• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on CMMG parts and rifles?

hewlett260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2011
California (Hell)
Was looking at their key mod handguard and the Mk3 rifles. Also barrels and LPKs. Opinions welcome good and bad, looking to start a new build soon.

CMMG makes quality products and stands behind them should you have any issues/concerns/etc. I have used several of their complete uppers and rifles over the years and all were 100% worry-free in terms of reliability and overall...a great value. I have also built out several lowers with their LPKs and assembled portions of other rifles, especially 9mm carbines, using their parts and never had so much as a single hiccup with any.

The only "cautionary" tale I can tell you is that they can be EXTRAORDINARILY slow in restocking and getting products shipped at times, so before you order something from them, make DAMN SURE it is actually in stock and ready to roll or your wait could be lengthy. For example, in the last year, with the craze that started after Sandy Hook, they got buried with orders/backorders/shipping nightmares/etc. and I believe that they are still working hard to overcome at least SOME of those issues to date (as are many others in the industry too of course).

I've got a CMMG 9mm SBR and have fingered one of their .308 AR's.
My 9mm works well enough but I'm not at all impressed with their shop-skills. Whoever tightened the castle nut on the buffer tube managed to bugger-up the wrench slots so bad that the metal was raised up a good 1/16". There was other stuff about it that pissed me off but I've rebuilt it since then and can't remember all the other detail things.
As for the .308, the one I saw had a bit of untrimmed metal flashing around the takedown pin hole and the anodizing didn't look all that even. As with my own rifle, not impressed with what they're turning out.
Doubt if I'll be buying another one of their's.

I have a used a number of their LPKs for builds and their mil-spec trigger was always been a little better than others (DPMS, etc.), the rest of the kit was good stuff as well.

I also have a complete Mk3 from them and the fit and finish is excellent. No issues with functionality or accuracy...I feel like got more than what I what I paid for.

I'm still waiting for the modified .22 mags. The gray ones didn't work with their bolt hold open actuator so they redesigned them, but man are they slow getting the new ones out.

I have a Spikes lower with a CMMG lower parts kits and Colt 6920 Upper. Has the best trigger pull of any Ar I have owned that did not have a match trigger.I would use the LPK again and be happy.

I used one of their LPKs, with their 2-stage trigger. No problems, trigger is unimpressive, better than most mil-spec but still pretty heavy and with a hint of creep, reset is distinct but it might be just a little long, I haven't decided yet.

I would classify them in the middle of the road category ~ nothing wrong with them but nothing special either.
The Match Trigger is a pretty good value but not a Geissele.

I just built out my first lower this weekend, and I used one of their LPK's. No complaints there. Everything fit into the hole it was designed for. The mil-spec trigger sucks, but then again, I'm a bit of a trigger snob. Just shot it yesterday and had no problems. Time will tell if the stuff lasts.

Here is a question, I can find the CMMG .308 BCG in stock for $250. Should I grab one or wait for the DPMS one to come back in stock at $212? Right now I have all the other parts for the build except for the receivers. Midway is expecting the DPMS BCG to be back in at the end of the year, but I'm leery in dealing with them, especially when it comes to backordered items, bad experience in the past, everyone else I normally buy from don't do backorders, or at least are not doing them for this.

Here is a question, I can find the CMMG .308 BCG in stock for $250. Should I grab one or wait for the DPMS one to come back in stock at $212? Right now I have all the other parts for the build except for the receivers. Midway is expecting the DPMS BCG to be back in at the end of the year, but I'm leery in dealing with them, especially when it comes to backordered items, bad experience in the past, everyone else I normally buy from don't do backorders, or at least are not doing them for this.

Midway's expected dates for items returning to in-stock status is a total @#$%ing joke. They are fairly arbitrary and often, if you watch an item over time, they'll keep getting pushed back and back, sometimes day-by-day and other times by leaps and bounds. I place ZERO faith in those dates.

That said...I don't see the CMMG carrier being vastly superior in terms of being worth a premium over the DPMS carrier and I certainly wouldn't be spending that premium at this point when you don't even have your receivers for this project in hand yet.

That is a great point, thank you for the swift response, I am eager as all hell to build this rifle, sucks that without the receivers all I can really do is dimple the barrel for the gas block if it needs it (at a friend's house along with all the other parts). I even considered buying the BCG stripped and putting it together myself as well but even some of those parts are out of stock, FML.

That is a great point, thank you for the swift response, I am eager as all hell to build this rifle, sucks that without the receivers all I can really do is dimple the barrel for the gas block if it needs it (at a friend's house along with all the other parts). I even considered buying the BCG stripped and putting it together myself as well but even some of those parts are out of stock, FML.

If you want to DIY it and you have the tools required for assembling it, then check with Fulton Armory ( Fulton Armory | FAR-308 "Titan" ). They generally have stock of all (or at least 90%+) of their bolt/carrier components, as well as complete BCGs for ~$240. All of their Titan parts are DPMS/LR-308 compatible and I have used them on builds for some time with good success. Again though...without your receivers in hand without which you will never have more than a box/bag-o-parts, I wouldn't be in any hurry or otherwise go getting the cart before the horse any more so than you already have with having all the other components for your build ready to go. Plenty of time to source exactly what you want/need for reasonable prices depending on the timeline for the arrival of your upper/lower receivers.

Good luck!