• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on approach of a bolt .308 build

AF_TT

AT-X
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2010
JoCo KS
I am looking at the FN A1 SPR, FN TSR XP, or a Remington 700 and put it in a Mcmillan or AICS 1.5 stock or possibly a Savage.
What would be the better rifle in the long run? I have read peoples praises for one or the other and the only thing I can get hands on here is the Remington. So with the FN I would be taking a bit of a risk, I know they make great guns, but just want to make the right choice for a long haul gun not a build and sell or anything!
Thanks in advance for your time.

Re: Opinions on approach of a bolt .308 build

What are you looking to use the rifle for?

I would recommend a 7-08, or 243 over the 308 for LR stuff any day of the week.

Go with a Savage. Floating bolt, excellent accuracy and when you decide you'd like to change the caliber, you won't need to wait on a smith to do it.

Re: Opinions on approach of a bolt .308 build

Many have taken an SPS Varmint or SPS Tactical and put it in an AICS ustil they could get it rebarreled. The McMillan is just as easy, just a little wait to order one unless you can find one used.

Savage is offering the 10FP with an A-5. I just sent one back to have the Adj LOP and Cheek piece added for a customer. Great place to start. The only thing I would try to do is get behind a couple and see what stock you like. I love the AICS but there are those who don't or can't get use to them.

Good Luck,
JamieD