• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Opinions please on recent POF customer service exp

wortman

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2010
Hawaii
I am looking to see what everyones thoughts/opinions are on my recent pof customer service experience.

I recently purchased a brand new POF P308 16.5 np3 rifle in late December 2011 and upon arrival i noticed quite a bit of movement in between the upper and lower receivers and looked like about a 0.020" gap inbetween them. My first thoughts being a tool and die maker by trade was to measure the front pivot pin and hole size and the rear take down pin and hole size and also the hole sizes in the upper. After measuring I very quickly understood where all the slop was coming from and immediately emailed pof warranty. After a few back and forth emails and giving them the measurements i had taken they requested that i returned the firearm. So i returned the unfired brand new gun as received from the factory back to pof.

I received the firearm back from pof in late January 2012 which i thought was quick considering shot show, with a note stating pof replaced it with a new upper. My first impressions out of the box were good there was no longer any movement between the receivers, but on farther inspection i was extreamly disappointed. Upon opening the receivers i noticed an accu-wedge in place and when removed and closed the receivers still had all the slop and movement and seemed to be the same identical upper that i received upon purchasing the new firearm. This is not the fix i was hoping for.

To me this is like buying a brand new Mercedes and the hood not latching properly so you take it to the dealer and you find out their fix was to just duct tape it down.

This post is meant to be informative and not to be interpreted as complaining or bad mouthing pof. Any comments or opinions would be very helpful.

Best Regards,
Wortman

Re: Opinions please on recent POF customer service exp

I bought their 308 builders kit recently and i guess u can say it has some "play" in it as well. but its so little i doubt a wedge would be worth it. its more side to side play then up and down and i doubt it will have and ill effects on anything.

I can see where you are coming from though, new rifle that you dropped some serious coin on and there is a little slop between receivers. But im sure all receivers are going to have some play in them, some more then others depending on manufacturer.

Have you contacted them since receiving the rifle back? I am local and have been there a few times and they have always been more then professional and helpful. If they say that all their receivers (and everyone for that matter) will have a hair of play in it, then its your choice to have the wedge in it or send it back for a refund. Maybe others can chime in and say if their POF has play in it or not.

I think the main issue is the amount of play, definately not just a "hair". I have handled many ar platform firearms, im sure no where near the number as some of the good folks here. But I have never seen one with anywhere near this much. I also do not like the fact that the problem was not fixed, just the symptoms of the issue covered up.

I would like to see if anyother POF owners have experienced this as well.

Both of my POF 16" rifles have just a hair's worth of play. Not an issue in my 2, since they shoot remarkably well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomthebaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both of my POF 16" rifles have just a hair's worth of play. Not an issue in my 2, since they shoot remarkably well.</div></div>

Same with me. I've not had an issue out of either of my POF rifles. A very small amount of play from side to side.

To the OP, I would definitely get in touch with Rob Pettorsson (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=51605) as he works for POF and will get you taken care of.

Thanks for all the help and insight, the play in my pof is vertical nor side to side. this is because the hole in the upper is about 0.01 bigger than the rear take down pin

the play between the upper and lower will not cause any issues with accuracy or function of the gun.

I Have a POF 5.56 that I use a wedge in and I took out the play between the upper and lower. I also shaved the wedge down quite a bit so I wouldnt have a hard time trying to use the rear take down pin. I also have heard that if there is too much pressure caused by using the accuwedge you can run the risk of enlarging the take down pin holes.

The accuwedge is a cheap way of dealing with the slop. I use an accuwedge on one of my guns to get rid of the play between the upper and lower receiver and have no complaints. Its a lot cheaper then retooling your upper or getting a new upper receiver altogether.

If you got the know how you can address the issue by making a new take down pin hole that has tighter tolerances just FYI though it might make it a lot harder to use the take down pin or pins.

Some companies get around this with matched receiver sets.

I have a 20" P308 and it also has a little play in it. I've had no issues with accuracy.