• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on best bolt for a 308 build, everything is Mega

Luke2236

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2013
But the trigger and stock, one of the new sub MOA barrels

Doesn't appear to be many choices out there so wondering if anyone has opinions outside the normal DPMS

Thanks

h

DPMS works for a lot of people and if you're on a budget it will get you into the game with minimum expense. I'll agree with BC83 though and recommend the JP Low Mass carrier and their new High Pressure bolt. It uses a specialized firing pin because the FPH in the bolt is much smaller. Couldn't go wrong with JP.

Regardless of which bolt you choose, use go/no go to determine proper headspace. I just picked up one of the JP/HP bolts for an existing 6.5 Creedmoor Criterion barrel and it yielded brass that was .004 longer at shoulder than existing Rainier bolt. Going to have Paul Craddock set up a new Bartlein barrel using this JP/HP bolt, so it will be headspaced properly, but you should consider checking before just running with it-per instructions. The JP did eliminate primer flow with smaller firing pin, and as with all things JP, is well executed.

I had a DPMS bolt that didn't headspace in the MEGA barrel. I used that as a good excuse for the JP bolt, which headspaced fine. That's what I'd recommend. Make sure if you go with the JP bolt, you ensure it has the enhanced extractor. My original JP came with the old extractor which didn't extract at all. The enhanced extractor works great.

I built the same rifle this spring, Mega Maten upper/lower, mega barrel. I ordered a Westfork BCG that never arrived and got a run around from them with nothing but excuses. I got a loaner DPMS BCG that worked fine. While I was shooting the DPMS, I ordered a Black Rain Ordnance BCG and I could never get it to work right. Another guy local to me built the same rifle, tried the same BRO BCG and had the same issues. Pin would hit primer but not fire most of the time. (I think there was a third guy too)
So I finally did what I should have done from the beginning and got the JP low mass BCG and it is awesome. I'm also running the JP silent capture and it's a great combo.

Westfork- you will never get it and the company will just keep telling you it's in plating for months

DPMS- works ok and is probably a good cheap option

BRO- looks like a bad current batch, not sure what the problem is?

JP low mass- awesome :cool:

Last edited: