• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Opinions wanted on my scope mounting method

BIPMaster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2010
Arkansas
Since I lack experience in this area, I kinda had to make it up as a I go. I mounted a Vltor bipod on the rifle and used an Atlas monopod on the buttstock. I put a level on the rail, and adjusted the monopod until the rifle was level. I put the Leupold MK4 scope in the ADM mount, and used one screw at the top of each ring to hold the scope in place. I then put a level on top of the elevation turret to make sure the scope was level L to R. I then threaded in each screw and tightened them all down in a star pattern until they were all tight. Blue loctite was used on the threads. The reticle appears to be straight up and down as far as I can tell. I know this isn't a great method, but would like some opinions prior to taking it out to the range. Is this a "good" method for ensuring the scope is straight, or did I overlook anything?
Thanks!!

Re: Opinions wanted on my scope mounting method

Is the reticle level when the rifle is level? You say so.

Is the reticle level in the scope? (it is a Leupy, after all)

And is the erector assembly level with the turret caps?

BTW, I've never felt the need to Locktite scope ring threads.

Always check those stickies....good info to be had:

Mounting optics perfectly horizontal.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=86421&page=62#Post86421

Personally I would never rely on putting a level across a turret.

Level the receiver in a clamp (a small Wheeler level across the bolt rails works for me) and then align the vertical of the reticle with a known 90 degree vertical...I use the neighbours chimney 100 metres away....or similar structure/tall building. Tighten the scope rings down carefully checking no change in the levels as you apply torque.

Or

use Lowlight's feeler gauge method.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Always check those stickies....good info to be had:

Mounting optics perfectly horizontal.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=86421&page=62#Post86421

Personally I would never rely on putting a level across a turret.

Level the receiver in a clamp (a small Wheeler level across the bolt rails works for me) and then align the vertical of the reticle with a known 90 degree vertical...I use the neighbours chimney 100 metres away....or similar structure/tall building. Tighten the scope rings down carefully checking no change in the levels as you apply torque.

Or

use Lowlight's feeler gauge method. </div></div>

Thanks, I had forgotten about that sticky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cornholeo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Feeler gauge was quickest, easiest, and most accurate method used in my limited experience. </div></div>

agreed

I agree, I like the feeler gauge method. I also use a level on the turret. Then I hang a plumb-bob 50 - 100 yards away and make sure it is level. Then I compare the recticle to this with the the weapon level in some kind of vice. Probably a little overkill but dosen't take that much time and kind of triple checks everything.