• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Opinions or Experience with these working SxS RTV/UTV

onpoint

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Michigan
I am in the market for a good used RTV/UTV side by side. I am in Michigan so I would like to use for snow removal as well as landscaping around the house. Must have hard cab with heat. I have been looking at the following units and would like some feedback on your experience with each.

First is the Kubota X1100C

Second is the Polaris Brutus HD PTO

Third is the Bobcat 3650

The Polaris and Bobcat are same machine and can do some stuff the Kubota can't do that I think would be very useful.

I have the Kubota with the Boss plow. I like it. It pushes more snow with less drama than I expected.

The down sides are that it shifts more like a Russian tractor than a Japanese tractor. When plowing there is a lot of back and forth and when I had a right shoulder injury it hurt to shift.

The starter bears special mention, as with this Kubota has caused me nearly endless aggravation. A year or two back I even had a thread here asking for ideas. As soon as out of warranty sometimes it would only click without turning over. It got so I had to click it hundreds of times before it would turn over. Eventually I replaced the starter and it worked great, I was proud of myself. After about six months the same thing started again. WTF! So omitting a lot of how much of a pita thus was, my brother looked at it for me and disassembled the starter. He found it extremely corroded in the solenoid actuation contacts. So he polished them. Now it workes great again. I still had the original starter. We took it apart and it had the same problem.

Over all Ide get the RTV1100 again. I also have an old gator. The gator is fast and fun, but the tyranny would never hold up to plowing.

The Boss plow goes on and off easily. Just know that when its off the mounting bracket costs you some ground clearance.

Get a quote to install the plow from your local Boss dealer before you talk to the Kubota dealer. Chances are the Kubota dealer just takes it to him for the install, and marks it up a couple hundred.

20211205_094107.jpg

For hard work the Kubota is hard to beat. I live in rural Ohio. Sxs is commonplace on farms here. I have been on the kubotas they are work horses. Don't forget about the mule though. It's probably the best deal all around, very simple and reliable. I use my Canam for property work but the Kubota is more HD for work, just not as comfortable or fun.

I had a Kubota...they are heavy duty. I now have a Mule. Much faster but not as heavy duty. A good in between the Kubota and the go fast machines. Does solid work with my hay and cows etc. but fast enough to use as our hunting rig and quick back and forths to the garden and barns. The Kubota is a solid machine but slow and cumbersome. If all did was work it the Kubota would be a good choice but for me as a multi purpose the Mule is better.

Reactions: 1moaoff
I don't know if the op has kids. But I don't have any concern with my 9 of 11 year old anywhere on the farm with the Kubota. It's 20mph wide open. The Gator makes me sweat. Every time they take the gator I make them repeat their speed limits.

I have grandkids but this thing will be used around the house 5AC and plowing. I have a Kaw mule 610 4x4 now I want to replace with one of these. Its way to cold with soft top and heater. The brutus has a front PTO and attachments like blower, bucket and pallet forks that I think would come in handy. I just don't no much about them.

For hard work the Kubota is hard to beat. I live in rural Ohio. Sxs is commonplace on farms here. I have been on the kubotas they are work horses. Don't forget about the mule though. It's probably the best deal all around, very simple and reliable. I use my Canam for property work but the Kubota is more HD for work, just not as comfortable or fun.

They make one hell of a tractor.

Have you thought about one of the mini trucks ?? Might want to look at them .. had an older Mitsubishi.. full cab, heat, a/c… some have dump beds .. an at the time was way cheaper… I lifted mine added bumpers, push bars, roll bar .. bigger tires an wheels ..

Attachments

• 4A35578C-DABA-4D15-98E2-C1B40EA4C4FE.jpeg
    4A35578C-DABA-4D15-98E2-C1B40EA4C4FE.jpeg
    702.4 KB · Views: 61
The Kubota RTV-X1100c has a 24hp diesel engine, built in heat and air conditioning, the transmission is an HST with low, high, and reverse gears. You can also get a snowblower mounted on the front and it works very well.

As far as the hard shifting issue mentioned above, there is a hydraulic pressure dump valve that eases shifting when the brakes are applied and it may need adjusted or replaced. Top speed is limited to around 25mph due to the transmission design. It physically cannot go any faster.

Kubota now offers a gasoline powered RTV called the XG850 Sidekick. A factory cab isn't an option though and the Curtis cabs are expensive. They have a 2 cylinder engine built by Subaru and the drive system is a CVT belt much like a snowmobile. It's top speed is 40mph (governed).

I don't know much about the other machines, I've never worked on them.

Reactions: diverdon
diverdon,

I missed the part about the plow. Kubota makes their own plow system. A hydraulic angle or a V plow model are available with the same mount as a snowblower. I've never seen a Boss plow on an RTV and I doubt many Kubota dealers sell or install them, and they probably wouldn't warranty them either.

I would just buy a tractor if it’s for plowing.
Reason?

If you want hydraulic angle on the skid steer quick attach loader mounted plow you need a 3rd function which is more money. If you want the plow to run off of the loader valve it requires a completely separate mounting kit, and you need to remove the loader to install it.

The diesel RTV can pull train cars. The railroad here uses them all the time. I don't recommend actually pulling that much though. It also had a hydraulic dump bed and 4wd with a locking differential.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I operate a farm and we use a Yamaha Wolverine sxs and then a 100 hp 4 wheel drive loader tractor for our plowing and work related duties. I would never imagine something in between the two as they are so different. I guess I need to get with the times.

diverdon,

I missed the part about the plow. Kubota makes their own plow system. A hydraulic angle or a V plow model are available with the same mount as a snowblower. I've never seen a Boss plow on an RTV and I doubt many Kubota dealers sell or install them, and they probably wouldn't warranty them either.
My local dealer only sells the Boss plows. Boss has there own warranty through their dealer. At least that was the case three years ago when I got mine.

You use a 100hp tractor to move snow?
Yessir works great. I’m not saying I’m right it’s just what I use. This guys talking about yard work which my tractor would not be the best for.

As mentioned above, the Kubota is much more tractor like than the other two. This may be good or bad depending. I would rather have an actual tractor or SxS personally

I have a massey 4X4 tractor and backhoe. It's cold here and I sat out on it plowing snow for a few years. I am in my 60's now and am not going to do it anymore. What made me consider the brutus is they can lift from the front with bucket. My wife will find this nice as sne hates my big tractor.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
I think I have pretty much decided on the Polaris Brutus or Bobcat 3650. They are little hard to find. If you guys see a clean low hours one anywhere let me no. Not ruling out the Kubota but the shifting with plowing might be a real pain.