• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions on Bushnell xrs vs Athlon cronus

Cronus BTR is just wonderful. I know frank lost the reticle in one and they replaced it no questions asked. Mine is perfect and glass is awesome. Tracks great reticle is really good. 4.5 to 27 mag is nice.

I have had both. I ran a gen-1 XRS with H59 and then a Cronus for a full year of PRS. I now run a Cronus BTR. I have used the BTR version at 2 PRS matches now.
Glass is subjective and people will arguing til their blue in the face that their scope has the best glass in the world. I thought the XRS had good glass for it's price range. I also feel the Cronus has excellent glass for it's price range. There is no hard data or numbers or fact in those qualitative statements. Just opinion. The BTR is a great scope and gets the job done.

I like the illumination in the all Athlon scopes, it's the best I've seen in any optic. Bushnell didn't have this. I did not like the giant locking knobs on the XRS, though now that I've inadvertently rolled the windage knob at two different matches on the cronus scopes, I'm going to suggest, plead and beg Athlon to make a locking or capped windage knob on future models! I have lost a lot of match points because of this.

I love the new APRS reticle! It's thinner than the APLR1, the hash marks are easier to identify and it's all around cleaner. It worked great on mover and holdover stages at k&m last weekend.

I would choose Cronus BTR again. I sold my XRS. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Cronus BTR is just wonderful. I know frank lost the reticle in one and they replaced it no questions asked. Mine is perfect and glass is awesome. Tracks great reticle is really good. 4.5 to 27 mag is nice.

Was there a thread where he ever did a review? Knew he had one but never saw his review.

I'm guessing the glass in the older Bushnell HDMR or DMR is the same as the XRS??? If so to me the Cronus is two steps up in glass or just beneath S&B quality and comparable to March. Here's my subjective line up on scopes I've owned if that helps/ top to bottom, S&B, Cronus-March, Bushnell LRHS, NF NXS, RZ1, Bushnell HDMR, USO 3.2-17, in that order. In fairness the USO glass was a dud even after sending it back.

Thanks for all the info earthquake very helpful

No problem. I actually liked the xrs too, glass was fine, click feel on turrets we're good and I liked the H59. Nothing wrong optically or mechanically with it. Personally I just didn't like the tall locking turrets and the zs system.

Cronus BTR is just perfect for me. Other than a capped or locked windage, I can't see what another $1,000+ would get me. I have beat the shit out of my original cronus and it still tracks. It's now on a 16" truck gun in 6.5Creed.

The Cronus BTR has a little better glass than the Bushnell's, but Bushnell currently has the 25% rebate. So I went with the new Bushnell DMR II and I'm very happy with the scope for the price. The glass is better on the new Bushnell's compared to the older Elite DMR/HDMR, as they upgrade the coatings, added a zero stop, throw lever, lowered the elevation turret and added an option for illumination. Oh yeah, and the windage turret is locking! But they removed the locking turret for the elevation and put the same elevation turret and zero stop in as on the LRTS scopes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_EAo4Pij80

Last edited:
Bushnell currently has the 25% rebate. So I went with the new Bushnell DMR II and I'm very happy with the scope for the price. The glass is better on the new Bushnell's compared to the older Elite DMR/HDM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_EAo4Pij80

Questions:

1) Where do you get the 25% rebate?
2) I did not realize the new Bushnell was out. Last I heard, it was September-ish.
3) How do you rate Burris XRT-II to the new Bushnell series?

25% rebate ended June 6th, purchase had to be made before then. As to the original question, the Cronus is closer to nipping at the Razor Gen II and is a pretty decent step above the ERS/XRS. I've owned an ERS which i used extensively and it just isn't the same quality glass. Now the LRHS is very nice. Idk if the DMR II has the same glass as the LRHS. Of the two if you have to have one now, i say Cronus. If you can weight i'd get the XRS Gen II or a Razor Gen II.

Daylight bright illume on the Cronus (you don't realize how handy this is!), plus 29x on tap, superior reticles, 25Y close focus, fantastic glass. About two steps above my old HDMR and preferred over my LRHS in a few ways.

Every time I leveled the cross hairs on my Athlon Cronus BTR on a Montana Prairie Dog they blew up , regardless beings it was a hot day 400 yds out . Glass is so clear , dog looks so cool in that reticle .

25% rebate ended June 6th, purchase had to be made before then. As to the original question, the Cronus is closer to nipping at the Razor Gen II and is a pretty decent step above the ERS/XRS. I've owned an ERS which i used extensively and it just isn't the same quality glass. Now the LRHS is very nice. Idk if the DMR II has the same glass as the LRHS. Of the two if you have to have one now, i say Cronus. If you can weight i'd get the XRS Gen II or a Razor Gen II.

