• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions wanted on RCBS ChargeMaster Combo

samnev

First Sargeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 16, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    I have have many good things about this Combo and many bad things. Particularly the keypad on the chargemaster failing either out of the box or shortly therafter. Also the button keys when punched indicating the next # up. Any opinions appreciated.
    TIA

Re: Opinions wanted on RCBS ChargeMaster Combo

I bought mine last year and it works great. I've heard the same problems but I have never encountered them myself on my own unit or some of my friend's.

I believe RCBS has all the bugs worked out on this machine now.

I can only speak for myself. I've had one for about a year and I'd never go back to powder thrower, beam scale, etc. I've had no problems with mine and I use it probably 2-3 times per week. I use a combo of powders (i.e. H4350, RamShot TAC, R-17) and it's generally spot on.

My only complaint about it is that's it's a pain to empty out when your done using it. Other than that it works great. Don't forget to close the powder drain door before filling with powder when changing flavors
    wink.gif

"I have have many good things about this Combo and many bad things. Particularly the keypad on the chargemaster failing either out of the box or shortly therafter. Also the button keys when punched indicsting the next # up. Any opinions appreciated."

Okay, my opinion; What you hear is true. Like any other electronix gadget, if you get a good one you will have a good one. Otherwise ... not so good.

I'm older and prefer to be in total control of every step of my reloading so there are no digital scales or auto-dumpsters on my bench. Not only do I not need them, I've found they offer so little exta speed to my loading as to be irrelivant.

A digital powder dumpster is what it is. No flame intended but anyone who finds digitals to work much "faster" than a conventional powder handling system simply isn't using their measure-beam scale-trickler system correctly. Proper tool placement for a smooth work flow is VERY important and developing a good working rythum makes a LOT of difference too.

The work of emptying one and changing to a different powder is time too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echotango</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't forget to close the powder drain door before filling with powder when changing flavors
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

I did that ONCE.

CM1500 s awesome, way better then the lyman I had. RCBS will cover any problems you have with it so don't worry.just get it and never look back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A digital powder dumpster is what it is. No flame intended but anyone who finds digitals to work much "faster" than a conventional powder handling system simply isn't using their measure-beam scale-trickler system correctly. Proper tool placement for a smooth work flow is VERY important and developing a good working rythum makes a LOT of difference too.
    </div></div>

Fuzz, you've said this many times and every time I ask you to show/explain your setup to us, please do so. I'm asking because my manual set up is easily 5 times longer than my "dumpster" setup.

Shot, I've 'splained/described my own tool placement and work flow path several times but I don't have a photo to post so I've kind of given up on it. It's true but seems no one really cares so I no longer care either, guess I've just gotten too old and crabby to worry about it. ???
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echotango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only complaint about it is that's it's a pain to empty out when your done using it. Other than that it works great. Don't forget to close the powder drain door before filling with powder when changing flavors
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

I've taken a clear plastic Won-Ton 1 pint soup container that you get from the Chinese place and cut a section out that allows me to slip it under the drain spout, so when I open the 'plug', it all drains into this cup. You'll get an idea of how deep/wide, to cut the segment out if you look at the CM 1500's spout.

I then use this container to dump the powder back into the cannister.

Chris

I think every CM1500 owner has left the drain spout open one time or another and spilled powder all over their bench, its a right of passage!

I wouldnt trade mine for anything. Once you consider the cost of a quality scale and powder measure, you are not that far off of the price of a CM1500.

I have done it on more then one occasion.

Here's another doosy...make sure that if you ever use the check weight to check the scale in grams, you return it to grains before hitting the 'dispense' button.

I left it in grams and hit dispense while loading some 338LM and after about 500 grains of powder in the pan, I thought that it was spinning for too long. I caught it just as it was beginning to overflow.

Chris

Done that too, but I stopped it before it spilled, lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echotango</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't forget to close the powder drain door before filling with powder when changing flavors
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

I did that ONCE.

CM1500 s awesome, way better then the lyman I had. RCBS will cover any problems you have with it so don't worry.just get it and never look back. </div></div>

HAHA I've done this too. NOOOOO!! is the feeling you get when you see that expensive powder gushing onto the floor.

I also experienced the shortly out of the box keypad failure. RCBS replaced it easily enough, though I had to pay shipping and the wait was pretty long AND I was on hold forever. Apparently they had a bad batch of keyboards that weren't aligning with the electronics or something like that.

That being said, I couldn't dispense powder any other way. It is fast, its accurate, and its automatic. There are no worries about "will xxx meter through this" or anything like that. After seeing some of the bench pics here I'm thinking about running dual chargemasters like some of the other guys here. There is a thread running about tips to improve your chargemaster, I recommend anyone with one checks it out. I did the straw trick and reprogramming and it made mine run even better.

I have been using a Chargemaster for a few years. My original one died about year back. RCBS did replace it with a new one. I did have to pay shipping to send my old one back. The new one seems to work faster. I have had no problems since receiving the replacement. I personally would recommend purchasing one. If you have problems RCBS does stand behind their product.

I can attest to the open drain incident also but really like the CM. You will want to get a couple of straws for it though. Cut 1/4" section and stick it in the tip so it doesn't drop to much and go over on occasion. Some people have even had a bushing made. Very happy with mine. Competition rounds I am using the BR30 and trickle method to be as right on as possible but the CM does well. Leave it on a super flat, level, sturdy location and start it 30 min before use and it will be pretty dang close. Super awesome for H1000 kernels and 300 win mag. Dead on everytime.

Justin

I never turn mine off, it keeps everything warmed up all the time. I do use the check weights to see if I need to calibrate it, but I have never seen the need to, it always checks out.

the chargemaster is the workhorse of the loaders loft. Putting a red straw into the tube helped with overcharging - eliminated the .1 and .2 overweights I was getting. I have a little glass bowl that fits under the drain, and a funnel to transfer extra powder back into the can. I use extruded powder almost all the time so cleanup is a breeze.

if you are debating on whether to get one or not, and its not going to break the bank, I'd encourage you to purchase. While it dispenses the next charge, I seat the first. As a result, you never have more than one open, charged case at a time.

Ok, you all convinced me. Ordered one from Natchez this afternoon. Thanks for the advice.
    grin.gif
    smile.gif

Mine seem to last 1-2 years. Keypad always goes out. I really like it when it works though.

Does RCBS cover it if the keypad goes out at the 1-2 year mark?