• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on some Berger 308 bullets i bought

Punkur67

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2019
    A local reloading shop had a bunch of berger bullets in bulk that they got in an estate sale. I had a friend pick them up for me and when I started to look close at them it t looks like there are a bunch of jacket flaws. Most have what looks like a seam in varying severity. And some look like the jacket has a twisted seam at the tip. It looks like the shop acquired a bunch of blems. I don't want to run them through my bolt gun for longer ranges so I would probably just run them in my AR10. My question is should I be concerned about jacket separation issues?
    20200917_202723.jpg
    20200917_202510.jpg
    20200917_202450.jpg

20200917_204506.jpg

Last edited:
    Whats a supressor? Us California kids don't get any cool shit like that

Maybe a bad batch.
    There are definitely 2 distinct patterns. Either the vertical mark that looks like a gouge or the tip being coiled up. I am guessing the original owner purchased blems from Berger. Maybe they had bad runs that were not fit for sale and sold them direct to someone who worked there?

Maybe a picture and ask berger tech support online for guidance.

Dont think they would of let anything dangerous to your gun out even as a blem.

Berger tech support was awsome when I called recently for advise, far beyond what I expected.

Reactions: abn31c
    Doubtful Berger, or any other reputable manufacturer would even let those out the door.... Probably an inside deal and the deceased just did not know what to do with them. I would not waste my time with reloading them...

Hobo

Reactions: Ravenworks
    Maybe a picture and ask berger tech support online for guidance.

Dont think they would of let anything dangerous to your gun out even as a blem.

Berger tech support was awsome when I called recently for advise, far beyond what I expected.
    I sent them an email this morning

Reactions: Snuby642
    Direct from Berger
    " What you are seeing are FOLDS in the jacket. DO NOT SHOOT BULLETS WITH THIS CONDITION. Sort out bullets in this condition. "

• Wow
    Well, strait talk from a respected company. Got to admire that.

Maybe an employee was going to use them for ballast? And got out to gen pop accidentally.

I hand sorted most of them last night and have about 600 + to trash. Definitely one of those deals that turned out to be too good to be true in the end. I got them for half of retail price but more than half of them are in this condition so it would have been better and cheaper to buy retail.....

I hand sorted most of them last night and have about 600 + to trash. Definitely one of those deals that turned out to be too good to be true in the end. I got them for half of retail price but more than half of them are in this condition so it would have been better and cheaper to buy retail.....

Man that sucks to hear. Before reading Berger's response I might have been tempted to say that maybe you could just use them for identifying velocity nodes or getting a scope sighted in, but then again I have never seen an issue like that so it's a good thing you asked. Wonder what would have caused that, and what issues it would cause being fired.