• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

opinions on bottom metal / brands to look at

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
Okay, I've got a 700P .300WM and a 700P LTR .308- I'm going to need detachable mag bottom metal for both. Have not fully decided if I'm keeping one or both of the stocks yet, time will tell; however that shouldn't really matter:

I'm looking for opinions on bottom metal that will take the AI mags. I have considered a manners stock with chassis system, I have looked at CDI and Badger. I know there have to be more out there which run AI mags but a search mostly brings up CDI. SO let me help me out with some different makes to look at and thoughts on those makes.

Thanks!

Re: opinions on bottom metal / brands to look at

Badger here too. I've never been disappointed and any smith will have the inlet for it so they usually come out real nice.

Badger is nice, but I decided to try a new player. The SSG Echo DBM. It includes a feed ramp and ambi-mag release. It comes powder coated black and with one 10 rnd alpha mag.

These use the same inletting as the badger and cost a good bit less. Here is a pic on my rifle:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2550582&page=1

There is also a video on 308nate showing how easy this thing loads and unloads with him doing it blindfolded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg3eJdOyNI4

I don't know why, but I don't like the looks of that external mag-well on the SSG. It just erks me and I have no idea why.

The feed ramp does stick down a bit. It looks good on some rifles and maybe not as much on others, Im goona try it out and see how it goes. Kinda nice to have something different. I can say it does work really well.

Well, looks like Badger has some very strong support- some showing for Seekins and Surgeon as well.

Anyone else running something different?

well the only option or one of the few available for us savage guy is CDIPrecision

http://cdiprecisiongunworks.com/

and he makes bottom metal for a few different makes as well as for the 700. he is a memeber and sponsor here

and then there is hateCA. he makes a bottom for 700s too and is a member and sponsor here also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Axe, I think Hooper Ordinance makes one for the savage? </div></div>

hadnt heard about that or if i did it just didnt stick. nothing shows on the site for savage. he is a member and sponsor here too.

http://hooperordnance.com/page2.aspx

Seekins makes an excellent DBM. Badger and Surgeon are excellent as well. Those would be my three choices.

I have used Badger and Seekins. I own APA, Manners mini chassis and Surgeon, and have owned an AI chassis, they are all good and function perfect no issues.

BUT the best by far is Surgeon, and its due to some very minor attention to detail. Let's face it it's just some aluminum that hold a magazine in place, not rocket science.

You could truly pick, any I've mentioned and several others I've not, out of a bag and be happier that a dog at an ass sniff'n convention.

But Surgeon is just a little better

Seekins SA-AI is good stuff! Before that was available my fave was Badger with a R&D Tac latch.

Seekins' ambi AR-15 style button is a great setup, and especially so if you shoot a gasgun and a boltgun.

The R&D latch is good also if you are used to dropping mags with your index finger. That why I had it prior to Glen's.

+1 for CDI.

Nice stuff that works.

I have the Seekins AICS, which I got for the ambi AR style mag release. I like it a lot.
Had to put some loctite on the little screw that keeps tension on the mag catch, and it is possible to slide the button all the way through if you push too hard, but I don't think that will happen accidentally.

Hoopers low profile latch is the stuff. Comes with two different latches to suit your needs and works great. He also does stock inletting for $60 and it is very nice work.

I really like the Surgeon.

I went with a Surgeon, and am really happy with it. The opening is easy to find without looking at it, and I like the way they did the mag release.

Another that I had a chance to play with is the APA, and I like those guys. They do some really nice work and their design is very clean-looking while still easy to operate.

http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=45

I use Seekins and like the value vs price. I've also been looking at the Hoopers for my next project. Not sure if you can go wrong with anything listed in any of these responses.

+1 Surgeon. I also like the release and mag well a little better.

C

After using a few Badgers, that would be my recommendation. I have never had a minutes trouble out of them.

Ive been looking at buying the Seekins for both of my rifles for a while now. Glen makes some standup stuff, I have been very pleased with the rest of his products.

I really liked the button release vs the latch/lever, though I guess that would be more personal preference than anything

I used RadTac and love mine. He is a vendor on the site.

I've used PSS and Pierce SA DBMs. No complaints.