The new Bushnell DMRII has upgraded coatings and has a 34mm tube, so it's going to be better than the LRHS. The advantage of the LRHS is the weight savings that is more suited to hunters. The DMR II is nocking on the door of the alphas at a much lower price. Got mine for $950 with the 25% off rebate. The Burris XTR II is somewhere in between the Vortex PST II and the Bushnell DMR II. I would rate them as such PST II --> Burris XTR II --> Bushnell DMR II --> Cronus BTR --> Razor II

The new Bushnell DMRII has upgraded coatings and has a 34mm tube, so it's going to be better than the LRHS. The advantage of the LRHS is the weight savings that is more suited to hunters. The DMR II is nocking on the door of the alphas at a much lower price. Got mine for $950 with the 25% off rebate. The Burris XTR II is somewhere in between the Vortex PST II and the Bushnell DMR II. I would rate them as such PST II --> Burris XTR II --> Bushnell DMR II --> Cronus BTR --> Razor II

I've not seen much evidence to point to the DMRII being better than the LRHS/LRTS, actually quite the contrary on those who've used it. Granted i hope you're right as it should be considering it's cost. That said i suspect they're the same prescription throughout those three. I would've picked up a DMRII if i could've found one during the rebate.

I have had both. I ran a gen-1 XRS with H59 and then a Cronus for a full year of PRS. I now run a Cronus BTR. I have used the BTR version at 2 PRS matches now.
Glass is subjective and people will arguing til their blue in the face that their scope has the best glass in the world. I thought the XRS had good glass for it's price range. I also feel the Cronus has excellent glass for it's price range. There is no hard data or numbers or fact in those qualitative statements. Just opinion. The BTR is a great scope and gets the job done.

I like the illumination in the all Athlon scopes, it's the best I've seen in any optic. Bushnell didn't have this. I did not like the giant locking knobs on the XRS, though now that I've inadvertently rolled the windage knob at two different matches on the cronus scopes, I'm going to suggest, plead and beg Athlon to make a locking or capped windage knob on future models! I have lost a lot of match points because of this.

I love the new APRS reticle! It's thinner than the APLR1, the hash marks are easier to identify and it's all around cleaner. It worked great on mover and holdover stages at k&m last weekend.

I would choose Cronus BTR again. I sold my XRS. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Ok I guess for our next generation Ares BTR, we will have a capped windage knob. good idea! If anybody else really loves this idea of having a capped windage knob, please let me know here so we can make it happened for you guys quick.

I had a Bushnell DMR and Burris XTRII, I sold the burris, the glass on my Bushnell was/is better than the Burris I had and used for nearly a year. I just picked up a Cronus BTR and should be able to get to the range with it later this week.

Ok I guess for our next generation Ares BTR, we will have a capped windage knob. good idea! If anybody else really loves this idea of having a capped windage knob, please let me know here so we can make it happened for you guys quick.

I think a capped windage knob on the Cronus btr would be sweet!

No capped windage on Cronus please. Locking if u must but not necessary

So what's the verdict, will there be a capped windage option on the next Cronus along with the new floating dot reticle option? With the new XRS II coming out it's got me thinking, but I really like the specs of the Cronus if it truly lives up to what many are saying on the hide about its quality.

I have a cronus btr and bushnel dmr. The btr has far better glass, but i like the t lok turrets on wind and elevation. Both are good scopes with no issue so far tracking. The cronus btr reticle is the best i have used. .2 hash and a thin line has yet to let me down. It is a way better reticle than their older one.
​​
so really, just pick one and roll on. Dont think you will be disappointed either way.
​​​​​

Same here, 3 HDMR's which were very good scopes, none went back for warranty work. The only complaint I had is the image quality would degrade pretty bad at the utmost of travel. Glass was okay or good enough anyway.

My Cronus BTR is a really great scope all the way around. If I had to choose between any of the Bushnells or the Cronus I'd still pick the Cronus. Not because I'm a fan but because it has 29x on top, a fantastic tree reticle, 25Y focus, super good glass, 33 mils of travel and all the controls are just right. I'll put it this way, the Cronus impresses me every time I get behind it! I could never say that about those HDMR's, They were good but not great. Yes, I like the option of locking a turret so Bushnell wins there. In fact that was half the reason I bought them.

Another chime in for the Cronus BTR. Went from a Bushnell LRTSi 4-18 to the Cronus BTR. Thought the G3 reticle in the Bushnell got a little thick on max power....plus wanted a little more magnification. Cronus BTR reticle is nice and thin on 29x ....oh, and it's 29x!! Bushnell glass was very good, Cronus BTR glass is even better.

Attachments

• photo63710.jpg
    photo63710.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 39
I don't have experience with the Bushy but I have the Cronus BTR. Aside from some illumination issues, the scope is great. Like the others have already stated, for the price, you get good clear glass (subjective but the consensus is that it is well above average at this price point), a long focal range (4.5-29) with good travel and the reticle is very nice and perfect at higher mag., although a little too thin at lower mag.
Other than spending the same amount, or more, on a used Tier 1 scope, there probably isn't a scope that is as good for the money.

Did a tall test on my Cronus BTR up to 12 mils. Nailed the line every time. Was ratcheting the thing all over. Didn't shoot it every mil at a time. Went to 9 mil then shot 2 mil then 7 mil then 12 mil. Every time was dead on the line. Very very pleased. Then did it with hold overs and was on every line as well. What else is there to say.

I thoroughly enjoy my Cronus BTR now. Had a minor issue with the turrets when I got it, but Athlon was quick to fix it and now it's tits! Tracking is good, great reticle, plenty of elevation adjustment and huge magnification range, great glass that punches above its price point, and all backed by a warranty every bit as good as Vortex, and Athlons customer service is top notch! If I was in the market for another scope, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

I purchased a Cronus BTR and am very pleased with it.