• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions Rem 700 Varmint Synthetic or SPS Tactical

practical

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2007
England
Hi guys,

Its one of those I don't know which gun threads- Apologies.

But some of you may know more about the Remington 700 Varmint Synthetic- an older model then what's on offer now its just like the in this advert

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory---reno---fine-rifle---1827777-remvs.shtml

Does anyone know the barrel twist?

My needs are a rifle that I can happily play all day on the range, but I will find comfortable walking round a field shooting the occasional fox or other fluffy thing.

Originally I was looking at the SPS tactical, cutting the barrel to 16 inch as I will be adding a moderator and don't want it too front heavy. Targets wont notice the velocity drop and foxes to 200m wont either. or is my logic flawed?

I know I may eventually need to stiffen up or replace the stock.

Then a cheaper second hand rem VS came up which has got me thinking. slightly lighter barrel but still fairly thick for shooting on the range, stock seems like a good one, still suffers from flex though and £110 cheaper but second hand in good-excellent condition( good honest shop offering one year warranty with this gun)

Your thoughts,

Re: Opinions Rem 700 Varmint Synthetic or SPS Tactical

I've shot two of the VS models, one in 223 and the other in 22-250. I have the SPS-V in 243. I liked the trigger, stock, bottom metal, and finish better on the VS than the SPS-V. Both VS rifles out performed my SPS out of the box too. I couldn't afford the price of the VS when I was buying, so I went with the SPS and upgraded the stock, trigger, and finish as I could afford. My opinion is that the VS is a better stock rifle. If it has the pre-Xmark trigger, I'd go with the VS and shoot it stock. I'm wanting to say the twist was 1-12" on the 223. BTW, my SPS suffered from forearm flexing, I borrowed a VS stock to diagnose the problem and it went away
wink.gif

For a price standpoint, I would buy the 700 SPS-V, ditch the stock and get a Bell and Carlson and put a Timney trigger in it. You will have less in it than the $1100 that is on that advertisement you posted.

The reason I went with the sps tactical is the 1:9 twist. If you want to shoot bullets heavier than 55 grs I strongly suggest the sps tactical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a price standpoint, I would buy the 700 SPS-V, ditch the stock and get a Bell and Carlson and put a Timney trigger in it. You will have less in it than the $1100 that is on that advertisement you posted. </div></div>

The rifle shown has a $500 Leupold and rings. If it doesn't come with either, it definately isn't worth it. With them it makes for a $600 rifle with an HS stock and pre X-mark tunable trigger and a real blued finish. I went the SPS-V route with a B&C stock and a Rifle Basix trigger and am at $875 there alone without optics and dropped another $150 to get it duracoated to prevent the rust problems from the SPS finish. If you're going to strip it all the way to the action and build, go SPS. If you like the optics on the one from Cabelas and want to shoot it the way it is, I'd go VS. You could probably sell the scope, rings, stock, and trigger from the VS for over $600 even if you don't like them.

I believe my VSSF is a 14 twist but not gonna swear to it. Dosn't like anything over 55 grains but its an excellent shooter with the 52-55 gr. pills such as Amax's (best), Horn. HPBT and SMK's. It has been one of my favorites since I bought it several years ago. HS Pres. stock (factory), Shillin trigger, toped with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40. I shoot it to 500 (in calm wind) and I can honestly say its a .5 moa shooter with good ammo. When my friend offered to sell it to me at <100 rnds I was scepticle because of the slow twist, I'm sure glad I went through with the purchase.
wink.gif

okie

thanks guys for the replies.

The advert I have linked to is just for example of what model Im talking about, I am over the pond in the UK so the numbers are not going to add up when it comes to money.

VSF 22-250 Only thing done to it was trigger. 1/2 moa out to @500. 55grn ct, 3650 fps. Cant complain for a stock gun!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el diablo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason I went with the sps tactical is the 1:9 twist. If you want to shoot bullets heavier than 55 grs I strongly suggest the sps tactical. </div></div>

Each rifle can be a law unto itself. My .223 SPS-V with a 1:12 twist has given me my best, most consistent groups using 63 grain Sierra semi-point bullets over 25.5 grains of H-4895 in LC-09 cases. That's out of the box factory-stock. I have a B&C Medalist Varmint/Tactical stock on order and I expect to see even better performance when I switch. My second best groups are with 60 grain Hornady soft-points and 22.5 grains of H-322. Both are loaded to an OAL of 2.250".