• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

opinions on CZ550 counter sniper & Magnum

robino

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
FL
interested in buying a bolt rifle and I was pretty close to getting a folding stock TRG22 Sako but my brother has one already (a non folding stock version) and wanted something different

i'm not much for waiting on a custom, so i'm looking for the next best thing. I know there's a lot out there but the CZ 550 counter sniper .308 rifle caught my eye, i have a thing for shorties that come can ready and that fits the profile pretty good

I also like the big brother cz550 Magnum - .300 win mag version with long 24 or 26" barrel i forget which it is

Does anyone here have either one? If so, are they worth the $2000 price tag? Are they a good outta the box rifle, is the trigger good enough is the action smooth enough, accurate enough? Not looking to win any contests but want to make sure I get my money's worth

Re: opinions on CZ550 counter sniper & Magnum

nobody has one of these huh...

I did some research on the countersniper a couple of years ago.

This is what I found out:
The CZ counter sniper is a CZ varmint kevlar with the barrel cut back to 16", a surefire muzzle break and a dbm.

The CS goes well over 2000, the varmint kevlar is 850 + 250 to have the barrel cut, threaded and muzzle break installed, total 1100.

looked into it

seems the varmint model doesn't share the same stock, nor the same barrel (much beefier on the counter sniper model), it doesn't share the bolt, nor is it alum bedded.

Add those, to cutting/threading and installing a Surefire break and I think it will easily surpass the $2K price of the sniper model

Apparently you have already made up your mind. You asked the question and you got a response you didn't like, but everyone seems to agree on.

Sit back and ask yourself one question "why are these rifles not popular with anybody but myself"?

What ever.
They both come in a Bell and carlson stock that is made specifically for them (not available to the public). They both share the aluminum bedding block (because it is the same stock, though one might be shorter).

What do you mean it doesn't share the bolt?
It is a CZ 550 action, the bolt is the same.

Also, the barrel is the same, whether you like it or not.

If you want one, buy it. They make a fine rifle and I am sure it will shoot very well. If it makes you happy, that is all you need.

But it is what it is.

A varmint kevlar with a short barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What ever.
They both come in a Bell and carlson stock that is made specifically for them (not available to the public). They both share the aluminum bedding block (because it is the same stock, though one might be shorter).
<span style="font-weight: bold">
<span style="text-decoration: underline">The UCS stock is shorter length of pull</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Bolt handle is different on the UCS</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Cut, threaded with Surefire brake</span></span>

If you want one, buy it. They make a fine rifle and I am sure it will shoot very well. If it makes you happy, that is all you need.

But it is what it is.

A varmint kevlar with a short barrel. </div></div>

Also, 10 rnd mag for the UCS - 4 rd. for the varmint

$119 for 10 rnd magazine
$150 to cut/thread barrel at local gunsmith - 2 week wait
$130 for Surefire brake
$120 to cut/modify stock/recoil pad for shorter LOP
$100 for oversize bolt handle

$869 cost of Kevlar Varmint model

Total $1500 roughly

so yes, you are right, it's cheaper to buy and do it yourself, just more time wasted and hoping the cut/threading is proper or as good as CZ factory

I've seen the rifle advertized for $2000 on gunsamerica and a couple other places

save a few more coins and get a TRG, no more wondering worries and you'll definetely get your money's worth.
cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What ever.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
<span style="text-decoration: underline">The UCS stock is shorter length of pull</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Bolt handle is different on the UCS</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Cut, threaded with Surefire brake</span></span>

But it is what it is.

A varmint kevlar with a short barrel. </div></div>

Also, 10 rnd mag for the UCS - 4 rd. for the varmint

$119 for 10 rnd magazine
$150 to cut/thread barrel at local gunsmith - 2 week wait
$130 for Surefire brake
$120 to cut/modify stock/recoil pad for shorter LOP
$100 for oversize bolt handle

$869 cost of Kevlar Varmint model

Total $1500 roughly

so yes, you are right, it's cheaper to buy and do it yourself, just more time wasted and hoping the cut/threading is proper or as good as CZ factory

I've seen the rifle advertized for $2000 on gunsamerica and a couple other places </div></div>

So, let's see. What you just did is validate everything that I said.
Making a stock shorter does not make it a different stock, it makes it shorter. (see you first reply to me)

Do you have freakishly short arms that require a much shorter length of pull? Most likely, this was done to accommodate for body armor.

Putting a different bolt knob on does not make it a different bolt. It makes it the same bolt with a different bolt knob. (again, see your first reply) Is there something wrong with the bolt knob that is on the varmint model?

Most thread jobs by a competent gunsmith are done better, more exacting than that done at the factory.

I will agree with the consensus that the CQ 550UCS is not really worth $2K.
However, I am confused what you are really looking for. Your original post mentions two very different rifles, a 16" 308 and then a 24/26" 300WM. What type of shooting are you going to be doing? Distances? Suppressor?

