• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions on the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP MRAD

The russian 1021

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2014
Just wondering what people think of it, as it might be the optic to go on my Rem 700 sps varmint in .308.
Will be my first real optic, the most expensive and only optic i have bought was a el cheapo p223 nikon for my ar.

Supposedly the 6-24 has better glass. I have the 6-24 and like it. Tons of info on this subject tho if you search.

It must be extremely difficult to find the 3,000 pages devoted to the PST.
There is a new way to find things called google, you could try that.

I would go with a Weaver 3-15 edmr

In that price range I would be looking at a Bushnell. I see a lot of good deals on used optics these days also.

For you, just google it people, i wanted to hear even more about it, so no need to be snippy :)
I think i will go with the 4-16.

The older 4-16"s had quite a bit more CA than the 6-24. The newer ones are similar to the 6-24 but the 6-24 is noticeably brighter and ever so slightly crisper. This is comparing 3 viper hs 4-16 to 3 ffp 6-24.

Haven't ran into any problems with all 6. Track well and function as intended.

I have the MOA version and I'm fairly happy with it. The glass isn't the greatest but otherwise I think it's a good option for the price. I may have looked at the Bushnells or Burris XTR IIs in that price range but they weren't available back when I got mine. I will say the reticle is nice but a tad thick at full power. The tracking is good but I've only taken it to 600 yards. The illumination is ok, but I rarely use it. I'd take a look at the 6-24 version with the EBR-2C reticle also.

Overall I'm happy with it but I'm thinking about selling it get a Bushnell ERS.

Just wondering what people think of it, as it might be the optic to go on my Rem 700 sps varmint in .308.
Will be my first real optic, the most expensive and only optic i have bought was a el cheapo p223 nikon for my ar.

Do a weaver or SWFA before a PST. PST glass is weak, read… I.E. …. Blury, smudgy, hazy. What ever you want to call it the other two especially the SWFA are superior.

I have the 4-16 FFP and sold it a few months ago. I wasn't happy with it. Very hazy/blurry. If it got dusky you might as well give it up. I'm on the hunt for my next scope now. If I was you I would look at others first before the Vortex.

Opinions on the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP MRAD

For the price, I'm liking mine. Ultimately it will end up on my AR and I will step up a peg or two to replace it on the bolt action it's on now. I found it to be surprising crisp and clear for the price and the turret tracking was spot on with my ballistic software.

Last edited:
I have one on a Savage .223 AI. It seems like a great scope for this rifle. Solid tracking and nice crisp turrets.
Glass? Works for me. I have used this scope to shoot steel out to 1000 yards (on a different rifle) no problems.
Seems glass is a much hotter topic on this forum than it used to be. That and real pretty rifles.

I had the 4-16 and the glass was horrible, I sent it back and Vortex and they flat out admitted that the glass wasn't as good as the 2-10 and 6-24. Im not even as spoiled as some people when it comes to glass and I was disappointed. 6-24 is great for the money.