• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on GAP vs DTA

nortac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2009
Texas
I am looking at a new build or new purchase. I cut down my custom 308 to 16.5" for suppressor use so I plan on building another one. I also have a beautiful older Remington 700 7mag I was going to have built into a 300 mag.

Here is my question. I was considering going the GAP route and then wait till next year to do the second gun or what are your thoughts on just going with a DTA Chassis and a 308/300 conversion kit? Both should be highly dependable and highly accurate but just curious about the switch barrel compared to two separate rifles built by GAP and the cost?

Re: Opinions on GAP vs DTA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutlawTen5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a bolt rifle from GA Precision and wait on the other. </div></div>

I guess I should have asked reason why for your opinion. I understand the durability and accuracy of a GAP gun. I guess I am trying to decided if using one platform for both rifled barrels would still provide the same level of durability and accuracy while providing a better overall value compared to two GAP built rifles.

Keep in mind, you only need 1 scope with the DTA. I've been contemplating the same decision. I already have one nice scope, and to be able to use that scope on three or four different conversions on a DTA makes the DTA an attractive choice.

The price of a DTA is more than the cost of a custom obviously, but if you add the cost of a new scope to the custom the price is pretty close.

Or a DTA + one scope + different caliber conversion kit will set you back in the neighborhood of what 2 GAPs + 2 scopes will cost. Lots of ways you could go at this. Partly will depend on what type of shooting you plan on doing most. Neither of the two possibilities you mentioned will make you sorry, IMO. But either way, it's a lot of pistoles.

My suggestion...find a DTA and get behind it. Some people like it, some people don't. It can be a expensive lesson to find out you don't.

I would PM TucsonDave, he's has lots of experience with DTA and can help answer your question.

I had a DTA and couldnt warm up to it,sold it here. my suggestion is find one and shoot it first before you buy

Find someone who has a DTA before you buy one to try it out. I bough one to try it and didn't like it at all, that said many guys love them. They are a purpose built rifle but for what I use my rifles for I didn't have much use for it, nor could I get use to the ergonomics.

Thanks for all the information. I have not personally handled a DTA so it would seem pertinent to do so after reading every ones opinion about it.

Thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or a DTA + one scope + different caliber conversion kit will set you back in the neighborhood of what 2 GAPs + 2 scopes will cost. Lots of ways you could go at this. Partly will depend on what type of shooting you plan on doing most. Neither of the two possibilities you mentioned will make you sorry, IMO. But either way, it's a lot of pistoles. </div></div>
Numbers game is one thing (how many bucks in total, how many scopes, etc), and it has its place - no argument.

I find attractive the ability to deal with and get used to one trigger, one stock, one scope, one weight (roughly), one balance (carrying and maneuvering) in one go-to rifle... For me it did not eliminate all the other weird rifles to have fun with (like SVD that I thought I'd sell
smile.gif
) - but this is my go-to one because (to me) it feels the most convenient. <span style="font-style: italic">And yes it's a <span style="text-decoration: underline">lot</span> of pistoles. I still haven't paid mine off!
mad.gif
</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My suggestion...find a DTA and get behind it. Some people like it, some people don't. It can be a expensive lesson to find out you don't.</div></div>
Totally agree. I loved DTA from the first sight.
grin.gif
Its design fits me perfectly, unlike AICS that I can deal with once we're both on the ground - but feels (to me) like a major pain when I need to move it anywhere.

Other people tend to either love or hate DTA design - so it would make sense for you to try it first, as many here suggested.

I have seen quite a few DTAs locally have issues (non working extractor) right out of the box. And having shot a couple, it's not that comfortable for me. If I was getting a multi caliber changable in the field capable rifle, the Barrett MRAD looks like to be a great contender to the DTA.

Baccarat,
To address the extractor issue we had a batch of bad extractors slip through quality control and the employee that approved them for shipment was fired for approving them when he knew they were bad. We have replaced any of the extractors that we could find so if anyone out there is having extraction issues call us and we will fix them.

I don't see how this is a comparison at all. I'm not knocking the DTA platform in the least but it's not the same as a custom bolt rifle.
The DTA is a specialized platform made for certain circumstances, as is the GAP. If your circumstances favors one platform over the other than go with that platform.

Don't try to compare apples to oranges though and say they're both fruit.

I wasn't trying to compare them for what they are. I was really asking for others opinions based on what each offered in multiple calibers and cost associated with having multiple calibers. As two or three GAP rifles and two or three scopes or one DTA chassis with two or three barrels and one scope.

At this point I have decided on the DTA route as I think it meets my needs better based on overall size and adaptability to change calibers.

I have shot both.

The DTA looks cool....IMO that is about it. I did not like anything else about it. The fit and working the bolt was horrible IMO.

If You want to rigs and money is a concern do this

Purchase a Surgeon Long Action. With 2 bolts
Run a switch barrel/switch bolt if you want a 308/300win mag

switch barrel rifles are EASY. I love mine

If you want a 300 win mag just to have a flatter shooting cartridge compare to a 308. I'd go 308/260. The 260 won't have the energy but will shoot neck in neck with a 300 Win Mag and burn way less powder with cheape bullets. Also if you want DBM. The shor action DBM is way more appealing to me

as stated above would be my suggestion as well. if you are looking for a switch barrel platform, a custom build on a surgeon long action will get what you are looking for and have plenty of sheckels left for some ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see how this is a comparison at all. I'm not knocking the DTA platform in the least but it's not the same as a custom bolt rifle.</div></div>
In what sense? What does it not do that a custom bold rifle does (or what does it do worse)? Not picking an argument - just want to understand your point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The DTA is a specialized platform made for certain circumstances, as is the GAP. If your circumstances favors one platform over the other than go with that platform.</div></div>
A specialized platform is usually geared for a particular set of applications and sacrifices something to gain something else. Would appreciate if you could illustrate your point by providing specifics - what are the sacrifices here vs what gains?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't try to compare apples to oranges though and say they're both fruit.</div></div>
grin.gif
This can be extended to comparing any two rifles (from different manufacturers
smile.gif
), as any two rifles would obviously be different.

First, as I pointed out, this is not a "better than" post.

Custom bolt rifle. Custom action, caliber, barrel length, etc. That is the difference. If I call up GAP, my rifle is built to my exact detail. DTA sends me a rifle in one of only 4 calibers (although three more are on their way) Also, can't shoot the DTA left handed.

One of DTAs big selling points is that it's a switch barrel system. But do I need a switch barrel system? Also, it's a bullpup type system. I don't care for a bullpup system and you can't shoot it LH very well, especially compared to a "universal" stock. If I'm runnin' and gunnin' and need a smaller unit, or need to switch calibers on the fly all the time, the DTA is the way to go. Neither one of these circumstances befall me.

Finally, you can't just "compare rifles". If GAP built me a rifle and Terry Cross built me a rifle (obviously with the same components), those rifles will not be apples to oranges, they will be nearly interchangeable. So you can't say my analogy applies to all.