• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Opinions on CFE from hodgdon

backyardsniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2011
pottsville, ky
I know this is a little off for this section but i needed some quick answers. My local gun store has a pretty big shipment of CFE on the shelf, they just got it in. I have about 30lb of varget but I thought bout getting some of this to try or just keep as a backup. Is anybody using this stuff, has anyone had descent results with it?

I'm just beginning to work up loads for my 223 Marlin X7VH, but so far the smallest groups for the 69g Match Kings have been with CFE - 0.47 MOA at 100 yards. AMAX 75 grainers shot as small as 0.68 MOA with CFE, but they may be at the edge of max weight for my 9" twist barrel. FWIW, the best Varget group with 69 SMKs was way over 1MOA, but it was with different primers and brass that had not been prepped as well as that used for the CFE load, so I'm not writing it off just yet. But CFE meters way smoother, being a (tiny) ball powder.

If I could find any in stock anywhere in the area I'd lay in a good supply of CFE. It meters like water, seems to shoot clean, and does the best with the bullets I have the most of. But my local store just laughs when I ask about ANY powder suitable for 223 - not available, no idea when it will be available, sorry. (They say it's better for customers to see 'em laugh than cry, but they really are crying 'cause they're out of stock on virtually all the stuff we want to buy.)

I've not shot CFE myself, but I hear good things about it from the guys on ARFCOM's reloader section.

Works fine for me behind a 55gr bullet. Prior to CFE I used Varget and TAC but CFE groups significantly better out of both of my ARs and meters very well out of my 550.

You wont like it, that is why you should have it all sent to me! I really like CFE, it meters incredibly well and burns clean. I personally believe that my AR runs cleaner on it, especially when suppressed.

CFE is doing great things with the 6.5 Grendel as well. Hornady's 9th Edition shows the fastest velocities with it for 123gr from an 18" barrel. One of the forum members on the 6.5 Grendel site has done a ton of load development with CFE, posting pages of pics of 10rd groups, brass, & chrono printouts. He's been able to push the 130gr Norma Golden Targets up to 2700fps with CFE from a 24" rack-grade J&T upper with button-rifled 1/9 pipe. Many of his 10rd groups are stupid small.

CFE seems to behave much like LeveRevolution for density and burn from what others have noticed, but I have yet to load both of those up yet and make any conclusions for myself. I have some ladder test batches loaded up with CFE that will go out this week, so hopefully I'll find some nice accuracy nodes.

CFE is doing great things with the 6.5 Grendel as well. Hornady's 9th Edition shows the fastest velocities with it for 123gr from an 18" barrel. One of the forum members on the 6.5 Grendel site has done a ton of load development with CFE, posting pages of pics of 10rd groups, brass, & chrono printouts. He's been able to push the 130gr Norma Golden Targets up to 2700fps with CFE from a 24" rack-grade J&T upper with button-rifled 1/9 pipe. Many of his 10rd groups are stupid small.

CFE seems to behave much like LeveRevolution for density and burn from what others have noticed, but I have yet to load both of those up yet and make any conclusions for myself. I have some ladder test batches loaded up with CFE that will go out this week, so hopefully I'll find some nice accuracy nodes.

With my 6.5 grendel I've touched 2800 out of a 20" polygonal rifled barrel and a 108 Scenar 1/2MOA. 33.4grns of CFE
My 308 also loves it when touched off behind a 168VLD at just about every charge weight 1/2MOA-1MOA

Burns pretty clean. Matter of fact. Send me a few pounds because I can't find it here! haha

Edit: The 6.5 load is HOT. Only use that load for reference.

My rem .308 1:10 twist is getting .5 moa with 175gr smk and 46.3gr of cfe223

After shooting a 4.7" group [MENTION=27617]600yd[/MENTION] last year thats all Im going to use in my 308, that and 2000MR. Accuracy, speed and the barrel stays clean.
r5lHOrD.jpg

IBOeg06.jpg

JGorski, nice looking rifles, man.

CFE = Copper Fouling Eraser ... originally formulated to clear copper fouling from some of the Army's newer rounds.

I have loaded some rounds for my 20"Ar set-up for coyote hunting. It was the most accurate of all the powder I tried using 55gr Nosler Balistic tip's.