illuminated

• Shorter than most 1-4x scopes for quicker, easier handling
  • The 6x zoom has true 1x setting for eyes open engagement.
  • Ballistic AR™ mil reticle with trajectory compensation out to 600 yards
Thanks Doug! I just ordered one. I forgot to ask if there was any "Hide" or "first responder" discount though. If there is, can you help me with that after the fact?

I have a 2-9x leupold firedot with duplex in an LT SPR mount if you’re interested.

Thought about a FFP, but how off would a SFP be if zeroed on max, and everything inside 100 on low? Would it really be that much?
Zero won't change. The drops and wind holds will only line up at max power for an SFP. That is the detriment of a SFP.

The benefit is a consistent sight picture for the illuminated portion when needed because the reticle never changes.

In a FFP in theses LPVO's the reticle may be so small at 1x that the illumination is absolutely necessary for it to even be usable.

Strong opinions on both sides. I'm in the SFP camp for 1-4x & 1-6x.

For roughly $500 I would recommend the Weaver Tactical 1-5X24 Illuminated or the Burris XTR II Rifle Scope - 1-5x24mm Illumimated. I found the Weaver for a friend for $465 and the Burris for roughly $450. I personally purchased the Burris XTR II Rifle Scope - 1-5x24mm Illumimated a while ago and really like it for the money.

Yes, the Nightforce 1-8x and the S&B 1-8x are better but they are also a lot more money.

Reactions: krumfola
Zero won't change. The drops and wind holds will only line up at max power for an SFP. That is the detriment of a SFP.

The benefit is a consistent sight picture for the illuminated portion when needed because the reticle never changes.

In a FFP in theses LPVO's the reticle may be so small at 1x that the illumination is absolutely necessary for it to even be usable.

Strong opinions on both sides. I'm in the SFP camp for 1-4x & 1-6x.

More than double the OP's budget, but an interesting concept.

FFP the reticle is very useable at 1x without illumination.

But it doesn't have aspirations to be target / benchrest scope.
It's setup to be a patrol / shooting on your feet quickly.

FFP is going to cost extra money to get a comparable optic to a SFP. FFP is also unnecessary below 8x. My first tactical LPVO was a Leupold Mark6 1-6x and while it was mounted on an LMT 308MWS that I used to punch steel out to 600yds and beyond, it was great to have as an FFP reticle. However, that was specific to the CMR-W reticle. I’ve used an SFP reticle at the same ranges with .223 and .308 rifles and they’re just as competent with regard to LPVO magnifications. For under $500, you’re really not going to find much for FFP scopes, and if you do, they’re not going to be good.

I will also say that while the Vortex StrikeEagle and Primary Arms ACSS scopes (they’re the same scope) offer a lot of value, I’ve seen more of those take a crap on the range than any other LPVOs. I don’t like them, and I don’t trust them. The optical quality is poor and they are trash quality. Engaging targets at distance is a chore with them in all but optimal conditions, and there are too many shortcomings for me to ever recommend them.

Steiner P4Xi is a great scope, but Steiner screwed themselves by jacking up the price to what it is now. You could get them under $500 on sale, but now they’re $200 more and quite frankly, over-priced.

Sig Tango4 1-4x is a solid deal and IMO the best sub-$500 LPVO on the market. It’s on par with the Steiner P4Xi in glass, durability and illumination, but sub-$500. I’ve personally used one out to 400yds and it was a solid optic that punched above its weight class.

Last edited:
I will also say that while the Vortex StrikeEagle and Primary Arms ACSS scopes (they’re the same scope)

I may be wrong, but I thought that the PA ACSS scopes had 24 mm tubes and the Vortex Strike Eagles had 30 mm tubes. Are you referring to the glass?

If you zero an optic at max magnification at 100, and you then take it town to minimum magnification, and the impacts are "off" at 100, then you have whats called a "piece of shit".

If you mean you zero at 100, regardless of magnification or FFP or SFP, when you aim at targets closer than 100 yards, you impacts will be lower because from 0 to 100 yards your bullet flight path is climbing from the muzzle to intersect your point of aim at 100 yards. So, whatever the difference from the middle of your bore to the middle of the scope tube is going to be the difference.

If your target is, say, 10 yards away and you're trying to hit the bridge of the nose, you'll need to put your reticle/dot in the middle of the forehead.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I will also say that while the Vortex StrikeEagle and Primary Arms ACSS scopes (they’re the same scope) offer a lot of value, I’ve seen more of those take a crap on the range than any other LPVOs. I don’t like them, and I don’t trust them. The optical quality is poor and they are trash quality. Engaging targets at distance is a chore with them in all but optimal conditions, and there are too many shortcomings for me to ever recommend them.

I'm assuming you are talking about their lower end SFP versions that are in the $400 ish range?
I've read other reviews saying the optical quality wasn't great.

I've got their higher end FFP version ($1300 range) and that one has excellent optical quality for the price range.

Sig Tango4 1-4x is a solid deal and IMO the best sub-$500 LPVO on the market. It’s on par with the Steiner P4Xi in glass, durability and illumination, but sub-$500. I’ve personally used one out to 400yds and it was a solid optic that punched above its weight class.

I'll have to check that one out, as I'm looking for something in the 1 pound range for another ultra light AR and not wanting to put a 2 pound + optic on it.

I have a Leupold Mark AR Mod1 with green FireDot SPR reticle. 1.5-4x20. SFP, and IMO its the bees knees. Quick reticle for up close, daylight bright green dot, and the P5 dial (a BDC dial) when zero'd at 100 had been reliably "on" IPSC size steel from 100 out to 500 with all my 55gr, 62gr loads as well as factory ammo

20200802_160216.jpg

Well here is my 2 cents. 99% of us will try to take care of our stuff because we bought it so the cheaper options like the vortex or PA will work great. I have had both and they never failed me. I have been to plenty of classes in which you could say they have been abused and they worked fine. I think that the normal joe has a misconception that cheaper optics suck. Some do but most don’t. If you have unlimited funds or are leo or mil then by all means get the toughest you can. For all the rest be realistic in your usage.

Reactions: krumfola
I'm assuming you are talking about their lower end SFP versions that are in the $400 ish range?
I've read other reviews saying the optical quality wasn't great.

I've got their higher end FFP version ($1300 range) and that one has excellent optical quality for the price range.

I'll have to check that one out, as I'm looking for something in the 1 pound range for another ultra light AR and not wanting to put a 2 pound + optic on it.
Yeah, the ACSS lower end version that’s the same scope as the Vortex StrikeChicken.
The higher end one is their Platinum model, and a good friend of mine has run one since it came out, and he said it’s a pretty decent scope. The Platinum is also made in Japan by Light Optical, whereas the ACSS and StrikeChicken are Chinese.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
The swfa line is nearly indestructible, probably as tough as a NF.

I just bought a used swfa 1-4 for $280 and a 1-6 for $700 shipped.

SWFA and NF is all I run.

Reactions: clcustom1911
I also just sold a strike eagle 1-8 that was bundled with a PSA upper I bought years ago.

The vortex strike eagle and primary arms are the same chinese scope.

I'd avoid them and go SWFA unless you can double or triple your budget.
The 1-6HD is a fine optic at any price.

More than double the OP's budget, but an interesting concept.

FFP the reticle is very useable at 1x without illumination.

But it doesn't have aspirations to be target / benchrest scope.
It's setup to be a patrol / shooting on your feet quickly.
I second this recommendation. I’ve had one since January I picked it up with a 12% off coupon.