• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on new Savage?

JTyson

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2010
Need a cost-effective .308 thats good for up to 800 yds. Just wondering about these Savage models - 10 BAS, FCP with the accutrigger, is this junk or worth looking into. My daughter wants one and I want to know she's serious before I drop some major coin on a weapon and optics.

Re: Opinions on new Savage?

Savage makes a good rifle and the accutrigger is excellent. You can use the Savage trigger and action for a custom build if you want to tailor it to her later.

I have owned several different rifles from various manufacturers. I can say without a doubt that my Savage is by far the most accurate rifle out of the box that I have ever shot in my life... over and above my Remingtons and FNs.

I had less money tied up in my complete setup than I had in just my FN-SPRa1 alone. The Savages are well worth the price!!

DK

From the way it sounds, your daughter deserves a custom action, custom shilen,kreiger,bartlein,hart or similar barrel ,aics stock ,and US Optics scope. C'mon man, she is your daughter. Get her the best. Don't buy one of the junk savages. After all, she is your daughter.

I my opinion........best bang for the buck, bar none.
Extremely accurate and easily worked on. I know most on here prefer the Remington line.......I'll take the "ugly" Savage any day!

Pop

I have a Savage 10FP in a 20" barrel and in the factory polymer stock (yuk!). Holds moa at 100 yards with a copy of a Leupold Mark 4...so imagine what it should be capable of with good glass.

I wouldn't ever claim my Savage to be competitive with my Duren Rem 700, but for the money the Savage products are quite nice to consider.

One of the features I point out to folks on the fence about Savage is the 3 position safety switch. 1 pos for full safe, 1 pos for safe while allowing the bolt to be removed/unloaded, and 1 pos for fire. Once it's demonstrated it usually gets folks attention.

10fp here and I'm happy with it, 1MOA at 100-1000Yds... (leupy Mark4, Atlas bipod)

Am looking at a plug and play stock (McMillan) and I'll be good to go.

A good value.

few

i love my savage shoots better than my friends rem 700 sp and my rifle has 2K-3K rounds through it and the rem only has about 3-4 hundred

I was in the market for a savage 10 fp with the Mcmillan stock. I ran across a used remy sps varmint for a pretty good price and bought it. It has taken a fair amount of load workup but I'm pretty happy with it.

I have had a few savages over the years and still own a stevens now. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a savage as I've usually found them to be more accurate out of the box, not always but enough more so to always look for one of them first. However I still love my Remingtons also, it just seems to take more work (money) to get to shoot as well, again not always.

As others have said I think it is the best bang for the buck out of the box.

JH

I forgot to mention, watch out for packages including a Simmons scope. The included Simmons scope will give out in a big hurry and the rifles don't seem to be more than Wally World quality, they're literally the bottom of the food-chain as far as Savage goes.

Savage has MUCH better products available. Explore their site and see. The BAT is simply SICK!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fewenuff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10fp here and I'm happy with it, 1MOA at 100-1000Yds... (leupy Mark4, Atlas bipod)

Am looking at a plug and play stock (McMillan) and I'll be good to go.

A good value.

few </div></div>

they do come in the A5 with bdm from the factory. you may try Jim at northland as he has takeoff stocks and may have the p-n-p stock that you want the 10fcp-mcm i think. plus alot of guy are showing up with them in the new choate tactical stock. havent seen that on the site but its out there.

to the op, if you want to start with an action and go that way, call northland http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/board,64.0.html
and see if he can get you something or steer you in the right direction

Get her a Savage. The accutrigger and floating bolt head design is great. If she really gets into it then you can easily rebarrel it and shoot against rifles twice the cost.

+1 on the Savage! The factory stock is horrible (imho) but there are a bunch of people making aftermarket stocks. Or you can get it with a HS or McMil from the factory.

hey, the accu-stock tag is -k it seems. look on their site, but im pretty sure. no aftermarket accustocks yet so if you want to restock skip the extra expense. you can get 9 round mags from SSS? if you get the factory DBM, youll have a nice shooter

Thanks guys, I'm weighing out options. I appreciate the info. I took a peek at what she is looking at (98 Bravo) It appears we may have to find some middle ground hehehe. I was gonna put some decent glass on it so I can transfer that later if needed

Update: Sav 10FP - 187 8X 4 groups of 5, Factory Ammo (Blackhills 175 BTHP ) at 1000 yds (windy as poop, +full value left to right and clocking)

SHAZAM! (LUCK, middle of the pack at the comp) Nothing to really brag about but my girl thought it was cool.
crazy.gif

Two 5 round groups on a horizontal string lower left quadrant in the X ring. That's at or a little less than 1/2 MOA at 1 thouSAND EUVHL yds! Though only the second one counted, the first was an on paper trial...DAMN ME!

cry.gif