• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes opinions wanted on vortex viper pst FFP

utahyote

Sergeant at arms
Minuteman
Guys all I know about these scopes are what I've read so I am looking for feedback from guys that have one. Does the zero stops work well? Is their illuminated reticle easy to use and nice? I am a die hard nightforce guy so how would you compare this scope to say a NXS 3.5-15 with ZS? Thanks Rob.

Re: opinions wanted on vortex viper pst FFP

I really have enjoyed my 4-16x50 ffp and 2.5-10x44 PSTs. Both are exceptionally clear and perfect for their rifles (22LR and PSR AR15 respectively). I have had no issues with the 4-16x tracking and have not had a chance to do a proper box test on the 2.5-10x. I haven't used the zero stop function on them yet as the 4-16x will be relocated soon and I've been messing with load development on my AR.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">The illumination is an issue. For some reason, the battery life is extremely short as in less than a week on or off. I have this happening with both scopes.</span> <span style="color: #FF0000">This has been corrected as the cap was not on 100%.</span> Another problem I had with the 4-16x was that when rotating the magnification ring, the reticle would rotate slightly along with the rotation. It was very small but screwed with holdovers considerably. I sent it in to Vortex and had it back within a week.

I also have two Nightforce scopes (12-42x56 NXS and 8-32x56 BR) but really there is no comparison. To my eyes, the NFs are brighter, crisper, and more rugged. I've not had any issue with my NFs' illumination or battery life unless I forget to turn it off. If I had the money, I would run F1s on all my rifles as I absolutely love Nightforce's construction but love ffp reticles.

Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can get this vortex for $760</div></div>

Well if you're not buying it, and assuming it is 4-16 FFP, can I buy it?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really have enjoyed my 4-16x50 ffp and 2.5-10x44 PSTs. Both are exceptionally clear and perfect for their rifles (22LR and PSR AR15 respectively). I have had no issues with the 4-16x tracking and have not had a chance to do a proper box test on the 2.5-10x. I haven't used the zero stop function on them yet as the 4-16x will be relocated soon and I've been messing with load development on my AR.

The illumination is an issue. For some reason, the battery life is extremely short as in less than a week on or off. I have this happening with both scopes. Another problem I had with the 4-16x was that when rotating the magnification ring, the reticle would rotate slightly along with the rotation. It was very small but screwed with holdovers considerably. I sent it in to Vortex and had it back within a week.

I also have two Nightforce scopes (12-42x56 NXS and 8-32x56 BR) but really there is no comparison. To my eyes, the NFs are brighter, crisper, and more rugged. I've not had any issue with my NFs' illumination or battery life unless I forget to turn it off. If I had the money, I would run F1s on all my rifles as I absolutely love Nightforce's construction but love ffp reticles.

Hope this helps.
</div></div>

Are you sure the illumination problem is with the battery dying? I just picked up a PST and am also having problems with the illumination. What I've noticed is that if I pull the battery out and put it back in, it will work again until it sits in the safe for a while. I guess that I need to contact Vortex, but I've not been motivated to since I just got the thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xdguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you sure the illumination problem is with the battery dying? I just picked up a PST and am also having problems with the illumination. What I've noticed is that if I pull the battery out and put it back in, it will work again until it sits in the safe for a while. I guess that I need to contact Vortex, but I've not been motivated to since I just got the thing.

</div></div>

I haven't tried that. I just assumed the battery was dead. Thanks for the heads up.

Did you guys tighten the cover until it stopped or just snug it? Reason I'm asking is I changed out the battery thinking first one was dead. Brand new one quit. I opened cover and wiggled battery and it worked again. Quit at the range next time again. This time, I tightened cover completely until it stopped hard, not just snug. I haven't been to the range yet, but I hit the bore with a rubber mallet a few times, then hit the butt against the ground a few times to simulate recoil and it is still working. I will check after next trip to the range but I am optimistic.

And make sure you're not leaving the ilumination on in one of the settings that you can't easily see that the reticle is illuminated.

Before I put my rifle away, I always turn the illumination on to the brightest setting and then turn it off. I've had my PST for 7 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocksteady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you guys tighten the cover until it stopped or just snug it? Reason I'm asking is I changed out the battery thinking first one was dead. Brand new one quit. I opened cover and wiggled battery and it worked again. Quit at the range next time again. This time, I tightened cover completely until it stopped hard, not just snug. I haven't been to the range yet, but I hit the bore with a rubber mallet a few times, then hit the butt against the ground a few times to simulate recoil and it is still working. I will check after next trip to the range but I am optimistic. </div></div>

Confirmed. Only ran 20 rounds but still working. A first. I had been afraid to over tighten and strip. After I tightened (there is a definite stop, not a gradual tightening), all the way till the designed stop, all is doing well. The battery had been vibrating loose from recoil. At least for me, there is no battery nor illumination problem with the Viper Vortex PST 6-24x50 SFP MOA. Sorry to spell it all out but I wanted to be very specific before anyone flamed the new guy. I really thought there was a problem like these other guys. I do not believe that is the case now. Of course there are always 1 or 2 sold out of thousands that may actually have a defect in any area. Mine is tracking great and working 100%. I am now a happy camper. I will update if there is a problem with battery drain. So far the Energizer I put in it is 5 weeks old and still going.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xdguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are you sure the illumination problem is with the battery dying? I just picked up a PST and am also having problems with the illumination. What I've noticed is that if I pull the battery out and put it back in, it will work again until it sits in the safe for a while. I guess that I need to contact Vortex, but I've not been motivated to since I just got the thing.
</div></div>

Guys. This is a known issue with Vortex. Give them a call and they will send you a new cap with different dimensions for your illumination. You don't even have to send in your scope. Mine works perfect since doing this.

