• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on quick load

Mohawk3a

Supporter
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2010
California
Can anyone tell me if quick load is worth the money? I'm really into reloading, but don't want to wadt money. Thanks

Re: Opinions on quick load

I recently took the plunge and wish I would have done it sooner. It would have saved me $$$ on powder because at the very least you can get a ballpark idea with bullet/powder combinations in any caliber you want. No more guessing "which powder will get me the most velocity in xxxx caliber with xxxx bullet and xxx barrel length". It seems to be incredibly accurate too (at least with most powders) as many of my loads are only a few fps different with what QL predicts. It may not be accurate with everything, such as RL17. I guess it is still too new and QL is all over the place with it.

Great tool but not a substitute for real world testing. I have it and like it.

Not complicated but there is a ton of information that comes with the disc.

Definately worth the $ you will spend. Very helpful to use when you do your own reloading.

I still am learning how to use the program effectly.

Definitely worth the money. It has always gotten it to come within a couple of feet of actual real world readings for me. But you have to remember garbage in, garbage out.

Yes, QL is worth the money if you need it for multiple calibers or need to research some wildcat stuff. If you only have 1 caliber, then I don't think it would benefit. But I use it all the time, and it is fairly accurate. It will let you put in certain variables you can test and get feedback without pulling a trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that i have been using it, i can't imagine not having it. Fantastic! </div></div>

Kind of like a microwave.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that i have been using it, i can't imagine not having it. Fantastic! </div></div>

Kind of like a microwave.</div></div>
Bought it with the group buy and have used it a lot. The more I use it the more you realize how much small things can make a large difference. It can do some pretty advanced stuff and a good read through the manual is a good idea, or at least a thorough scan.

One thing that is a must check for QL is the case capacity. I would read online how to to a case capacity check to right way. This will matter when your looking at getting as close as possible the that will be produced in the real world. I have found the program very useful and pretty DARN! close
smile.gif

just my 2 cents.

it is a good tool to understand pressure relationships between powders for a given cartridge and bullet. I have found the velocities to often be incorrect, and QL predicted "over pressure" loads to be safe and give good brass life. ound the oppposite of this as well...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bugholes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is a good tool to understand pressure relationships between powders for a given cartridge and bullet. I have found the velocities to often be incorrect, and QL predicted "over pressure" loads to be safe and give good brass life. ound the oppposite of this as well... </div></div>

That's what make QL so powerful. You have the ability to adjust the burn factor to reflect the velocities that you are actually getting from a particular load on a particular day. Even small differences from lot to lot can be tweaked.

I showed my cousin how I fiddle with QL to get the velocity to match the feed back from the chrono and match the pressure of the threshold of short brass life, so I can use those corrections next time to start out closer to the final recipe.

He says it is analogous to how he fiddles with his beer brewing software to get closer next time.

Quickload saves me time in load development, and any difference between a QL prediction and reality is an opportunity to learn how to save even more time the next time.

I have a lot # of surplus bulk IMR4895 that works just like the QL library settings for H322 in velocity, pressure, and density.