• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions: Tikka T3 Lite vs T3 Superlite fluted.

ntensity

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2013
Hey guys,

This is a great forum here. I've been lurking for quite some time and am getting ready to jump into the bolt-action world after shooting semi for 10 years. I'll admit up front right now I'm a noob when it comes to long range shooting, but I wish to jump into it. The farthest I've shot accurately was 450 yards with a 20" AR so I know there is lots of room for me to improve on. I'm trying to decide between a Tikka T3 Lite and Tikka T3 Superlite (Fluted barrel) that my local Sportsmans Warehouse has in stock. Both in 30-06, as I've got Garands that shoot it and I'm planning on re-barreling it later when I can improve my skills enough to take use of a new barrel. The Superlite is $70 more, but that is not a huge deal to me ($699 vs $629) if it makes a difference. Any opinions on which route to take? Eventually I would like to put it in a better stock and such, but not until I learn the basics first.

I can't speak on the superlites but, between me and my brother, we have 3 (270 Win, 270 WSM, & 300 WM) T3 Lites. Except for the Mags kicking like a mule, they are great rifles. We have ABUSED every one of them for the past couple of years and they take it. They mean it when they say that it will shoot sub MOA. Ours will shoot anything that you feed thru the mags. If you reload, it's really easy to get them to shoot sub 3/4" MOA if you feel like playing with them. We have shot whitetail deer with them all the way out to 400yds with them. Never really tried to shoot groups on paper out that far with them due to the fact of having numerous custom rifles that we have. Hope this helps out a little. If you need to know any specifics, pm me and I will try to help you all I can.

do you want to hunt with it? generally light weight rifles with thin barrels dont work too well for LR shooting becasue the barrels heat up too fast and the stocks are uncomfortable in most positions.

308 is a good caliber to start with, so are the 260 and 6.5 creedmore

I have the T3 Lite in 30-06 stainless, with Talley low and VXr 2-7x33 it weighs 7 lbs 3 oz.

The difference between the Lite and super is 9 oz and the aesthetics of the fluting.

Mine shoots 155 scenars like a laser, it does well with 178's and 180's but they are not fun to shoot for extended volleys.

In short I see no advantage to the superlite, just drop half a pound from your rucksack and use the extra $70 toward the stock or an extra mag.

Thanks for the replies. I'll save the money and get the regular lite. They also have a .223 version that is blued. I'm thinking of picking this one up for the wife at the same time. Any opinions on the .223 version or the blued steel of the Tikka?

If the 223 is 1:8, I would get it. Tikka recently switched to 1:10. The 1:8 will allow you to throw some of the heavier bullets.

I have the light in 300wsm , it weighed in at 6.4 with rings and no scope. I would pay the $70 for 9 oz and pack a extra beer!