All I had to do was tighten mine all the way down, as designed. Did a search on the hide under Vortex Viper PST battery cap and got no returns. I do not believe this is a known issue. At the moment, I'm inclined to believe it is a non-issue.

My Viper PST 6-24x50 has performed exceptionally well during the two months that I've owned it. Good glass, very repeatable, and plenty of internal adjustment when used with a 20 MOA base. The zero stop is easy to install, but mine goes about 13 clicks lower than the actual zero (gets you pretty close). I haven't had any problems with illumination as of yet. However, most of my shooting occurs during daylight hours. In my humble opinion, the Vortex is just as good as my Nightforce NXS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpetro64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Viper PST 6-24x50 has performed exceptionally well during the two months that I've owned it. Good glass, very repeatable, and plenty of internal adjustment when used with a 20 MOA base. The zero stop is easy to install, but mine goes about 13 clicks lower than the actual zero (gets you pretty close). I haven't had any problems with illumination as of yet. However, most of my shooting occurs during daylight hours. In my humble opinion, the Vortex is just as good as my Nightforce NXS. </div></div>

Ditto!

I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP for my 700 Remington LSS 257 Weatherby Magnum. I absolutely love that that scope. I currently have on order another Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP for my Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STW that I just got. I use the EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Base and Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical Picatinny-Style Rings Matte Low to mount the PST.

I finally had a chance to look through a 4-16x today.

Mirage was a bit of a problem today, but overall, I was not impressed with the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">clarity</span></span> of the scope. I didn't turn knobs (other than parralax) or change the magnification.

My targets of choice are the little round adhesive markers that you buy at Wally world in the office section. If memory serves they are either 1/2" or 3/4" colored circles.

When trying to observe them at 100 yards, I could not get a clear picture. The image was hazy and unresolved. The fellow that owned the scope also said that he had some resolving issues.

In defense to the scope, he kept fiddle farting with the ocular focus. I told him that he needed to set it and leaave it alone.

When I looked through it, the reticle was sharp and clear, I just could not get the target image <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">to my liking</span></span>.

Someone else may not have had an issue with it. I was comparing it to my IOR 3-18x42, which had zero issues resolving the dots at 100 at about 12 power. I rarely turn the scope up to 18 for short range work.

Several folks have commented that the 6-24 glass seems much better

My first trip to zero range was great. I had two 3 round groups to zero. I am impressed with resolution. Also shot a box and final 3 shot group on top of first 3 was less than 3/4 inch. These were shot with 5 mil adjustments at 100 yds. I took it home and set the zero stop and was .2 mils from zero. Vertical line lined up at the 1 mark on the elevation. Still have 18.7 mils up with a 20 MOA EGW base. I did notice the illumination did not work when I got home. I reinstalled the battery and tightened the cap. Hopefully under recoil it will still work. My only gripe so far. 4-16x50 FFP model.

I took a look at a 2.5-10X44 next to my 2.5-10X32 Nightforce today. I was impressed with the turrets on the PST, was not impressed by the glass. Was not even close to the NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took a look at a 2.5-10X44 next to my 2.5-10X32 Nightforce today. I was impressed with the turrets on the PST, was not impressed by the glass. Was not even close to the NF. </div></div>

it was also about 1/2 the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocksteady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I had to do was tighten mine all the way down, as designed. Did a search on the hide under Vortex Viper PST battery cap and got no returns. I do not believe this is a known issue. At the moment, I'm inclined to believe it is a non-issue. </div></div>

Right Glocksteady. I was just making it up. Whatever...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">The illumination is an issue. For some reason, the battery life is extremely short as in less than a week on or off. I have this happening with both scopes.</span> <span style="color: #FF0000">This has been corrected as the cap was not on 100%.</span>

</div></div>

Glad my tip helped. I was going a little nuts over it myself. I just got lucky and stumbled across the solution. I would hate to strip out a scope and ruin it. At least someone is breathing easier about their investment tonight. Happy shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Guys. This is a known issue with Vortex. Give them a call and they will send you a new cap with different dimensions for your illumination. You don't even have to send in your scope. Mine works perfect since doing this. </div></div>

My battery is still working after tightening the battery cap completely down. It is one of the newer 6-24x50 PSTs. I noticed you updated your post. I do not know which model of PST you have but I did see, from another thread, you do.

If Vortex redesigned a battery cap, then I would say the illumination had a "known issue" as you stated earlier. I want to apologize to you for being ignorant, and right the wrong. If you could post any specifics, like models effected, or production dates, this information could be helpful to others.

Steve

I have been very impressed with my 4-16. Shot the Thunder Beast Team Challenge with it and had nothing but perfect results through several days of desert sand and abuse.

I wouldn't give a rotten egg for a NF scope, but I am pleased with the performance of the Vortex scopes I own or have used.

Hey no worries Steve. I'm sure we were both just trying to help.

I have the 4-16 FFP. It is my second since I got my first from the first batch out I believe, and sent it in for an exchange after the turrets and reticle were upgraded.

My replacement scope did suffer from the same symptoms for the illumination and having to pull the battery to fix it. I called Vortex and as soon as I described the problem they knew exactly what I was talking about and sent me a new illumination cap. The new one seemed a little deeper than the original and works without a hitch.

I would imagine the newer scopes come with the better illumination cap but IF you are having this problem I would recommend you call Vortex. They will take care of you regardless.

Mine has been a great scope ever since.