I already have a TRG42 in .300 win mag (well my brother does)
i'm looking for a TURN key rifle that i can take overseas, i can't wait for anything custom to get done...

which is why i was opposed to doing all the work to the Kevlar varmint.

I need a smallish 'bush' .308 for hunting in wooded areas overseas
I also want a long range .300 win mag, but not a TRG since it would be stupid to get the same rifle as my bro's.

Turn key rifle, again...leaving me with nothing to do to it.

The answer is simple.

Remington 20" threaded 5R mil-spec.

didn't see a 20" barrel
also, it needs to have a removable mag

Get a tikka t3 tactical:
- removable mag
- factory threading
- better action and (probably) more accurate then the CZ
- 20" barrel available
- adjustable length of pull with plastic spacers

Honestly for what you want thats your best option.

I have a buddy with the counter sniper, it is ok but it really is pretty much a varmit with a shorter stock and a few add-ons. But all and all it has been a ok rifle for his needs. For 2k I buy something that is not CZ. Unless you just have a hard on for it, which by your posts seems like you do. In the end it's your cash and piece of mind that matters not a web forum opinion.

i appreciate the web forum opinion, lots of knowledge here

but it needs to meet my criteria

turn key gun, nothing custom, no time for it
can't be a TRG

so that leaves you with a bunch of options, but I want something short and the only truly short .308's are the Ruger Gunsite which doesn't compare

What else has a short barrel comes factory ready for a can with goodies such as these AND with a removable mag?

and that shoots 1/2moa - 3/4moa

What would be wrong with a Remington 700 AAC? I think it meets all the criteria and you could take the money saved by not buying the CZ and when you get back off your trip dump it in the Remington.. The CZ will shoot I had a Varmint Kevlar in .308 and it was indeed a Hammer but just to quirky for my taste..

Check TAC-CORDS's ad in the Commercial Sales forum. They have FN-SPRs for $1200 to about $1600. These are not short barreled but they will thread for a suppressor before sending out the rifle. I have read questions about wether a chrome lined barrel can be successfully shortened. Call TAC-CORD and ask and get a timeline.

You will not regret getting an SPR and Mike did have a few in .300WSM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turn key rifle, again...leaving me with nothing to do to it. </div></div>

...this don't sound like the robino <span style="font-style: italic">I </span>know... <span style="font-weight: bold">.!.:D.!.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What would be wrong with a Remington 700 AAC? I think it meets all the criteria and you could take the money saved by not buying the CZ and when you get back off your trip dump it in the Remington.. The CZ will shoot I had a Varmint Kevlar in .308 and it was indeed a Hammer but just to quirky for my taste..</div></div>

saw one today...

what looked like 20" barrel, with a flash hider / brake on it...

not a single nudge.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
...this don't sound like the robino I know... .!.:D.!.</div></div>

Hapo,
I need one by the second week of Aug, that's barely a month away, no time to play around with one, which is why I want to get something nice right out the box

the more i look the more I see nothing like the CZ 550 urban counter sniper offered for sale that has everything already done to it

http://kitup.military.com/2011/09/cz-550-urban-sniper-rifle-review.html

The video (You Tube Channel) gives a quick look the rifle up close. The CZ is a great utility gun but like I said earlier, not something I’d have in my personal collection. The action was a bit sloppy which created some feeding issues from the internal magazine. Don’t get me wrong this was a fun rifle to shoot and would make a lot of people very happy.
Brandon Out….

Read more: http://kitup.military.com/2011/09/cz-550-urban-sniper-rifle-review.html#ixzz2046fcCnN
Kit Up!

The CZ 550 Urban Sniper is listed at $2200+, but I have seen some $1600-$1800 from online dealers when I was searching for 10rd mags for my 550 varmint.

I don't know how well the 16'' barrel shoot, but my 26'' 308win did very well. I don't have a savage or remington in 308 to compare with, but I have a Rem 700 in 223, Sako 75 in 223 and 308. Compare to these actions, cz550 is not the best, but to me,it's the strongest or most robust.

Review posted by OutRider does not like the "sloppy" action, and I agree the action is not that smooth compare to sako, and R700, but I don't see feeding problem.

I totall agree fdkay 's replay. CZ 550 is a very good rifle, you can't go wrong, but the $2000+ Urban Sniper is not worth the $$$.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did some research on the countersniper a couple of years ago.

This is what I found out:
The CZ counter sniper is a CZ varmint kevlar with the barrel cut back to 16", a surefire muzzle break and a dbm.

The CS goes well over 2000, the varmint kevlar is 850 + 250 to have the barrel cut, threaded and muzzle break installed, total 1100.</div></div>

Check out the Steyr SSG 04. 10 round mag. 20 inch barrel. Threaded with a brake. Light weight. Very accurate. I had one a couple years ago that shot as well as some of my GAP's with 175 grain FGMM.